Ring and pinion breaks

This maybe a dumb question but the thought went through my head. If I were to break my ring or pinion while on the trails. Could I just pop in into 2wd drive and just drive home?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. Your axles will still want to turn it and it will start to bind. You will need to pull the gear. Problem is, your ring gear pumps oil to your axle bearings and it is important that you add enough oil back into your axle to help keep them lubricated especially in the rear. If you don't, you will fry your them too.

TheStick

Nope. Your axles will still want to turn it and it will start to bind. You will need to pull the gear. Problem is, your ring gear pumps oil to your axle bearings and it is important that you add enough oil back into your axle to help keep them lubricated especially in the rear. If you don't, you will fry your them too.

Just want to make sure I understand. Pull the gears, leave the drive shaft connected or no? Then fill with oil and go?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just want to make sure I understand. Pull the gears, leave the drive shaft connected or no? Then fill with oil and go?

yup! the driveshaft spinning the pinion isnt going to hurt anything. the extra gear oil in the housing will keep the pinion and the axle shafts lubricated

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
This maybe a dumb question but the thought went through my head. If I were to break my ring or pinion while on the trails. Could I just pop in into 2wd drive and just drive home?

Thanks for asking this question. Good info in this thread. :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There is actually a video if that such thing happening to moby

:cheesy: Oh yeah, been there done that... more than once actually and on other Jeeps that have gone wheeling with us. :crazyeyes:

Yup, you just need to pull the ring gear, reinstall the carrier or locker, overfill the diff and go.

Top Bottom