Gear ratio vs axle ratio

BillTheCat

Received and installed my new Superchips Traildash. As denoted in my signature, I have a stock JKUR with a 3.5' lift and 315/70/R17 Duratracs. I reprogrammed the axle ration from 3.73 to 4.10 and the check engine light came on with an error. Apparently, I'm unclear as to the definitions of gear and axle ratios.

Do you have an automatic? If so you have 3.73 gears not 4.10's unless you just had it regeared. This is probably why your check engine light is on.

Axles do not have ratio's only gears do.

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Received and installed my new Superchips Traildash. As denoted in my signature, I have a stock JKUR with a 3.5' lift and 315/70/R17 Duratracs. I reprogrammed the axle ration from 3.73 to 4.10 and the check engine light came on with an error. Apparently, I'm unclear as to the definitions of gear and axle ratios.

Why did you change your axle ratio? Your check engine light came on and you're most likely in limp mode now because of it. The only thing you want to do is input the correct tire size as measured from the center of your wheel to the ground x2.

jfallon1

You only change the axle ratio on the programmer if you've changed them in your axles.

BillTheCat

Why did you change your axle ratio? Your check engine light came on and you're most likely in limp mode now because of it. The only thing you want to do is input the correct tire size as measured from the center of your wheel to the ground x2.

I reset it back to 3.73 as soon as it came on. Engine light is gone. Tire height I set to 34.5 since they are 315/70/R17's.

bsimon187

My old duratracs were the same size as yours and measured out to 33.5. That is what I used in my pro cal for calibration.

AncientTrail

I measured from the middle of the axle to the top of the tire x 2. The weight of the jeep will cause a bulge in the tire. Think about it ;)

Good Luck with it!

That isn't the correct way to do it.

Agreed. The reason you measure from the center down is to get an actual radius for a circumference calculation. Center to top would be unloaded and cause the measured speed to be high.

Edit - Sorry I left out the X2 to get the diameter for a usable number.... but it's covered later anyway ;)

Last edited:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I measured from the middle of the axle to the top of the tire x 2. The weight of the jeep will cause a bulge in the tire. Think about it ;)

Good Luck with it!

wrong as said above measure with a good tape measure and a level on top of the wheel to get an accurate reading.....and check the tire pressures before (get your mean pressure!!!)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
wrong as said above measure with a good tape measure and a level on top of the wheel to get an accurate reading.....and check the tire pressures before (get your mean pressure!!!)

Sorry but, putting a level on top of your tire and using that point to measure will give you a WRONG measurement. You NEED to measure from the center of the wheel to the ground and x2. This is the only thing your speed sensor will care about and you only x2 because your computer can only take a diameter size.

AncientTrail

That isn't the correct way to do it.

My thinking is this, if you took your tire off with no load and measured it, you would get the same reading regardless if you measured from top or bottom. No change in diameter from load. Round is round. Once you put a load on the tire (bulge) you will get a different reading from the bottom as you would the top ( no bulge ) think of a ball that is round then you add pressure and it's no longer round, correct?

What am I missing?

Willing to learn....

:beer:

Top Bottom