Jeep Club in New Brunswick Assisting Hospital Workers During Storm

Wardell

I'm not sure if anyone noticed this in the news, but the Canadian Maritime Provinces were hit with a huge winter storm yesterday. Many places got 30-40 cm of snow, and there were whiteout conditions for most of the day. The winds were very high too, with the highest recorded gust being up to 125 km/h. Of course, all schools and business were cancelled, as was any public transit, and everyone was told to be off the roads unless they need to be out there. Although it doesn't sound as bad today, the storm isn't quite done and it still sounds like a lot of places are still closed.

Of course, there are a handful of people who needed to be out yesterday to ensure the safety of others, namely police and emergency workers. A Jeep Club out in New Brunswick decided to do what the could to help, and shuttled doctors and nurses to and from the hospitals in the city of Moncton. They've been receiving a bit of attention in the news for their assistance, and I thought it would be good to share here (there is also a short video at the link):

MONCTON – Members of the New Brunswick Jeep Club volunteered their time during Tuesday’s storm for a good cause — helping local hospital employees get to and from work.

Group member Gordon Revelle said jeeps are equipped to handle the blowing snow and rough road conditions.

“We reach out to the hospitals and when there’s no public transportation the people still need to get to and from work,” he said. “So we have some great volunteers that step up and we have the means to get around.”

About a dozen members hit the streets to help, including Mike Noble.

“It’s nice to help out in some small way to get our doctors and nurses where they need to be,” he said. “It really feels good at the end of the day.”
One of Noble’s passengers was Myra Folkes, a registered nurse at the Moncton Hospital. She said she didn’t realize how bad the driving conditions would get until after she arrived at work.

“The service is wonderful,” she said. “Nice, friendly young men with powerful jeeps driving old ladies home. I think it’s a great service.”

Revelle said the service is about helping people in their own special way.

“We have great bunch of people and we just like to get out and give back,” he said.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1796378/jeep-club-volunteers-drive-moncton-hospital-workers-during-winter-storm/

I say good on them for helping. I know when I bought my Jeep, it wasn't only with off road fun in mind - a driving factor was because I was moving to the north and needed something that could easily handle the austere roads and adverse weather we can get. I'm glad to see that these guys went out of their way to help the hospital staff, who in turn could help many other people who weren't as lucky to be safe during the storm. I know I'd volunteer to do the same, provided my "day" job wouldn't be more important (I work in an ops centre, so in a crisis I could be needed there instead).

Anyone else have similar stories like this? It would be good to hear this sort of thing more often amongst other Jeepers. I know there are people who help when they can, but most of what I hear about are idiots with made up "charities" that turn out to be a scam to get free parts for their rigs...

Last edited:

Hack12

Very cool...and a great way to get out and do some wheeling during a statewide driving ban! :thumb::yup::thumb:

Bacon

Our neighboring club (Nova Scotia Jeep Club) does the same thing. In fact I believe they started before we did. They call it SWAT - severe weather assistance team. They've been doing it for a few years now.

groovebus

There was a group here in the US last year that was doing the same thing, when the weather got bad. I think they were in St. Louis area. Another group of Colorado Jeepers helps out a couple of towns that got cut off from the highways when the only road to town got washed away.

It helps people in need and it's a hell of alot of fun for us Jeep drivers. :)

Top Bottom