Painting and powder coating

I have had Evo rock sliders and the tire Carrier and corner guards on my jeep for awhile. But the powder coating in starting to chip off and rust. I was wandering what I should do. I was thinking about getting everything re powder coated. So that would mean I would have to cut the sliders off and Weld them back on? And would uninstalling the tire carrier and corners, mess up the strength of the corner guards? Or should I paint them? Thanks in and advance!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I would just paint them. Powder coating is a waste of money especially on sliders imo.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I have had Evo rock sliders and the tire Carrier and corner guards on my jeep for awhile. But the powder coating in starting to chip off and rust. I was wandering what I should do. I was thinking about getting everything re powder coated. So that would mean I would have to cut the sliders off and Weld them back on? And would uninstalling the tire carrier and corners, mess up the strength of the corner guards? Or should I paint them? Thanks in and advance!

You'll just have this happen over and over....especially with sliders as olram pointed out.

Grind or sand down the areas that are bad and rusting, get a good rattle can primer and paint and be done with it. Alternatively could use the rattle can bed liner to get that same textured look if you have it.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I just painted my bare EVO Sliders with AEV textured black paint. I first primed them with Rustoleum Self Etching primer then topcoated then with 3 coats of the AEV paint. They came out great and look identical to other textured powder coated items on the Jeep.

Good luck!

toxicwaste29

Just primer the items and spray it with a hammertone finish it looks just like powder coating if that's what you want. I just spray my stuff semi or flat black.

I agree with the others about the correction, PAINT!

However, you mentioned the areas have started to rust. So, first make sure all the areas are free from loose powder coating. A wire brush or sand paper should do the trick. Then, use a rust reformer/converter. Once that has dried use a high zinc content primer (one specialized for rusty metal). Then, paint with whatever color texture you want.

Looks like you are in TX so the temps shouldn't be a problem, but it needs to be warmer than 60.

While self-etching primer is good for an initial install it will not adhere to rusty metal well.

JAGS

Hooked
I got my sliders powder coated to start with. The PC makes for a stronger base IMO. It holds up well as i have the step angle EVO sliders and my kids and I use it to get in. I've had to touch up a few spots and I like to use rustoleum pro-enamel semi gloss rattle can. It blends in nicely to the PC and has a solid finish. I'm not a fan of the texture spray paints as my experience is it's harder to get a perfect even layer at the various angles, etc. Also, the texture tends to attract and hold dirt a little more.

BlackHawk08jk

I would just paint them. Powder coating is a waste of money especially on sliders imo.

I agree it's nose when it comes from the factory powder coated. But to pay to repowder coat them is a waist. Rustolium rattle can would be just as well off as repowder coating.

Top Bottom