Are these fenders CA street legal?

I am looking to purchase these XRC Smittybilt fender flares and I was curious if they are street legal in California? Does anyone have any idea if they are?
Thanks!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422074091.314520.jpg

spinuck

Technically you should run mud flaps with those in CA if your tires stick out past the fenders. at least that's what the officer told me as I got a fix-it ticket.

MICP3309

Instead of buying a small plastic fender like that, why not just trim your own? There's a thread in the write up section on how.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Instead of buying a small plastic fender like that, why not just trim your own? There's a thread in the write up section on how.

Those are steel fenders.

The fenders themselves are legal. Your tire sticking out past the fenders isn't but you'll be fine until you get stopped.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug

Agreed... If ur going for a skinny look just trim fenders. Just as "legal" as the smittybilt with less the wallet damage.

Sean97

Technically you should run mud flaps with those in CA if your tires stick out past the fenders. at least that's what the officer told me as I got a fix-it ticket.

The law here is so vague, they can pretty much ticket anyone for a flap violation.

xx-LSD-xx

XRC Fender flares

I have them installed on my 2011 JK

Technically yes they are if a Cop wants to be a dick and write you up.

I've had them on 3+ years now and not one issue.

Pretty sure your supposed install mud flaps to be legal but IMO they can F.O.

Mud flaps would last 2 min crawling and you wont get cool mud pattern sprayed all over your rig.

I say buy them but its up to you.

Dean454

I've seen these in a jeep and I'm not sure what the purpose is they're so small they aren't much more than not having any. I agree with others that I would save the money and just trim the stock ones.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have them installed on my 2011 JK

Technically yes they are if a Cop wants to be a dick and write you up.

I've had them on 3+ years now and not one issue.

Pretty sure your supposed install mud flaps to be legal but IMO they can F.O.

Mud flaps would last 2 min crawling and you wont get cool mud pattern sprayed all over your rig.

I say buy them but its up to you.

Umm mud flaps are removable and you are only supposed to use them on the street.

dillard09

Here is my fenders and tires and i have yet been stopped or ticketed in Cali for them. I think if you don't give them a reason to stop you they are not going to stop you for just the fenders or tires sticking out past the fenders. You see it all the time.

Attachments

• 1422711610269.jpg
    1422711610269.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 180

xx-LSD-xx

Umm mud flaps are removable and you are only supposed to use them on the street.

Anything you install is removable and unless you have a quick release design. (I haven't seen)

Who wants to remove 8 or 10 screws/bolts and then reinstall them every time you hit the trail.

And yes I'm aware that you use them on the street (Point of this thread).

Where else would you use/need them to be legal? Umm.....?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Anything you install is removable and unless you have a quick release design. (I haven't seen)

Who wants to remove 8 or 10 screws/bolts and then reinstall them every time you hit the trail.

Try google and search for mud flaps. If you haven't seen quick disconnect mud flaps you've been living under a rock. Welcome to the 21st century.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

Pass the rock bro.....

spinuck

Here is my fenders and tires and i have yet been stopped or ticketed in Cali for them. I think if you don't give them a reason to stop you they are not going to stop you for just the fenders or tires sticking out past the fenders. You see it all the time.

I would say it depends on the mood of the officer or if he wants a reason to check out the occupants of the Jeep. You could be following every other law, but if he wants a reason to pull you over, that would give him one.

JDDK

Ditto on mood for CA . Two fix its on previous trucks without flaps or extended flares. They also give younger guys more hassle. I got busted when I was rolling with dried mud and it was obvious i could throw huge roosters

crowrb29

I'd honestly go with the trimmed stock fender approach. There are so many advantages. I've seen so many dudes rip fenders off out here.

Also if you hit anything with those steel fender flares all that metal will transfer into the body. I had a buddy back into my jeep and smash the fender flare to the point it was hanging off and nothing happened to the body of the jeep.

Top Bottom