JK is leaning on the passenger side about 1/4 inch

Regnar

So my JK is leaning on the passenger side about 1/4 of an inch. Its a 4.5 inch AEV dual sport suspension with blistein reservoir shocks. I checked the tire pressure and the rear driver side tire and it's actually a pound under then on the passenger side and the front driver is same pressure as the passenger side. So that's been eliminated. When I'm driving it and make a left hand turn it leans more like the control arms are disconnected. When I turn right it's like the control arms are doing their job. Put it up on the lift today and double checked the torque on the suspension and the control arms. Control arms look good. Not bent or loose. Suspension only has about 1000 miles on it. Springs and shocks should be fine. Haven't done any serious off roading with it. Heard there's a thing called the JK lean. Some say cause the fuel tank and battery are on the passenger side lifted jeeps tend to lean that way. That doesn't make sense to me though. 22 gallons of gas only weigh 88 pounds and the battery maybe 10 pounds. So your looking at less then a 100 pounds so if it were leaning that way before you get in it, one would think it should level out when you sit in it or lean more to the driver side. Anyway what do you guys think or know about this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Leans passenger even when I'm sitting it.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a 1/4". Sit in it and call it a day.

:cheesy: I honestly laugh cause that's about what I was about to say. More rather, I was going to say, "I bet it looks pretty level with you sitting inside your Jeep." :D

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
So my JK is leaning on the passenger side about 1/4 of an inch. Its a 4.5 inch AEV dual sport suspension with blistein reservoir shocks. I checked the tire pressure and the rear driver side tire and it's actually a pound under then on the passenger side and the front driver is same pressure as the passenger side. So that's been eliminated. When I'm driving it and make a left hand turn it leans more like the control arms are disconnected. When I turn right it's like the control arms are doing their job. Put it up on the lift today and double checked the torque on the suspension and the control arms. Control arms look good. Not bent or loose. Suspension only has about 1000 miles on it. Springs and shocks should be fine. Haven't done any serious off roading with it. Heard there's a thing called the JK lean. Some say cause the fuel tank and battery are on the passenger side lifted jeeps tend to lean that way. That doesn't make sense to me though. 22 gallons of gas only weigh 88 pounds and the battery maybe 10 pounds. So your looking at less then a 100 pounds so if it were leaning that way before you get in it, one would think it should level out when you sit in it or lean more to the driver side. Anyway what do you guys think or know about this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

22 gallons is more like 140lbs

Tigrcky

water weight is 8.3 lbs gasoline is 6.3 which is 138 lbs for 22 gallons of gasoline. either way 1/4 inch offset is hardly noticeable but if it really bothers you that much just put some tools and other dead weight on the driver side till you level it out

Tigrcky

all very funny but it leans passenger even when I'm sitting in it.

are you sure your not sitting on the side of pikes peak when taking this measurement? maybe take the front coils and swap them and see what effects that has :thinking:

Regnar

Actually

water weight is 8.3 lbs gasoline is 6.3 which is 138 lbs for 22 gallons of gasoline. either way 1/4 inch offset is hardly noticeable but if it really bothers you that much just put some tools and other dead weight on the driver side till you level it out

It's quite noticeable. The frame is 1/4 inch lower. The body near the top looks like the leaning tower of pisa. If fuel is heavier the water, ok fair enough, but its still well under my weight. Shouldn't be leaning passenger when I sit in it.

jeeeep

Hooked

Leans passenger even when I'm sitting it.

Did you check the bolts on the shocks, sway bar links and brackets and double checked your track bar? when you are sitting at idle and turn the wheel side to side lock does the front end seem to go up and down?

lean is inherent in all Jeeps but what I take from your post is when you turn it doesn't feel as solid on one side as it does the other?

Regnar

are you sure your not sitting on the side of pikes peak when taking this measurement? maybe take the front coils and swap them and see what effects that has :thinking:

We took the measurement in a bay this morning from the level bay floor to the frame.

Tigrcky

It's quite noticeable. The frame is 1/4 inch lower. The body near the top looks like the leaning tower of pisa. If fuel is heavier the water, ok fair enough, but its still well under my weight. Shouldn't be leaning passenger when I sit in it.

thats more then a 1/4 inch if its that noticeable, and if you are going to quote me then read what i said... i said water is 2 lbs HEAVIER then gasoline :doh: good way to piss me off

Regnar

Exactly right

Did you check the bolts on the shocks, sway bar links and brackets and double checked your track bar? when you are sitting at idle and turn the wheel side to side lock does the front end seem to go up and down?

lean is inherent in all Jeeps but what I take from your post is when you turn it doesn't feel as solid on one side as it does the other?

When I turn right its stiff like the control are connected. When I turn left it leans even more like my control arms aren't connected. I plan on switching the coils around tomorrow. See if maybe that will help. What I can see from most people posting this this thread they assume quarter inch isn't a lot BUT that measuring it from the frame. When you look at the jeep from behind it looks a lot worse then it sounds. It's noticeable leaning passenger and it's not handling well at high speeds. This isn't an asthetic issue. There's an actually mechanical problem here.

Top Bottom