A shout out to RIPP Superchargers

rovingshoe

A few months back I brought my 2010 JKU in for Massachusetts inspection. (BTW: I have yet to find a station that will pass my tire coverage. I even know the dealer on a persona level, but his tech's won't pass it. I have to temporarily mount my stock wheels just to pass.)

On this last state inspection my JKU passed the inspection, but when the station printed out the sticker it said "FAIL".:eek: They had never seen this on a Jeep, and thought that the state might just be having random inspections. The print-out instructed me to call the MAC (Motorist Assistance Centers) in my region for another inspection. I called and made the necessary appointment. Luckily it was only a few miles away.:clap2:

The MAC inspector informed me I was chosen because the 'system' had detected that I had a non-standard tune in my JKU. Apparently the emissions part of the inspections, being performed entirely thru the OBD-II port, can query the tune and determine if it is not a factory tune. He said it is primarily targeting diesel vehicles where a tune can really have an impact on emissions.

Once I told him I had a supercharger and a special tune for that he said that it would likely need to be removed, but was willing to work with me. On further inspection he was able to see that the metal plate on the supercharger said nothing about CARB certified. I brought him the installation paperwork and a brochure for the RIPP supercharger saying it is now CARB certified, but he required more proof that this particular install was certified. It turns out that I purchased the RIPP just prior to them being certified, and had purchased it without the intercooler. I added the intercooler some time later after realizing that CARB compliant required it. But it also turned out that the CARB certified version is the same as what I have installed, except perhaps the tune.

I would like to thank RIPP for working with me to get the proper invoice history I needed to satisfy the MAC inspector, sending me the CARB sticker for the unit, sending me a new tune, and most of all for taking the MAC inspectors calls for further clarification. With all this information I was able to now get it re-inspected at the dealer and it passed. (Note: after I re-tuned I did need to drive a lot, in different conditions, to get the ready codes all set. I never really found what I think are accurate drive cycles to set the codes. I eventually purchased a OBD-II monitor just to see their status. Getting the O2 ready was a major pain. I wish that the DiaboSport InTune had this monitoring built in)

As it turned out I happened to pick the right supercharger without realizing it. I had no expectation when I put on the supercharger that state inspection would be an issue. I do not think other superchargers are CARB certified or perhaps might not have worked so well with me or the MAC inspector to get the proper information to pass the inspection.

So not only am I completely satisfied with the RIPP Supercharger on my '10 JKU,:rock: but I am even more satisfied with the company that stands behind their product and does what is required to maintain happy customers.:thumb:

pastorwug

That's good news, especially here in the land of fruits and nutts - California.
I've been contemplating the RIPP for a while, just can't come up with the $$$.
There's a WAL guy locally that has the RIPP installed in his JKUR and I've been meaning to connect with him to check it all out, just haven't so far.
Also glad to hear about the customer service with RIPP - that always helps.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
There's a WAL guy locally that has the RIPP installed in his JKUR and I've been meaning to connect with him to check it all out, just haven't so far.

You don't want a rip in the mountains here

Ceithre

Glad everything worked out for you! Just sad what you had to go through... and anyone with these emissions tests. Glad I live a free a state where I can pay $50 to renew my tags and call it good for the year.

Dune Crawler

The commando jeep in JKX video interested me on the RIPP

Pacific Northwest: jk experience 1-4. I think it's commando? Or black? hard to tell on a iPhone screen

It's the dark green drove my Philipe. His lic plate says FROG1. I ran with him in Moab. It's pretty impressive and he hasn't had any issues at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom