Need honest help and direction with final decision on lift

thechrisjones

Ok guys i'm ready to pull the trigger on the lift and i'm truly stuck between two lifts. I've been told this forum is a little bias towards EVO. I'm either going to go with the EVO 3" enforcer kit with the king 2.0 shocks or the AEV DualSport RS Suspension 3.5". I own a 2015 JKU Hard Rock with a manual transmission. It's my DD of which I drive 30 miles a day. I have already added Poison Spyder Front Mid Brawler bumper with skid plate, rear PSC brawler II rear bumper and tire carrier, and PSC front and rear defender fenders. I've made my mind that I'm going to run 37's... At the most I will probably take my jeep to a off road park once or twice a year and will do level 1 and 2 type trails. Road ride quality is my #1 priority. Secondly, I want to build this rig the right way the first time so I need recommendations on other upgrades I need to do to prevent fast wear and tear like ball joints, c gussets for axel support, the right drag link flip, if I truly need front drive shaft etc.... for a "road queen" When giving recommendations please elaborate on why particular upgrades are important. Please keep in mind this is a DD not a rock crawler however I do want to be able to do some trials rarely.

jboo53

I have the AEV 3.5 sc lift, which just has different shocks than the rs, and as I'm sure most people will agree, it has a pretty stiff ride. I do not, however, have any experience with the enforcer so I can't say anything about that.

Trail JK

I'm bias... for a few reasons. First, I appreciate their support if our community. Secondly, they make great quality products proven to take you anywhere you'd want to go. 😉

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Ok guys i'm ready to pull the trigger on the lift and i'm truly stuck between two lifts. I've been told this forum is a little bias towards EVO. I'm either going to go with the EVO 3" enforcer kit with the king 2.0 shocks or the AEV DualSport RS Suspension 3.5". I own a 2015 JKU Hard Rock with a manual transmission. It's my DD of which I drive 30 miles a day. I have already added Poison Spyder Front Mid Brawler bumper with skid plate, rear PSC brawler II rear bumper and tire carrier, and PSC front and rear defender fenders. I've made my mind that I'm going to run 37's... At the most I will probably take my jeep to a off road park once or twice a year and will do level 1 and 2 type trails. Road ride quality is my #1 priority. Secondly, I want to build this rig the right way the first time so I need recommendations on other upgrades I need to do to prevent fast wear and tear like ball joints, c gussets for axel support, the right drag link flip, if I truly need front drive shaft etc.... for a "road queen" When giving recommendations please elaborate on why particular upgrades are important. Please keep in mind this is a DD not a rock crawler however I do want to be able to do some trials rarely.

If ride quality is your #1 priority it's easy.
AEV lift. I've ran my DD rig 40,000 miles with one on 37s.
I've also ran the Rubicon and Pritchett canyon with the lift. ProRock 44 front and ProRock 60 rear with 4.88s.

I think the PR axles (at least the front housing) are necessary because driving stresses the axles and you want to be driving the rig and not have it in the shop all the time with repairs. You can spend time reinforcing the stock stuff, but in the end it won't be as good as going with the drive home option of the ProRocks. Plus the robust axles help the rig handle better on the road.
I know this because I ran the stock axles for a few weeks before swapping them for the ProRocks.

New driveshafts actually help on the road because they eliminate vibrations and you won't have to worry about the stock shaft boot breaking.

In the end you'll have a great DD that can do the toughest trails.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If ride quality is your #1 priority it's easy.
AEV lift. I've ran my DD rig 40,000 miles with one on 37s.
I've also ran the Rubicon and Pritchett canyon with the lift. ProRock 44 front and ProRock 60 rear with 4.88s.

I think the PR axles (at least the front housing) are necessary because driving stresses the axles and you want to be driving the rig and not have it in the shop all the time with repairs. You can spend time reinforcing the stock stuff, but in the end it won't be as good as going with the drive home option of the ProRocks. Plus the robust axles help the rig handle better on the road.
I know this because I ran the stock axles for a few weeks before swapping them for the ProRocks.

New driveshafts actually help on the road because they eliminate vibrations and you won't have to worry about the stock shaft boot breaking.

In the end you'll have a great DD that can do the toughest trails.

I think evo plush ride provide a better dd than aev. Just my opinion.

jeeeep

Hooked

I've helped install the AEV dualsport, what I didn't like about it for the price are the use of drop brackets instead of longer brake lines or adjustable control arms. The ride was fine for a daily driver (similar to my Clayton lift) however res shocks are nice but offer no additional on street benefit. What I didn't like about the drop brackets for the brake lines is they cause the hard tubing to be pulled down and IMO makes them more open to damage. Progressive springs tend to flatten once you add aftermarket bumper and winch then you're left with the stiff portion of the spring. you don't need an aftermarket steering stabilizer, stock SS is all you should need. BTW the guy I helped install this has enough weight on to flatten the progressive portion of the spring after about 8 months.

As for the EVO, I recently installed their 4" coils replacing my Clayton 3.5" coils, the Clayton ride was a bit on the firm side (unless I had plenty of weight) but once I added the 2.5 kings it got worse. now it's a nice balance and I think the Kings will do great going fast offroad (which is why I got them). the coils did compress a little when I put weight on them simulating adding a winch but not enough to be noticeable. I changed to the Enforcer plush springs after driving a few rigs that had the enforcer kit on them.

For the money, I think the EVO is a better deal, you get extended brake lines, front adjustable lower control arms to correct caster (better than drop brackets) skip the King shocks and get the flip kit then get some Rancho shocks and you'll save a few bucks for other mods. The AEV adds extras that are ok, but IMO just fluff to bump the price, steering stabilizer, procal, jack base.

Good luck with what ever you decide :beer:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Drop brackets are dumb, plain and simple. Sure, AEV is great at marketing their lifts as the next best thing since slice bread but, I will never understand why someone would lift their jeep and put brackets on that significantly reduce their ground clearance in a pretty important spot. And if you have ever seen pictures of the AEV brackets flexing sideways, it ain't pretty.

Yes, you will need a new front driveshaft with a lift at that height.

Buy what you need, not what you don't. Learn what each piece of a lift does for your suspension and go from there.

jknikos

My trail buddy runs the AEV 3.5 RS suspension. I really like how the 5160s looklike but they are a little stiffer on-road than the normal 5100s. Off road they are better. Generally AEV is a well promoted overpriced lift and it is designed for people who add a lot of weight on their jeeps. Its more for overlanders IMO.

thechrisjones

This is a good info please keep the information coming.

So what is considered a lot of weight. As stated before the only weight I have is PSC mid brawler front bumper and winch. And PSC brawler II with tire carrier and I will have a full 37" spare. Is this considered weighted down??

It seems the EVO plush coils is way to go?

thechrisjones

I've helped install the AEV dualsport, what I didn't like about it for the price are the use of drop brackets instead of longer brake lines or adjustable control arms. The ride was fine for a daily driver (similar to my Clayton lift) however res shocks are nice but offer no additional on street benefit. What I didn't like about the drop brackets for the brake lines is they cause the hard tubing to be pulled down and IMO makes them more open to damage. Progressive springs tend to flatten once you add aftermarket bumper and winch then you're left with the stiff portion of the spring. you don't need an aftermarket steering stabilizer, stock SS is all you should need. BTW the guy I helped install this has enough weight on to flatten the progressive portion of the spring after about 8 months.

As for the EVO, I recently installed their 4" coils replacing my Clayton 3.5" coils, the Clayton ride was a bit on the firm side (unless I had plenty of weight) but once I added the 2.5 kings it got worse. now it's a nice balance and I think the Kings will do great going fast offroad (which is why I got them). the coils did compress a little when I put weight on them simulating adding a winch but not enough to be noticeable. I changed to the Enforcer plush springs after driving a few rigs that had the enforcer kit on them.

For the money, I think the EVO is a better deal, you get extended brake lines, front adjustable lower control arms to correct caster (better than drop brackets) skip the King shocks and get the flip kit then get some Rancho shocks and you'll save a few bucks for other mods. The AEV adds extras that are ok, but IMO just fluff to bump the price, steering stabilizer, procal, jack base.

Good luck with what ever you decide :beer:

I intended on getting the flip kit for sure. So you the Rancho shock is just as good as the king 2.0?

Hot94Z28

I like my Rock Krawler lift for the price I thought it was good with the extended brake lines and LCA's. Only thing I don't like is the Bilstein shocks I am going to switch out and try Rancho shocks next. I do have the older progressive front liner rear springs so I don't know how the new springs ride.

couple comments:

The Bilstein 5100 and 5160s are essentially the same shock. The only difference is the gas chamber is moved to the reservoir and there is more oil volume. The valving is the same. All 51xx Bilsteins are what I would call a firm shock.

The Rancho RS9000XLs are very nice and are adjustable. FWIW: setting to "3" is like an OME Nitrocharger (soft), and setting to "9" is like a Bilstein.

The EVO coils are very nice. They have a long free length and soft ride. Personally, I prefer a "soft" coil to be paired with a firm shock. The AEV coils IMO are a middle to firm coil and have a shorter free length. Pairing them with a firm shock would seem harsh. I don't like the AEV brackets.

I can't speak to the King shocks as I have no personal experience.

jknikos

As everyone stated before me the drop brackets are a pain in the a** off road. They make your front LCAs very exposed to damage.:naw:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Everybody has their opinion.
I still think aev is better for a DD especially for what this guy wants to do. 1 and 2 trails are easy and he doesn't need a lot.

I've driven mine at 80-85 mph for 10 hours from Truckee, CA to Salt Lake City, Utah. Was totally stable. I also drive mountain roads and the aev performs on the road.

I have a hard time believing evo can deliver on road performance and offroad performance. The soft springs are nice if you are a Baja style driver.

The aev drop brackets are annoying at times, but that's what delivers the handling manners. No death wobble ever. I have rubbed them a few times but they are sturdy. Only once on the rubicon did I rub them while I took a wrong line up Cadillac hill.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Stated differently, you have no idea how the EVO system performs, let alone how it compares. :crazyeyes:

:cheesy: That's about what I was thinking :crazyeyes:

Everybody has their opinion.

This is true but some of us have opinions based on first hand experience testing out a myriad of lifts and coils.

I still think aev is better for a DD especially for what this guy wants to do. 1 and 2 trails are easy and he doesn't need a lot.

I've driven mine at 80-85 mph for 10 hours from Truckee, CA to Salt Lake City, Utah. Was totally stable. I also drive mountain roads and the aev performs on the road.

I have a hard time believing evo can deliver on road performance and offroad performance. The soft springs are nice if you are a Baja style driver.

Being that you have ZERO experience on how the Plush Ride coils perform, you can only ASSUME what you have is better. But, if it helps you to sleep better at night, you're more than welcome to believe whatever it is you want to believe. In all fairness, ride quality is 100% subjective anyway :yup:

The aev drop brackets are annoying at times, but that's what delivers the handling manners.

I'm sure that's what you were sold but to be fair, a set of adjustable control arms would do that as well and without robbing you of ground clearance. Drop brackets are just a cheap way of getting you the same results.

No death wobble ever.

Ummm, death wobble will not be caused or prevented by drop brackets. Talk to me again once your track bar bushings, ball joints or unit bearings are bad.

I have rubbed them a few times but they are sturdy. Only once on the rubicon did I rub them while I took a wrong line up Cadillac hill.

No offense but, you'll forgive me if I'm not impressed.

Nobody ever said you couldn't wheel with drop brackets and really, I wouldn't even say that the AEV kit is bad. What I don't like about it is that it is way over priced for what little you really get. The drop brackets rob you of the very lift that you just paid through the nose to get. The brackets are flimsy and bend. And, last but not least, the coils are way too firm for my taste and they are firm because they are designed to hold up a lot of weight. It is what AEV touts as being a benefit and short of running coil overs, you just can't have a coil that holds up a lot of weight be comfortable. But hey, what do I know.

And, before the fanboys start to rain down on me, I LOVE AEV products - just not their lift kits which are technically the now defunct Nth Degree Mobility kit. As far as EVO Plush Ride coils go, I would be the first to say that they are way too soft IF you tend to carry a shit ton of gear with you. They WILL sag under those conditions.

The AEV CA brackets correct caster and arm geometry. The caster can be corrected with adjustable LCAs and I haven't found the arm geometry to be an issue on JKs lifted 4" or less. Even if it was, I would prefer to correct it with longer arms over lowering the frame side mounting points.

Additionally, while caster can be a culprit to DW; I've found it usually stems from other issues, like a loose track-bar or improper toe setting. Regardless, a properly set up and tight front end shouldn't wobble no matter what brand parts are under it.

jeeeep

Hooked
i have the Clayton 3.5" lift with control arms and have driven it at 95mph no issues. I've driven a Jeep with the Enforcer lift 80mph no issues. .it's after driving the enforcer rig i decided to swap coils. i don't have enough weight on my rig to make the coils i have ride better.
the AEV brackets have nothing to do with stability; proper caster, retaining proper steering geometry and making sure the install is done correctly do.
as mentioned, I've helped install the AEV lift and drop brackets leave the control arms susceptible to getting hit more and is counterintuitive to the purpose of a lift. to make a comment like "they are annoying at times" says it all.

MarkW13

This is a good info please keep the information coming.

So what is considered a lot of weight. As stated before the only weight I have is PSC mid brawler front bumper and winch. And PSC brawler II with tire carrier and I will have a full 37" spare. Is this considered weighted down??

It seems the EVO plush coils is way to go?

I am also trying to narrow down lift selection for my 2013 JKUR. The research is almost nauseating at times. I have pretty much decided to build my own lift. Each lift has strengths and weaknesses. If I go with coil springs (strongly leaning coilover), it will be the EVO plush ride springs. There are not a lot of good reviews on dual rate springs except from the lift manufactures that sell those springs. I am planning to run plush rides and rs 9000 shocks, a full set of metal cloak adjustable control arms, an evo drag link flip, evo roll center correction bracket, and metal cloak adjustable bump stop spacers.

I know everyone is going to start attacking metal cloak control arms. I have spoken with a few members here that are using MC control arms and they are very happy. I know the joint is relatively untested, but I'm willing to take a chance because I like the features provided and really don't want to cut the factory control arms off to run a long arm. Based on my research long arm kits aren't really necessary on JK's to maintain on road handling.

If you must run a relocation bracket, rancho makes a much stronger bracket than the AEV. I recently installed an aev budget boost on my jeep to gain some clearance and was not impressed with the aev brackets used to relocate the front shocks. I had a two piece bracket system used to relocate the track bar on my YJ and I ended up welding it. I imagine having similar issues with the AEV bracket. If you want an easy quality lift without a lot of hassles, just buy the evo enforcer, add on the drag link flip and you'll be good to go. If you want more articulation out of your control arms, you'll have to look at adding a full set of control arms, long arm kit, etc. As we are all aware, there are so many choices, it really is up to your personal preference.

I have seen so many sets of used dual rate springs for sale that it is obvious they should be avoided. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom