Rubicrawler

jkur77

I have an 07 jkur with stock drivetrain and am running 37's with 5.13 gears. I would like to crawl slower in the rocks and was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with the rubicrawler?

noroad

Would it be better just to go with the atlas transfer case?

at this point i think thats your options are limited(atlas being the best) as you have a rubicon 4:1 and pretty low gears.

edit you have an auto so when you wheel do you think it has a hard time shifting to second gear to get that nice even low roll?(have you programmed it?

jkur77

at this point i think thats your options are limited(atlas being the best) as you have a rubicon 4:1 and pretty low gears.

edit you have an auto so when you wheel do you think it has a hard time shifting to second gear to get that nice even low roll?(have you programmed it?

I don't have a hard time shifting to second or anything I normally crawl in first gear in low range. And yes I have reprogrammed for the gear ratio and larger tires. I would like to have a nice even, slow as possible, roll.

KYRubi

I know this thread is a little old, but didn't see what I would think is a good answer. If you are still wondering...

Since you have a JKUR, the Rubicrawler will add 2.72:1 and 10.88:1 ranges. The 2.72:1 should be good for mud when you need some more tire speed to clean the tires out, and between obstacles when the non Rubicons are taking off and leaving you when you're in 4:1. The 10.88:1 should be nice for slowly crawling over obstacles. Just pay attention and don't get a tire bound up or you could definitely snap something.

My Rubicrawler shipped today and is getting installed next week in my JKR along with the 37" Trail Grapplers and 4" long arm. It already has 5.13 gears, so it will be very similar to what you are running. It will definitely be at the Gateway to the Cumberlands Jeep Jamboree in October, and may be on a trail ride before that. I'd be happy to let you know what I think compared to just the stock Rubicon transfer case with 35" Trail Grapplers.

jkur77

I know this thread is a little old, but didn't see what I would think is a good answer. If you are still wondering...

Since you have a JKUR, the Rubicrawler will add 2.72:1 and 10.88:1 ranges. The 2.72:1 should be good for mud when you need some more tire speed to clean the tires out, and between obstacles when the non Rubicons are taking off and leaving you when you're in 4:1. The 10.88:1 should be nice for slowly crawling over obstacles. Just pay attention and don't get a tire bound up or you could definitely snap something.

My Rubicrawler shipped today and is getting installed next week in my JKR along with the 37" Trail Grapplers and 4" long arm. It already has 5.13 gears, so it will be very similar to what you are running. It will definitely be at the Gateway to the Cumberlands Jeep Jamboree in October, and may be on a trail ride before that. I'd be happy to let you know what I think compared to just the stock Rubicon transfer case with 35" Trail Grapplers.

I still haven't got mine yet. Let me know what you think after you get yours installed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it's just me but the 4:1 transfer case on my Rubicon seems to be all I really want and need, especially with an automatic. Any lower and it would be too low or, at least in my opinion. That being said, I have run a Rubicrawler on a Sahara with a non-Rubi t-case and thought it worked well. I also have an Atlas 2-speed on my 07 now with the LS we're running but have it geared so that it's similar to what we had on our Rubicon. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so, you can take that for what it's worth.

KYRubi

I really don't need anything deeper than the 4:1 either. However, here in KY we have a lot of this stuff called mud. I'm getting the Rubicrawler for the 2.72:1 medium range. Hopefully it will help me get the tires spinning a little faster and clear the mud out better. Also, between some of the obstacles I have a hard time keeping up if I leave it in 4:1 when others are running 2.72:1.

David1tontj

I really don't need anything deeper than the 4:1 either. However, here in KY we have a lot of this stuff called mud. I'm getting the Rubicrawler for the 2.72:1 medium range. Hopefully it will help me get the tires spinning a little faster and clear the mud out better. Also, between some of the obstacles I have a hard time keeping up if I leave it in 4:1 when others are running 2.72:1.

I swapped my transfer case gears out for a 4:1. I love it for the rocks, it's perfect, but it is way too low for the snow and mud. It sounds like you are on the right track if you're trying to get that 2:72 gear back for the mud.

KYRubi

The Rubicrawler is installed and shifts well. I haven't tested it out off road yet, but will next weekend. The 10.88:1 is insane. On flat ground with traction, the brakes can't hold it. Maybe with a brake upgrade it will be able to stop it. It will be interesting to test it out in a rock garden. Definitely looking forward to having the 2.72:1 for the mud since there will probably be some rain next weekend. I'll post updates after the trip with my opinion.

68DCE87A-DCA2-43F8-B92F-536DD29BE395_zpsqotnowct.jpg

KYRubi

I have a couple days of trails with the Rubicrawler now. I liked having the 2.72:1 for the non technical sections of trail. Definitely made it much easier to keep up between obstacles too. We didn't have anything more than a few mud puddles, so I wasn't able to test it in the scenario I actually had it installed for. I used the 4:1 for the more technical sections. I didn't end up using the 10.88:1 at all. There just wasn't anything that I needed more than 4:1 for. Also, the 10.88 scares me a little just having built up D44's. I really don't like breaking stuff out on the trails. It shifts well, but it is more difficult than before. A lot of that is probably the upgrade to the heavy duty shift linkages.

YellowJK

The whole reason for anyone with a 4-1 would be the 2.72 that it has. I want one bad but for that price for just a 2.72 I can't see it. I can't imagine the 10-1 being that good unless you could stop it but then there's more money. That's what is holding me back in a big way because I know I'll bind, can't stop it and boom. Without experience with that 10-1 it would be cool when you use it to let us know how it worked for you. I guess there always is neutral.

KYRubi

I agree with you about the best reason to get it is if you have a Rubicon and would like the 2.72:1 also. That is the reason I got it. The problem is weather or not that extra ratio is worth $2k to you. I don't see myself using the 10.88:1 any time soon. Maybe once it's riding on D60's and I have a lot more experience off road.

bouche03

Are all of you running autos? I run a manual and just hit 3rd gear if I am falling behind with the 4.1 transfer case...is that not a safe thing to do?

Top Bottom