Parking brake issues

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Anyone have issues with their e-brake not holding intermittently? Sometimes I have to yank the handle all the way up in order for it to hold. Sometimes I only pull it halfway up and the handle gets tight and the Jeep doesn't roll. Every once in a while after I set the parking brake and release the brake pedal, I hear a loud "pop" from the rear. I know the sheathing on the cables is cut through slightly under the floorboard where they went through the bracket before the rear axle. I removed the bracket a while back, but I've had the problem before I installed the lift and removed the bracket. The issue has progressively gotten worse and my Jeep being a manual, I use the parking brake all the time. I plan on pulling the rear rotors off when I get the time to inspect the parking brake shoes and hardware. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue before.

Armydog

My step-son's 10 JKUR has the same issue. Seems common but he hasn't figured out how to fix it yet.

toxicwaste29

I had the issue where I could pull the handle all the way and the brake still wouldn't engage. The last straw before I decided to remove the rotor and adjust them was when I leaned on the jeep with a trailer loaded with two four wheelers and it started rolling down my drive. It since has been nice and tight however sometimes it only pulls up halfway and other times three quarters of the way; all the times however the brake holds

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I had the issue where I could pull the handle all the way and the brake still wouldn't engage. The last straw before I decided to remove the rotor and adjust them was when I leaned on the jeep with a trailer loaded with two four wheelers and it started rolling down my drive. It since has been nice and tight however sometimes it only pulls up halfway and other times three quarters of the way; all the times however the brake holds

Did you have any of the popping noise I'm talking about? All the hardware was intact when you pulled the rotors? The noise and intermittent handle travel is what was making me think there is more going on than them being out of adjustment, but maybe that's all that's wrong.

toxicwaste29

Did you have any of the popping noise I'm talking about? All the hardware was intact when you pulled the rotors? The noise and intermittent handle travel is what was making me think there is more going on than them being out of adjustment, but maybe that's all that's wrong.

The only pop I ever had was when I would set the handle and it would pop itself down a notch or two because it didnt lock properly. My hardware was intact however it seemed rather rusty for only 40k miles but that could be from my mud and water adventures. Maybe in your case the pop is the sound of the brake being set however quickly releasing/popping itself back on its own doing.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
The only pop I ever had was when I would set the handle and it would pop itself down a notch or two because it didnt lock properly. My hardware was intact however it seemed rather rusty for only 40k miles but that could be from my mud and water adventures. Maybe in your case the pop is the sound of the brake being set however quickly releasing/popping itself back on its own doing.

Yeah, maybe that's the case. Definitely gonna check the adjustment when I get a chance. Thanks for the input! :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
I have that issue with my 2010, the e-brake has never worked properly. Sometimes it grabs halfway others I can pull it all the way up and nothing.

I've adjusted it out and checked the cable but can't figure out why it's intermittent.

This post reminds me I need to take it in to my favorite mechanic and have them look at it before the next trip

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I had the same issue with my parking brake not working. I adjusted it several times over the past 5 years and it still wouldn't hold.

So when I installed the Dynatrac ProGrip brake kit (new rotors, pads and brackets) I sanded the parking brake shoes with 120 sand paper using a sanding block. I only sanded them enough to remove the crud and flatten out the grooves. I then adjusted the shoes properly following Eddie's tech article about it to make sure I did right this time. Night and day difference. My parking brake finally works every time I use it!

jknikos

My e-brake havent work since day 1.:doh: Even if I feel it tight sometimes i dont trust it at all. Too many times trying to catch my JK after parking it.:naw:

Top Bottom