Would you trust a shop refusing to install 5.13s with your rig?

AndyWentJKU

Good morning WAL fam! Here's the current predicament...a little backstory of what I'm working with, a 2014 JKU Sport stock axles, open diffs, 3.21s on a 3.5 inch kit and 35" Mud Grapplers.

I've refused to spend a dime on my front D30 because I knew I'd do a swap. After some very patient saving, I received my ProRock 44 with 5.13s, ARB locker and Prosteer ball joints ( took everyone's advice on here to do this purchase right ).

With the money shelled away for the upcoming purchase, the plan was to have a local shop install the PR44 and locker as well as regear the rear to 5.13s and install an ARB in the rear ( going to play on the rear 44 until it breaks then do a trail 60 ). Lastly, the jump to 37" Mud Grapplers would finish it off.

I was proud of myself thinking I was patient and planned the build out properly for my needs ( the end goal is to run 37s and I do pretty moderate level / frequent wheeling ) but nothing too extreme like those lucky enough to be able to play out west.

I walked myself into the shop, and I wasn't expecting any surprises because we've worked together ordering parts etc etc. Then I was told they are refusing to do a 5.13 gear job because I would blow a R&P before driving off the lot.

I know thread after thread has been posted about gears and R&P sizes in various housings and I THOUGHT I would be ok with this set up but am being told otherwise. They said they would be more than happy to do 4.56 or 4.88 but will NOT do 5.13s.

So the poll of the day, would you trust this shop after this Intel? Listening to him talk and looking at some of the other rigs in the shop, I'm getting the feeling the shop is just used to doing work for folks that only want the "look", as I was baffled that they refuse my gear job but they're cutting sheet metal off a JK in their bay to make room for 40s on a sport keeping stock axles...major red flag for me...

If they don't know what they're talking about with gears and my PR44 I'm certainly hesitant to let them to the lockers as well...thoughts?? Should I just go elsewhere? Too bad I'm so far away from EVO...hope everyone has a great weekend!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Good morning WAL fam! Here's the current predicament...a little backstory of what I'm working with, a 2014 JKU Sport stock axles, open diffs, 3.21s on a 3.5 inch kit and 35" Mud Grapplers.

I've refused to spend a dime on my front D30 because I knew I'd do a swap. After some very patient saving, I received my ProRock 44 with 5.13s, ARB locker and Prosteer ball joints ( took everyone's advice on here to do this purchase right ).

With the money shelled away for the upcoming purchase, the plan was to have a local shop install the PR44 and locker as well as regear the rear to 5.13s and install an ARB in the rear ( going to play on the rear 44 until it breaks then do a trail 60 ). Lastly, the jump to 37" Mud Grapplers would finish it off.

I was proud of myself thinking I was patient and planned the build out properly for my needs ( the end goal is to run 37s and I do pretty moderate level / frequent wheeling ) but nothing too extreme like those lucky enough to be able to play out west.

I walked myself into the shop, and I wasn't expecting any surprises because we've worked together ordering parts etc etc. Then I was told they are refusing to do a 5.13 gear job because I would blow a R&P before driving off the lot.

I know thread after thread has been posted about gears and R&P sizes in various housings and I THOUGHT I would be ok with this set up but am being told otherwise. They said they would be more than happy to do 4.56 or 4.88 but will NOT do 5.13s.

So the poll of the day, would you trust this shop after this Intel? Listening to him talk and looking at some of the other rigs in the shop, I'm getting the feeling the shop is just used to doing work for folks that only want the "look", as I was baffled that they refuse my gear job but they're cutting sheet metal off a JK in their bay to make room for 40s on a sport keeping stock axles...major red flag for me...

If they don't know what they're talking about with gears and my PR44 I'm certainly hesitant to let them to the lockers as well...thoughts?? Should I just go elsewhere? Too bad I'm so far away from EVO...hope everyone has a great weekend!

DEFF go somewhere else. they are blowing smoke up your ass. i have 5.13's and an arb installed in my rear 44 and it hasnt exploded no will it. the ring gear for 5.13's is not to small for a 44. if you had 5.38's then it would be an issue.

just go somewhere else and be happy you did. i wouldnt go back to that shop in the future.

jknikos

Find another shop. They are overreacting and dont trust themselves.:naw: A lot of guys with 5.13s on D44 out there.

pastorwug

Eddie had 5.38 gearing in his D44s on the Dusy and got what he expected - an implosion. I doubt if ORE said no to him before installing.

5.13 on the other hand is a fairly safe bet - I had mine installed at ORE and wasn't given any specific warnings about use.

If it's a liability issue, hey - it's for offroad use, everything we put on our Jeeps has some functional liability involved with it.

Go elsewhere!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
We don't need to drag them through the mud, but likewise we don't need to beat around the bush. Which shop?

jeeeep

Hooked
my wild guess is they installed 5.13's on someone's rig, that person with the newfound sense of power went out and imploded it, sued them and won an now no more 5.13 installs.

I had to tell the shop I went to several times 4.88's because they were so used to installing 5.13's, even the day of the install he called and asked if I was sure I didn't want 5.13's lol

Find another shop more confident in their work.

GRNHORN

Richmond VA...willing to travel to have this done RIGHT haha

I live in Woodbridge, VA and since I am not mechanically inclined I take my jeep to Alex. I am eventually going to get my re-gear done and he will probably be the one that does it.

I suggest calling him and work out the details. Below is his information.

Alex Automotives

Address: 14779 Build America Drive, Woodbridge, VA 22191

Phone-(703) 494-5131

Last edited by a moderator:

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Sounds like everyone has this subject pretty much covered but since were running such a similar set up i figured i would chime in-

2013 JKUR
PR44 W/Prosteers and 5:13's on order already with EVO just waiting for them to arrive and already running 37's and they recommend 5:13's. There's a reason why we all trust and repsect thier opinion so if Drew and Mel say it's good to go then you have confidence it's good to go.

Good Luck and sounds like you have a good build going!

Strainger

Caught the Bug
More input here.

ORE swapped out the OEM front of my 2008 JK Rubicon 6 speed when it was relatively new. They put in a ProRock 44 with 513"s and just changed the gears in the stock rear.

When I bought a new 2013, they swapped out both axels from my old Jeep to my new Jeep. That's a combined mileage of about 130,000-140,000 miles on 513's now with no problems. I recently upgraded the stock rear to a Trail60 because the rear was bent. But the 513's were still hanging in there.

I hope this helps a little in your decision making. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Top Bottom