help with planning 2nd stage?

pbujk13

I have ben a watcher on the forum for a while, but I am a newbie at JKs, offroading, etc.

Looking at all that I need to update/upgrade, I am now looking at options, and got overwhelmed. I am looking for some help to figure out next steps and some recommendations.
My primary points to address are parts that are failing (necessary) and possibly improving on-road driving (allowable justification to SO)
My ball joints are going to need replacing soon, draglink too, and at least one bushings on the rear arms and track bar are starting to go on the right side (Not sure which parts are at what stage yet, this was a cursory check on the axle)
The cheapest option is just replace OEM with OEM but based on fit, and measure, based on the wear rate on the OEMs, but I'd rather go for better now than be doing this again next year and besides where is the fun in that?

Summary: for a 80-90% dd and easy moderate trails:
  • need ball joints (Dynatrac prosteer?) on D30. What else should I do when replacing the ball joints?
  • drag link needs replacing: do I flip and if so how?
  • benefit of going to long arms?

Background:
I am in NC, and other than a Uwharrie trip planned, my jeep is a Daily Driver with 90% city/highway currently, and mostly farm and trail usage otherwise (no dune/desert runs and only some mildish trail rock crawling)
I am sure at some point I'll ease off of my crazy work schedule and have time to do some proper off road activities.
For comparison my previous rock crawling experience is with an armored and slightly lifted WK on a medium run it wasn't qualified for (go skids and rails, wish i had had one on the muffler) and the easy stuff.
For the most part, I have a 4wheelparts shop do any suspension, welding, etc. (I have never welded on a vehicle and experimenting on my DD seems like a poor place to start)
I'd probably go to East Coast Gear Supply if I need axle work as I am lucky enough to be close to them. I don't know anyone else in the area that will do JK work right now so I am limited to suppliers to 4wheelparts and ECGS or stuff I can do myself. I am not confident only my ability to parking lot install anything complicated; I have only done basic bolt-on/modification, electrical, and other light work myself.

Current setup
  • 2013 JKU Auto Sport (D30) - OEM 3.73 gears
  • 2.5" Teraflex springs kit , Teraflex front LCAs, Teraflex front trackbar, rear 1/2 Teraflex spacer on the springs, TF tuned Fox shocks w/Resi (Unnecessary for usage I know)
  • OEM bolts replacement kit, extended steel brake lines
  • 315/70R17 Duratracs on 17x8.5s with 4 1/2" spacing
  • D30 with EVO gussets

I need to keep the JK roofline under 6' 7" from the ground to clear some things I drive under/into on a regular basis. I did not really have plans to go big, beyond maybe 37s with fender flares when the tires go in a year.

Balljoints: I am likely looking at the Dynatrac prosteer ball joints for 13-up that should be available soon no matter what, unless there are options there I missed. The new TFs won't fit.
Looking at the balljoints install procedure and planning ahead, I am considering a brake upgrade at the same time, possibly to the new Dynatrac progrip kit. (or TF Big Brake? or another kit? rotors, pads, calipers..)
Should I also look into new axle shafts, or installing an axle sleeve (on a D30 remember), or Reid knuckles (for the draglink flip)?

Drag link flip: my understanding is that for the drag link, I should look into doing a flip kit, but it requires a minimum 3" lift.
I have 2.5" of lift ( the Teraflex springs in the front have a fullwidth bumper and a winch on them not heavy but not light either..... the rear sits a little lighter with an AL bumper and the 1/2 rear spacer.) so I'd need to add some lift up front with springs or a spacer, which also likely means time for that front drive shaft change.
Parts and brand recommendations: drag link, front track bar relocation bracket, sector shaft brace, steering stabilizer, stabilizer relocation bracket, tie rod, reid knuckles?
Should I bother with the drag link flip in this case?

Upgrading Axle
Adding to my pain I realize that at some point I will need a new front axle. My understanding is that building up a D30 is not a great idea and a waste of money but I also see this comment from people with rigs built out way beyond my capability or needs.
I don't have the funds to spend on an aftermarket D44 front right now (going to D60s is just straight out unlikely) based on the price estimate ($7k with re-gear, lockers, etc. and all the other non-transferables) as my axle, knuckles, shaft, and gears seem fine ,right now, and I have to do suspension upgrades to keep my DD on the road, and I am babying the Jeep. I might have this capability at the end of the year or next year.
It seems that a fully built D44 doesn't have that much in common with a D30 other than brakes, knuckles and balljoints. I am trying to consider what parts from a D30 I can carry over, and if it is worth it. It seems to depend on if I go Currie, Teraflex, G2, or Dynatrac and the locker to figure what axle shafts specs are needed.
If I break a D30, it seems I can get a new housing for ~500....

Lift arms
For the bars and arms:
1) OEM replace everything. Save on money, same labor costs where applicable. No drag link flip.
2) finish out the short arm kit with the 6 other arms and rear trackbar and mount. Possibly add spacers to front springs or swap out springs.
3) go with a different complete 3-3.5 short arm complete kit (dependent on drag link flip.)
4) go to a 3+ long arm kit, if I can figure out the benefits/detriments other than cost.
5) I can't think of a way to justify coilovers on this setup.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture of the jeep as-is. The side view is a little old. (before the bumpers and hood).
IMG_20140521_144121.jpg dayafterlift.jpg IMG_20140525_113109.jpg

Top Bottom