Steering Stabalizer

hbkid22

What is the main difference between the ATS and regular stabilizer? And is an ATS needed? Mine is leaking and thought I would upgrade soon but curious which route....

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
No real need to upgrade your steering stabilizer. Find a stock take off and replace with that.

hbkid22

Interesting. Never thought upgrading was bad. The jeep came with a procomp aftermarket one and you say get a stock one over let's say a fox? I know I have other things I need to upgrade down the road (adjustable arms, drive shafts and drag link flip) but interesting to hear about the stabilizer. I will dig into it more. Works fine now, just don't like the leak stains on my street. :)

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
It boils down to you don't need anything fancy - stock one will do. You can stick with aftermarket, or really just about anything will work. All the SS does is just help relieve the flex of the tie rod so you don't get bump steer. You could technically run without it, but you'd just feel it a lot more and its really not the best. People who blow them out know..and sometimes it can contribute to death wobble if you don't have one or its blown out.

If yours is leaking, just get whatever is cheapest so you have something, stock or aftermarket...doesn't really make a difference. Also, while we're on the subject, having a double SS also makes zero difference.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It boils down to you don't need anything fancy - stock one will do. You can stick with aftermarket, or really just about anything will work. All the SS does is just help relieve the flex of the tie rod so you don't get bump steer. You could technically run without it, but you'd just feel it a lot more and its really not the best. People who blow them out know..and sometimes it can contribute to death wobble if you don't have one or its blown out.

If yours is leaking, just get whatever is cheapest so you have something, stock or aftermarket...doesn't really make a difference. Also, while we're on the subject, having a double SS also makes zero difference.

Steering stabilizer will never contribute to death wobble. Blown or not.

hbkid22

Consensus sounds like its not as critical as I thought. Thanks for the input and I will look into a cheap one to swap out the leaking one.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Consensus sounds like its not as critical as I thought. Thanks for the input and I will look into a cheap one to swap out the leaking one.

if your going to replace it i would suggest just looking into a stock one again. you can find them for VERY cheap on craigslist. people basically give them away.

I don't really see a problem with upgrading, but I do agree it is unnecessary.

If you do “upgrade” make sure you get an actual steering stabilizer and not a rebranded shock. Bilstein for example, has more pressure on one side than the other due to the gas pre-charge. This causes a pull.

I have run both our Jeeps with no stabilizer at all while working out the kinks after mods. They did wonder a bit more over bumps and dips in the road, but I didn’t want anything to me masked as mentioned earlier.

The big point to the ATS is the through rod allows for even forces on both sides. A one sided rod will have more surface area one direction than the other due to the rod volume.

Top Bottom