What brand.

Serg5000

I'm putting my list of parts together for my D-44 front axle build. I was wondering what you guys recommend as car as brand. I will be running 37's so quality is important.

Serg5000

Lets say I am using a Rubicon D-44 housing. What brand of internals would you recommend?

Locker?
Gear set?
Axle shafts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Serg5000 said:
Lets say I am using a Rubicon D-44 housing. What brand of internals would you recommend?

Locker?
Gear set?
Axle shafts?

- ARB locker
- All the gears are made by the same manufacturer so to doesn't matter who you go with
- Any basic chromoly shafts will do the trick so long as you make sure to get them with full circle clips. I personally would wast your money on RCVs and would use the money you save to get a set if pro steer ball joints. A much better value.

Serg5000

Thanks for the info Eddie. I'm asking because the PR44 is out the door.
My daughter has informed us she is getting married and being parents we are going to have to form over all my jeep money. Sucks for my jeep. But happy for her.

I found a D-44 front housing pretty cheap so I think that's the route I'm going to roll with. Having 37's in the garage already is killing me.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Congrats! The jeep will always be there, but the kid only gets married once!

Serg5000

You guys know which shafts are full C clip. I have been ready and the sites seem to say that they come with everything needed but I don't see any mention about the inner full C clip.

Serg5000

wayoflife said:
- ARB locker
- All the gears are made by the same manufacturer so to doesn't matter who you go with
- Any basic chromoly shafts will do the trick so long as you make sure to get them with full circle clips. I personally would wast your money on RCVs and would use the money you save to get a set if pro steer ball joints. A much better value.

One other question. Running 37's. would I be crazy not to sleeve? I already got my C-gussets and LCA skids. Before putting those on I wanted to see what you guys thought about sleeving.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One other question. Running 37's. would I be crazy not to sleeve? I already got my C-gussets and LCA skids. Before putting those on I wanted to see what you guys thought about sleeving.

never ran sleeves on moby and not running any on rubicat now. they are cheap insurance but, far from necessary.

Serg5000

wayoflife said:
never ran sleeves on moby and not running any on rubicat now. they are cheap insurance but, far from necessary.

Thanks Eddie. I appreciate any advice I can get.

Serg5000

Well as of now I have install the EVO gussets and skids. I have also installed sleeves. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image-1863590094.jpg
    image-1863590094.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image-3056448093.jpg
    image-3056448093.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 34

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Eddie... here's where you and I have different opinions. I like the RCV's and over the years on several different vehicles have given me great service without issue. I wouldn't put anything else in. Just my 2 cents.

Trail_Creeper

What did you use to get the metal shavings out of the tubes? Magnet?

That seems to be my only worry about putting the sleeves in at the house.

Serg5000

Trail_Creeper said:
What did you use to get the metal shavings out of the tubes? Magnet?

That seems to be my only worry about putting the sleeves in at the house.

Take a rag and go in from the gear side. Use a broom stick to push the rag. Do this a couple time using a different rag each time and you end up with clean tubes.

Serg5000

Trail_Creeper said:
Did you pull the diff while doing this?

My diff is on the bench so it was a piece of cake. If I were you I would definitely pull it and do the work on a bench. It will be much easier to work with. Makes welding a breeze.

Top Bottom