2010 JKU Transmission fail

Krieger

So today started out as good as any day could, but on the way home from work my jeep popped out of gear after accelerating from a stoplight. I coasted into a parking lot and tried to get it back into gear. 1st and 2nd was all I could get, and reverse was a no go. I pushed it out of the parking spot in attempt to drive it in 2nd down to my buddy's shop, but after about 30 yards it popped out of gear again and threw a check engine. I wasn't going anywhere. While waiting for the tow truck I read the codes and here is what I got. It's a goner. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421119487.926438.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421119510.270558.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421119524.558116.jpg
Since its likely I'm going to have to dump some more coin into this thing, what is my best bet? Is there a stronger / better option for transmissions or am I better off just sticking with stock specs? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421120422.455346.jpg

SFNick

You could always put a GM 6L80E! :thumb: But you would have to switch to a GM LS engine$$$$$$$ ;)

10frank9

Web Wheeler
That blows. I hear the trannys finally got better in '11. I can only imagine what a new one will run. :grayno:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, you're kinda stuck with the 42RLE. At least, if you stick with the 3.8L anyway.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I remember seeing an aftermarket 42RLE that was supposed to be heavier duty. (For some reason I think it was purple or red). I have no idea if it is any good. I think there was a post about it in Brankz' tranny thread.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I remember seeing an aftermarket 42RLE that was supposed to be heavier duty. (For some reason I think it was purple or red). I have no idea if it is any good. I think there was a post about it in Brankz' tranny thread.

Jelliot076 had a purple trans installed in his 2010 jk after his factory one died. He had a thread on it. I think it was close to 5 grand but had a big warranty.

Top Bottom