AEV dana 44 skid plate

G'day all just a quick question I have read that AEV have there good and bad points and was wondering if anyone is running a AEV DANA 44 skid plate as I'm looking at buying one and would like to know if there any good.

Thanks Jarrod

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Waste of money, if you want added protection get aftermarket diff covers

Actually the stock differential covers do the job quite well.......aesthetically the aftermarket covers may look better in their design but they don't really add more protection over the oem covers.....my :twocents:

~Woodrow~

Tanner505

Actually the stock differential covers do the job quite well.......aesthetically the aftermarket covers may look better in their design but they don't really add more protection over the oem covers.....my :twocents:

~Woodrow~

Except when you hit them hard enough on a rock to dent them in and then your ring gear gets damaged

Thanks for your help but the skid plate got to help with sliding over rocks and protect you join agents rocks or coming down hard on rocks I will look at upgrading to a 60 in the future

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Except when you hit them hard enough on a rock to dent them in and then your ring gear gets damaged

Never seen it happen......I've put a few dents in mine.....peeled the bottom back a few times.......but nothing a hammer couldn't fix.......I actually grinded the bottom of mine back so the edge doesn't catch any more....problem solved for me......you hit something hard enough it's going to break or bend....oem or aftermarket.......I'll stick with my oem covers.....they haven't failed me yet.......:twocents:

~Woodrow~

Last edited:

David1tontj

I've never had it happen to me but have seen other people go full retard when going off road

No worries- I've done It twice.. And the ring gear didn't get damaged, but the ring gear cuts through the cover and spits out all your gear oil. Both times were in rock garden sections of trail when I got a little overwhelmed and lost track of where each rock was. Here's a pic of each section of trail on the day each happened on.

"Tsf crushers". If you zoom in, even the small rocks have scrapes on them... That's because they are all big enough to hit your diff..
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421025151.263355.jpg

And "quack attack"
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421025252.577732.jpg

But if you guys think you can keep track of all those rocks, and don't feel like you need to protect something that will leave you high and "dry" if damaged, then by all means- go for it. Just carry spare gear oil, a hammer, and some jb weld.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
No worries- I've done It twice.. And the ring gear didn't get damaged, but the ring gear cuts through the cover and spits out all your gear oil. Both times were in rock garden sections of trail when I got a little overwhelmed and lost track of where each rock was. Here's a pic of each section of trail on the day each happened on.

"Tsf crushers". If you zoom in, even the small rocks have scrapes on them... That's because they are all big enough to hit your diff..
View attachment 118822

And "quack attack"
View attachment 118823

But if you guys think you can keep track of all those rocks, and don't feel like you need to protect something that will leave you high and "dry" if damaged, then by all means- go for it. Just carry spare gear oil, a hammer, and some jb weld.

Guess there's a reason you went from 37" BFG A/T to a 39.5" SS IROK ! LOL

Top Bottom