Loss of power with snorkel???

Aldonoward3

Attention all Those with snorkels!!!!!

After your snorkel instal, did you notice any loss of power?

I just installed the RIPP Cold air intake for snorkels and will be adding the river raider safari snorkel tomorrow or Thursday and I'm curious as to what my power is going to do...

I am currently running my 2013 JKU with 35s, 3:73 gears, superchips FlashPaq, RIPP CAI....

Any advice? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421207695.612428.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421207714.248505.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421207734.014551.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421207754.378537.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My advice would be to dump the CAI and get gears. ;)

That said, the dynos I have seen show a loss in power due to a snorkel. Whether you feel it is something that I can't speak to from personal experience so I won't.

Wethy

Not to jack your thread but what kind of mileage you getting with those 3.73s and your 35s? Curious as i have 3.73s also and am debating 33s 35s or maybe a compromise between at 34? And is yours stick or auto?

pastorwug

My advice would be to dump the CAI and get gears. ;)

That said, the dynos I have seen show a loss in power due to a snorkel. Whether you feel it is something that I can't speak to from personal experience so I won't.

This is what I've always heard as well, I have an AEV snorkel and I believe it restricts flow somewhat, but then, peace of mind when I cross the Amazon!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
This is what I've always heard as well, I have an AEV snorkel and I believe it restricts flow somewhat, but then, peace of mind when I cross the Amazon!

Totally understood. Having hydrolocked a vehicle when I was younger, I will give a snorkel consideration in my next Jeep.

LeighP

The original AEV was a smaller volume unit than the current one.
I have the 3.6 Gen II version and I can't tell any power drop at all......

Aldonoward3

Not to jack your thread but what kind of mileage you getting with those 3.73s and your 35s? Curious as i have 3.73s also and am debating 33s 35s or maybe a compromise between at 34? And is yours stick or auto?

No worries, man! haha!

I have the Flashpaq and I run the 91 tune as the gas saver doesn't get better mileage for some reason.

I get 19 hwy

16 city.

I'm fairly easy on it and don't stomp the pedal but I'm not in granny mode though.

Wardell

Honestly, if the snorkel was designed properly it shouldn't impede performance. If anything, it could actually improve it a bit because it will be drawing in cooler, cleaner and denser air from a higher point than the stock intake, but I don't think that difference would be enough to notice without measuring it on a dynamometer.

Wethy

No worries, man! haha!

I have the Flashpaq and I run the 91 tune as the gas saver doesn't get better mileage for some reason.

I get 19 hwy

16 city.

I'm fairly easy on it and don't stomp the pedal but I'm not in granny mode though.

You in an auto or stick ams that doesn't seem to horrible

Aldonoward3

This is insane. I called bs the moment I saw it but after my math and a tank and a half im getting 17.4 mpg in city mileage. Granted, I live in Mobile AL on the gulf coast and its relatively flat here. The snorkel is connected with two 90 bends and the corrugated rubber hose that came with the snorkel kit. I'm happy beyond expression. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421626058.509497.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421626077.253055.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421626098.899387.jpg

Top Bottom