bestop trektop nx

blackops

I bought a jkur with the trektop already installed. This thing is terrible. Rain that collects on the top literally runs into the jeep through the front corners at the header. The header seems to be made flat instead of matching the contour of the windshield frame making large gaps at each corner. Furthermore, the header doesnt clamp forward far enough to contact the part of the seal that runs along the top of the frame. These flaws contribute to an annoying amount of wind noise. The bars that prevent water from puddling on the top constantly rattle and squeek. I have searched and only found a couple of reviewers that reported the same issues but I am hesitant to buy another one of these tops only to have the same problems. So my question is; do those of you that have this top just deal with similar issues or did I get a flawed one? IF I were to buy another one, could I expect to have a quality top or another pos to deal with? I can't say for 100% that it is installed correctly but I have a pretty solid mechanical background and can't find anything wrong. Opinions?
The jeep does have an orfab sport cage, but I don't see this being the issue as the doors meet the windshield nice and tight and the trektop mounts to mostly factory locations rather than the on the orfab portion of the cage. Thanks

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I have a twill Trektop NX and I think it is better quality than the premium Mopar soft top. Mine doesn't leak and has LESS (almost none) wind noise than the premium top. In fact it resolved the flapping I got as a result of having turbulence induced by a 50" light bar.

Hobolobo

I have the regular trektop nx and have no problems with leaks or wind noise. Yours may be defective or was installed improperly.

blackops

Yeah, I'm thinking it was bad from the get go too. I just wanted to get a feel for other people's experiences with this top. I really like the design and would ultimately like to replace it but not if I'm going to have the same problems with a new one.

Hack12

Yeah, I'm thinking the original owner completely botched the install. I had mine on for over 3 years with absolutely none of those issues. :yup:

blackops

Thanks for the responses, looks like I will try another trektop. I will look forward to seeing what differences there are if any between the two tops. At least I should have some extra parts when this is said and done.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Give it a shot, they are really awesome. Love mine zero issues and little wind/road noise!

MikeO

I have the same exact problem. I've sent mine back 3 times and the ones they have sent back all did the same thing. The top doesn't meet the windshield and the corners act like big sails. What am I doing wrong?

JKMag

Ive had 2 soft tops from bestop and they both did leak when first installed until they sat in the sun for a week or so. Do you have any pics of where the issue is?

Jeepfan30

I just installed a twill Trektop NX last week, it replaced my twill OEM soft top. The new Teektop is awesome! No leaks and it's actually quieter than the OEM twill top. Mine has been amazing so far, I will leave this top on year round.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not that I haven't heard of some people having problems with leaks before but, I run a TrekTop on both my JK's and don't have any. I almost have to wonder if the leaks have anything to do with the position of the windshield. Being that it is designed to be folded down, I wonder if maybe some come from the factory positioned a bit differently than others. Certainly, I wouldn't be impossible and it is something I have seen even with my factory soft top after installing an OR-Fab cage which requires you to fiddle around with the windshield during install. If it's not put back at a specific point, you will have issues. Just a thought and me thinking out loud.

Bacon

The only time my Trektop pours water into the Jeep is if it is parked facing downhill. The water collects at the header then runs into the Jeep when I open the door. Level or uphill I have no issues. Other than that I do have an ungodly wind noise that comes in the front about 3/4 of the way over to the passenger side. Not really sure what causes it. It was really annoying at first, but I just got used to it I guess.

Bacon

Oh yeah, I bought mine used so sending it back isn't an option. I have no idea what the po did to it. I do know he was going back to a stock soft top.

blackops

Finally had some warmer weather and time to look over this top. The previous owner had the support tube installed that goes between the drivers and passenger sides of the jeep just in front of the rear doors. However, because of the OR Fab cage, this support tube was not allowed to sit in it's "cradles" that are molded into the door surrounds. Anyway, I removed the tube and there is a definite improvement in the way the header fits, it's not perfect but I'm hoping that once the top gets exposed to direct sunshine that it will improve even more.

Before you go and spend the $800 on a new top check a couple of things first. Very first thing is the header where is clamps down. Mine was cracked on the inside of each latch which causes a whole lot of noise and water intrusion. I called BestTop and was able to get a new header and top canvas cheaper than a new top. Took about 4 days to arrive. If you know the previous owner you can have them warranty it for you. Another option is if you have a BestTop dealer near you, see if they will warranty it. For the rattling spreader bars they should tighten up with the new top if not use a small piece of felt to act as a cushion.

If the bar you are referring too sits on top of the sound bar, remove it and place on a curb and apply slight pressure to put an arch in it. I had to do the same thing with mine since I have the same cage. Works great.

R/
Will

blackops

Before you go and spend the $800 on a new top check a couple of things first. Very first thing is the header where is clamps down. Mine was cracked on the inside of each latch which causes a whole lot of noise and water intrusion. I called BestTop and was able to get a new header and top canvas cheaper than a new top. Took about 4 days to arrive. If you know the previous owner you can have them warranty it for you. Another option is if you have a BestTop dealer near you, see if they will warranty it. For the rattling spreader bars they should tighten up with the new top if not use a small piece of felt to act as a cushion.

If the bar you are referring too sits on top of the sound bar, remove it and place on a curb and apply slight pressure to put an arch in it. I had to do the same thing with mine since I have the same cage. Works great.

R/
Will

Yeah, thats the bar. Hadn't thought about bending it, but I think I'm going to leave it out for now to give the header more "slack" so that maybe it will seat a little better over time. That bar was definitely the issue though, with the bar Installed the fabric of the top never touched the front bow which allowed it to rattle and squeek. Now the fabric is drawn tight over the bow.
Thanks for the tips!

ctznarcane

I had an issue with mine last fall as well. I pulled back the top piece from the header once I got the top off for the winter and found that all the small screws that hold the header together had worked their way loose (at least 10 or so across the header).

I tightened them all up but couldn't try it out again as it was already in the 40's outside by then.

I'll try putting it back on this week and see if tightening the screws helped (a little late in the year I know; been busy).

While that was going on, the vendor sent me another top so at least I have a backup. :yup:

Rud

Bestop Trektop NX (07-16 Wrangler JK 4 Door)

I hate researching a product sometimes. It seems for every one that likes something someone else hates it. On the newb run Moby had a Trektop as did others. I am leaning towards this deal for summer and because the wife likes the look. what say you all, fair quality price @ $730 online?

I hate researching a product sometimes. It seems for every one that likes something someone else hates it. On the newb run Moby had a Trektop as did others. I am leaning towards this deal for summer and because the wife likes the look. what say you all, fair quality price @ $730 online?

Is it new or used?

Top Bottom