End of year grad project

Mitrig

Hey guys so here we go...

First and foremost I would like to extend a thank you to Eddie, for a man I have never met seeing a post you had made on another forum (back in the Pre-Jeep days) really brought back my love for these vehicles and the industry which stands behind them. Because of that I have focused my end of year CAPSTONE Project on the resigning and testing of the rear solid axle suspensions (not specifically jeeps but rather further developing heavy duty solid axles in a modern way.)

For anyone who doesn't know me, my name is George and my Rig is Reptar! I am just completing my 5th year of Mechanical Engineering and unlike many students who chose a pre set project so they don't have to get their ideas shot down but faculty I like usual gave very few **cks and went up and pitched the design and idea. The loved it and now 2 weeks later got fully approved and being funded for the next 8 months to redevelop and innovate that suspension system. In engineering it's the small things that make the biggest difference (yes that is what she said but not in this case)

Our job is to take 2 rear suspensions and frames and weld them together at the midpoints set one to a common set up, and establish the other end with our redesigned set up. the changes might be electrical dampening, responsive coils and or many other things. I'm not going to go into too much detail in that regard just yet. But one thing I would really appreciate from this greta group of friends and fellow jeepers is your input.

I would really like to use this thread to get everyones opinion on solid axle rears, their thoughts, their concerns, what they would like to see changed, really anything! Any ideas to be honest, all points made will be documented in the minutes we have to disclose during meetings so everyone will get credit if anything is used or an idea is worked off. So lets Help ME, Help YOU!

Basic design is based around a similar system used by EVO in a sense, thought the basis is similar all steps are taken to ensure no Engineering malpractice occurs. So lets have at it boys (and girls).

I would appreciate any feedback, hell even some support lol. This project is the basis to whether I graduate this summer or not. The first portion of the design and a faculty wide presentation with industry representatives is the beginning of April and our final design and a working product is set to be completed by August since our industry presentation is then.

I have loved every minute within this community and have met some amazing individuals. So I would love to contribute something back to the industry that can possibly make an impact. Help me start this butterfly effect!

Also mind the grammar I'm a soon to be Engineer, I know numbers and designing not words. LOL

If you could do the suspension all over again, and you had your way; what would you have done differently? Anything you would change on the stock set up to better the current set ups you see on the rigs rolling off the line? Anything goes?!?! NO such thing as a wrong answer, even an opinion is appreciated...thoughts are free, let my university spend money to fund me to make those thoughts into something real!

Ill post pictures and updates for anyone interested to see how this goes over the next 8 months. With some luck and a little elbow grease (ok a lot of elbow grease), shop time and a lot of R&D later I will have my IRON RING!

Anyone need to hire an engineer? ;)

Last edited:

Mitrig

Thanks guys!!

So funding starts this week, hoping to get our hands on 2 donated frames and axles right off the line. (Y) Depends if Chrysler, ford, or gm take interest in certain aspects. Having a university situated by all 3 is amazing but really hoping Chrysler takes interest after designs are started and ideas for changes get documented.

Last edited:

Mitrig

Are you copying the EVOlever? Isn't the point to design your own thing?

No as stated it doesn't infringe on any engineering developments one company has made over another.

I was curious to see what everyone's opinion was on their suspensions, how responsive, how it reacts to a load, etc...things they would like to see, or improved.

Our system show cases what would be considered a stock set up and then a remodelled set up (one which we design) there are currently a few ideas being floated around and opinions being noted. The reason I posted was to get everyone's take on the topic of "their" suspension.

Engineering practice frowns upon "copying"

An example of one of the current ideas being tossed around is relocation of the coils and the installation of a dynamic pressure regulator which would be used for large "work trucks" carrying a heavy load. Point being to reduce axle strain, maintain handling etc...

I thought it would be cool to get some feedback from the community, that's really it.

Mitrig

The downside to this is that your university will own any ideas you come up with.

That is true to an extent, like I said any and all points made whether they are ours or not. Ie you make a random point and we use it. Everything gets documented. They would own out ideas yes but not yours legally speaking.

It's a chance to work and put the last 5 years into something that doesn't involve sitting in a lecture hall. That's how I see it.

Top Bottom