EVO Rock Skin Install Q's

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Probably going to be ordering EVO Rock Skins tomorrow and had a few questions regarding the install.

- It is my understanding that the skins are held on using nutserts. Anyone have any tips for the install? Is it worth it to pick up a specific tool such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003T...&dpID=415V8ro2CWL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

- In terms of sealing the skin to the body, just a high quality clear silicone all the way around?

- Any other install tip anyone wants to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
ERAU

I know there are several who have installed these and will chime in.

I will suggest if you do use a sealant then go with a non acidic sealant. You will have to read the labels.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yup make sure you get a good nutsert tool. There is a really good one that skarkey always suggests but I can't think of the name right now.

As far as silicone goes I used the The Right Stuff from Permatex. Make sure you put it around the bolt holes and around the edges the keep water from getting behind the skins.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You want this.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420933176.559856.jpg

It's more than worth the money, trust me. Try to find some friends that also need it and split the cost.

MTG and I went through two or three cheap harbor freight versions before he bought this. The difference is night and day, and it's hours not just minutes.

Use a lot of clamps and straps, and take your time if you want it to be nice.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Yup make sure you get a good nutsert tool. There is a really good one that skarkey always suggests but I can't think of the name right now.

As far as silicone goes I used the The Right Stuff from Permatex. Make sure you put it around the bolt holes and around the edges the keep water from getting behind the skins.

Thanks for the suggestion!

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
You want this.
View attachment 118665

It's more than worth the money, trust me. Try to find some friends that also need it and split the cost.

MTG and I went through two or three cheap harbor freight versions before he bought this. The difference is night and day, and it's hours not just minutes.

Use a lot of clamps and straps, and take your time if you want it to be nice.

Pretty sure that is the same one I linked above. Good to know I'm on the right track! :)

I'm all about having the right tool for the job so this will be going in the Amazon cart tonight!

Thanks Sharky!
ERAU

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Just to clarify, I will be installing the Rocker Panel Rock Skins, not the corner skins (maybe after I successfully tackle the rocker panels!)

Another quick question, what size drill bit is necessary? I have a couple of sheet metal stepping bits, but just want to be sure they step to the correct size.

Panda

Just to clarify, I will be installing the Rocker Panel Rock Skins, not the corner skins (maybe after I successfully tackle the rocker panels!)

Another quick question, what size drill bit is necessary? I have a couple of sheet metal stepping bits, but just want to be sure they step to the correct size.

3/8 is the final hole size to drill, use little pressure when drilling, a sharp high quality drill bit will drill a much better hole in the thin body metal, the nutsert should be very snug!

I just ordered one of these 3/8 spot weld cutters (Roto-Kut) tools for 30 bucks. They are supposed to be the best for these type of holes. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421002895.226267.jpg
I have used a new 3/8 bit when I put on my EVO rock skins and had the very bottom holes in the front section be bigger than I wanted as the tip of the bit grabbed the next layer of sheet metal. Hope this tool helps on the holes for my EVO tire carrier install.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
All good stuff guys! I'm planning on drilling a small pilot hole first, then finish the hole to the correct size with a new sheet metal stepping bit.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I see your in the Bay Area let me know if you need help, I still have crippledpetey's nutsert tool I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I used it to pop some nutserts into your rig :thumb:

I'm gonna need that and your expertise before too long myself. :thumbup:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I see your in the Bay Area let me know if you need help, I still have crippledpetey's nutsert tool I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I used it to pop some nutserts into your rig :thumb:

That's funny, I just was loading up my Amazon cart with the tool!

Would you be up for helping out one afternoon this week or maybe Saturday? Maybe I can repay ya in beer? :)

Panda

That's funny, I just was loading up my Amazon cart with the tool!

Would you be up for helping out one afternoon this week or maybe Saturday? Maybe I can repay ya in beer? :)

Next Saturday I'll be at RubiRick's installing an axle but any other time no prob, no repay necessary but I do love red wine :yup:

Top Bottom