Front axle questions

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Looking to swap out my factory front Rubicon axle and had a few quick questions.

- Talking with NR4x4 this morning, it sounds like a fully built up PR44 will run me about $5k. This would include the ARB lockers, RCVs, ProSteer ball joints and 4.88 gears. Am I missing anything or should I consider a different combination?

- When it comes to selling the factory D44, what is a reasonable selling price? It has roughly 9,000mi on it, the factory locker and ProSteer ball joints.

Thanks!
ERAU

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I dont know if you have looked into it but another option fmay be to do the PR44 made to swap the factory lockers over into. Be a little cheaper for now. Then just re gear the rear axle to match.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Looking to swap out my factory front Rubicon axle and had a few quick questions.

- Talking with NR4x4 this morning, it sounds like a fully built up PR44 will run me about $5k. This would include the ARB lockers, RCVs, ProSteer ball joints and 4.88 gears. Am I missing anything or should I consider a different combination?

- When it comes to selling the factory D44, what is a reasonable selling price? It has roughly 9,000mi on it, the factory locker and ProSteer ball joints.

Thanks!
ERAU

you can save yourself quite a bit of money on a new pro rock if you order it thru Off Road Evo with chromoly shafts and no ball joints. then you can swap over your pro steers you already have. should save you close to $500 or so.

some people sell them for around $1500 +/- a few hundred

jeeeep

Hooked

Thanks!
ERAU

couple of things I'd recommend, save some money by getting Ten Factory or similar axle shafts instead of the RCV's, you can swap your ProSteers from the D44 to the PR44 and use the savings for other fun stuff.

RCV's are strong but if something were to break, I'd rather have the break on the outside of the differential not inside the differential.

NAUJK

I may have done the math wrong when I was buying my PR44 but when I looked at EVO the money you save on the shafts was taken up in the shipping cost and the amount tha EVO charges for the ARB Locker. When you buy through Northridge you get the ARB FOR 850$ while EVO makes it like over 1000$ so you dont save anything on money wise other than youre getting shafts that will break outside of the diff rather than inside as is mentioned above. I could be wrong about that and missed something but that is what I found when looking at my PR44.... That is why I went through NR rather than EVO, and Dave at NR is a great guy and great Costumer service.

A PR44 is a very expensive investment but it is one you will love and never regret... at least I dont at all I love the thing! :crazyeyes:

Also as mentioned before I have seen them for 1500 +- a few hundred which could help fund the new PR44.

Also also .... out of random curiosity ERAU as in Embry Riddle Aero Uni? Which campus?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I may have done the math wrong when I was buying my PR44 but when I looked at EVO the money you save on the shafts was taken up in the shipping cost and the amount tha EVO charges for the ARB Locker. When you buy through Northridge you get the ARB FOR 850$ while EVO makes it like over 1000$ so you dont save anything on money wise other than youre getting shafts that will break outside of the diff rather than inside as is mentioned above. I could be wrong about that and missed something but that is what I found when looking at my PR44.... That is why I went through NR rather than EVO, and Dave at NR is a great guy and great Costumer service.

A PR44 is a very expensive investment but it is one you will love and never regret... at least I dont at all I love the thing! :crazyeyes:

Also as mentioned before I have seen them for 1500 +- a few hundred which could help fund the new PR44.

Also also .... out of random curiosity ERAU as in Embry Riddle Aero Uni? Which campus?

All good information guys!

Graduated from the Prescott campus in 2004. You?

07JKSahara

That's what I need. Keep me posted if you move on the PR. I'll start to introduce the idea to the wife (might take some time.)

jeffj

Caught the Bug
If you get the pr from north ridge they have it equipped with the 30 spline arb and shafts. If you get it from EVO it would have the 35 spline arb and shafts. I have heard the the 35 spline arb is a better locker. And at the splines the axel is a lot stronger.

rinkishjk

You can get the pr44 housing for the rubicon and swap in all your parts from your axle. I believe it's around 1300$. The housing for the 35 spline arb is different than the one for the stock rubi locker.

CJW

Also note that Wayalife is run'n a PR44 in the front of Rubicat with factory internals from their original rubicon D44. They've had one shaft break and that's the only new internal part......may be worth saving some money and just swap over your internals. It seems that Eddie gets out to wheel more often than most off roaders and does harder trails. So I'd think if it's workin for him that it would also work for most everyone else.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
If you get the pr from north ridge they have it equipped with the 30 spline arb and shafts. If you get it from EVO it would have the 35 spline arb and shafts. I have heard the the 35 spline arb is a better locker. And at the splines the axel is a lot stronger.

Interesting. I didn't know this. I was pretty sure northridge ships them with RCV shafts that are 35 spline

Top Bottom