Strange vibration coming from somewhere???

OrangeCrush

I have a completely stock 2013 Rubicon 2 door, automatic, 4:10 gears. I have been experiencing a strange oscillating vibration that started around 1300 miles. You can feel it in the steering wheel, gas pedal, and floor boards mostly on the driver's side. This vibration is also harmonic. It is fairly loud and sounds like a low bass note from the subwoofer. This happens when your are going approx 45mph - 52mph and the rpm's are approx 1800-2000. It happens when you apply light gas pressure to keep your speed constant. If you hit the gas to say pass someone and the tranny kicks down it will go away. I have also tried shifting the automatic manually to see if it had to do with a certain gear, but it will happen in 4th and 5th in manual mode. I have approx 2300 miles on the odometer now and hasn't gone away. I have checked everything that I could possibly think of and have not found anything as of yet.
I have done the following to check and see what this is:
1) Removed tires/wheels and replaced with another set of rubicon rims/tires. Didn't make a difference.
2) Used a dial to check run out of the drive shafts and flanges. All were within spec. All weights are present.
3) Looked for a heat shield hitting the exhaust or possible exhaust hitting something causing a vibration.
The only thing I could possibly come up with is that it might be the stock resonator making this oscillating drone sound. If you tap it with your hand it sounds like the low bass note that you hear inside the JK. Would like some other opinions and possibly some other thoughts on what to look for. Unfortunately I do not have a good dealership to bring the JK to for a diagnoses. Right now I can stand to drive it do to this noise and it's parked in my garage, while I drive my other rig.....any help would be appreciated!:D

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
The reason I say this is, if its something expensive and the dealer thinks you messed around with it, they might make you pay. I can't think of anything that would cause the sound or noise. Other than tires, driveshafts.

Top Bottom