Stock 17inch wheel

bl17z90

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find a straight answer so since I have seen members of project-jk do it I'll ask here. What is the widest tire you can run on the 17 that comes stock on the jk?

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Let's get this thread goin' cause it's a really good question for us newbies. I've got 17x7.5 Rubi wheels and I'm currently running the stock 255x75x17's. I've been told the largest reasonable tire to put on them is a 285x70x17 so I'm gonna lift her up 2.5" and go with the 285's. That's the current plan. If I can swing the extra bucks I'd like to go with 8.5x17 wheels. It's not hard core but they'll take me way deeper than stock.:thinking:

Tackerdown

Banned
If that is correct a 285/75/R 17 would be perfect for what I'm looking for. That would be 33.8" tires and with the 2.5 BB lift I want it should look sweet. Thanks for the post.

RGolie13

I found the answer to your question in the JK FAQ section in a sticky at the top of this forum.

Q: What is the biggest size tire I can fit on my stock Jeep JK Wrangler?
A: The largest tire size that the factory recommends is a 255/75R17 (which comes standard on Rubicon models) or a 32x10.50. However, there are many Jeep JK Wrangler owners who are currently running as big as 285/70R17 or 33x10.50's with little to no rubbing issues. PLEASE NOTE: When discussing tire size, DO NOT take into consideration what the "actual size" of the tire is but rather, just what is listed on the sidewall.

RGolie13

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find a straight answer so since I have seen members of project-jk do it I'll ask here. What is the widest tire you can run on the 17 that comes stock on the jk?

A guy at the local 4x4 shop here put 35's on his wife's jeep with a 2.5 " Old man Emu lift.

bl17z90

I wasn't worried about height, i have a 2.5 so i know i can run 35's but i wasnt sure if 12.5 would work. I saw a jeep in the moab and the rubicon videos that had the stock wheel and in pretty sure noone in project jk runs less than 35.

Btw fyi the rubi tires (bfg km mt) are 255/75r17 but that same size is also avalible on the sport just a goodyear street tire not a mt.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I run a 35 inch tire that is 12.5 inches wide on the stock rims for a few months now and so far it's doing great with no problems.

bl17z90

I know its been done i just want to make sure noone has issues with the wide tire on the narrow rim. Anyone know what kindnof articulation I'll get with 35's on a 2.5 inch lift? I wonder if the tires eould hit the fenders before the bump stops hit.

Top Bottom