Tie rod jam nut won't move. Drag link flip tighten steering

Dune Crawler

1st issue-Been dealing with a faint shimmy/wandering on the jeep I believe it's from the toe being out to far (notice in one of my pictures that the tires faced outward significantly)

the issue I'm having is the tie rod jam nut won't move for the life of me. I've put a plumbers wrench to it, a little heat to try to soften it, WD40. Is it safe to assume it's rusted to the point of no return and just need to get a new one? Or is it possibly that I need to pull it off the jeep to release some tension then try?

2nd issue-steering wheel is somewhat loose (not as tight as when I bought it) I put a 2.5in lift on it, but with back seats out, cutting of the frame,etc I'm netting 2.78 and probably more when I'm driving.

Would doing a drag link flip/track bracket tighten the steering up even tho I'm not in the 3" mark

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Having your toe out will NOT cause wandering. At most, having your toe at zero (wheels parallel) may cause a bit of wandering but, a lack of caster or loose steering component is most likely your culprit.

Regarding your jam nut, is it safe to assume you have an aftermarket tie-rod? Or, are you referring to the adjuster on the driver side of the tie rod?

As far as your loose steering goes, that is most likely a result of your Jeep having too much lift and no caster correction.

Dune Crawler

Having your toe out will NOT cause wandering. At most, having your toe at zero (wheels parallel) may cause a bit of wandering but, a lack of caster or loose steering component is most likely your culprit.

Regarding your jam nut, is it safe to assume you have an aftermarket tie-rod? Or, are you referring to the adjuster on the driver side of the tie rod?

As far as your loose steering goes, that is most likely a result of your Jeep having too much lift and no caster correction.

Stock tie rod.
I'll go under the jeep and look/tighten anything and check castor to see if I need to to length of shorten LCA. Thanks, Eddie for the knowledge so I don't throw money at something I might not need

Top Bottom