CB Question

hlax2525

With Winter Storm Juno on its way to the Northeast, I figured that since I will probably be in the house until Wednesday, I thought it would be a good time to install my CB. One question I have, is that with the cobra 75, since the small control box has a supplied ground wire, do I need an additional ground wire to the tailgate mount as well? It is not powder coated and is the cooltech llc Gate Mount.
Any other additional tips would be greatly appreciated, as this is one of the first larger mods to my jeep.
Any pics of anybody with the same cb mount would be great, or pictures of how your cobra 75 is all run and mounted up
Thanks

jeff_in_rc

Here is what I would do, check the ground at the location you want to mount the antenna, if it is a solid ground no problem but if you suspect it is not as good as it can be then by all means install an additional ground wire. Sure can't hurt. Just my 0.02.

hlax2525

Here is what I would do, check the ground at the location you want to mount the antenna, if it is a solid ground no problem but if you suspect it is not as good as it can be then by all means install an additional ground wire. Sure can't hurt. Just my 0.02.

My main ground was going to be on one of the ground nuts by the passenger side firewall foam, is that alright as my main ground, as the coax will be coming from a metal mount and then hooking into the same box as the ground?

jeff_in_rc

My main ground was going to be on one of the ground nuts by the passenger side firewall foam, is that alright as my main ground, as the coax will be coming from a metal mount and then hooking into the same box as the ground?

That should work great!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
With Winter Storm Juno on its way to the Northeast, I figured that since I will probably be in the house until Wednesday, I thought it would be a good time to install my CB. One question I have, is that with the cobra 75, since the small control box has a supplied ground wire, do I need an additional ground wire to the tailgate mount as well? It is not powder coated and is the cooltech llc Gate Mount.
Any other additional tips would be greatly appreciated, as this is one of the first larger mods to my jeep.
Any pics of anybody with the same cb mount would be great, or pictures of how your cobra 75 is all run and mounted up
Thanks

You really just need to do it if you have issues. I would install it first, find someone to test it out with, and if you're getting bad reception or transmission, add a ground strap. Most of the time it's fine without, but it depends on a few variables.

CastleRockJeep

I had the same question with my cooltech gate mount they responded that you do not need a separate ground and stated I must have received old directions:

Hi John,

I apologize for the confusion - a ground wire is not necessary for the GateMount Kit. I am assuming your order was sent with an older set of instructions by mistake (we haven't used ground wires for a few years now). I have attached the most recent installation instructions.

Best,
Lauren

Top Bottom