2.5" BB lift home work done w/?

Tackerdown

Banned
Thanks in advance
---2011 JKU Rubi Automatic ---

Reasons
*looks better
*better off road ability (may only be able to go off road 3 times a year) For Now
*tire size 285/75/17 ( I read that 285 was the largest i could put on my stock rims)
*money is a concern.

Two lift kits I've come up with are the
*Rough Country budget series II which will have spacers front/back, shock extensions,break line brackets, and rear track bar bracket, rear sway bar links.
* Teraflex has the same thing for $80 more,I think they both have bump stops

-- Questions
Is Teraflex worth the extra $80 for a budget lift?

Are 285/75/17 really the largest i can go with stock rims, I was shooting for 305/70/17?

Do i need to change my front shaft with a 2.5" lift on a 2011 jk Auto with shock extensions instead of longer shocks ( i read WOL mentioned this about longer shocks) and wasn't sure if extensions would have the same properties?

Teraflex says to move the old rear sway links to the front because they are longer, sounds good to me and I don't think the would recommend a bad idea would they?

Am I being to anal for a budget lift?

Would I be better of just saving for springs and shocks and eliminate all the extra hardware? (which would bring up the shaft issue again).

I don't think I missed anything :gaah::gaah:

Thanks again

Tackerdown

Banned
10 characters again and again what the hell
Thanks in advance
---2011 JKU Rubi Automatic ---
10 characters 10 characters
Reasons
*looks better
*better off road ability (may only be able to go off road 3 times a year) For Now
*tire size 285/75/17 ( I read that 285 was the large10 charactersst i could put on my stock rims)
*money is a concern.

Two lift kits I've come up with are the
*Rough Country budget series II which will have spacers front/back, shock extensions,break line brackets, and rear track bar bracket, rear sway bar links.
* Teraflex has the same thing for $80 ($179) more,I think they both have bump stops **I can't find anything that says rough country has bump stops with there BB lift kit with out shocks, which for the front doesn't matter but might for the back.

-- Questions
Is Teraflex worth the extra $80 for a budget lift
**correction $179 but does include bump stops rough country doesn't

Are 285/75/17 really the largest i can go with stock rims, I was shooting for 305/70/17?
**I believe the simple answer to this is add spacers for back spacing and call it a day.

Do i need to change my front shaft with a 2.5" lift on a 2011 jk Auto with shock extensions instead of longer shocks ( i read WOL mentioned this about longer shocks) and wasn't sure if extensions would have the same properties?
**Still not sure on this one but everything points to the possibility of the larger automatic shaft rubbing the trans at full articulation?

Teraflex says to move the old rear sway links to the front because they are longer, sounds good to me and I don't think the would recommend a bad idea would they?
​**I've confirmed that this is proper procedure, but not sure if its needed for the rubi with auto disc.

**I believe this to be correct

Would I be better of just saving for springs and shocks and eliminate all the extra hardware? (which would bring up the shaft issue again).
**I don't think so due to the fact that I am planning on a better lift in a few years. why spend the extra money on parts that will be no good when i get a good lift.

Thanks to past posts on this sight,project JK sight, and a few others for the info to come up with the answers,apparently i didn't do enough home work before. I'm still not sure on two of the issues but learning from experience is best IMO.

I don't think I missed anything :gaah::gaah:
what do you mean 10 characters I wrote a book.:naw:

Thanks again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is Teraflex worth the extra $80 for a budget lift?

yeah, i'd say it's about as cheap as you can go to get you a bit more lift.

no, you can go bigger but, you will need to run 1.5" wheel spacers.

you will be fine with factory shocks and extensions.

it's fine to do and what i would do. the new longer links go in the back.

nah, it's just your first time doing this :D

not necessarily, it just depends on how you ultimately plan on using your jeep. you can always sell what you have an upgrade in the future.

Tackerdown

Banned
Thanks WOL, my biggest issue was the shaft and with my usage of the lift, meaning maybe 4 times a year at this point on moderate trail I didn't think cheap would be a bad thing. When I do install a full lift I'll be following the suggestions from you and the other pros on here.
Thanks for all the vids and coverage of the SEMA and the Rubicat is one sweet ride, the color jeep i wanted but wasn't willing to wait another year to get a used one lol. Thanks again you guise :rock: but i think your vids are giving me an obsession problem ( according to my wife):yup:

Tranquillity

I would go with teraflex without a doubt, you will need wheel spacer tought. Even with stock tires unless you get rims with an offset. I'm not here to judge you but every one I knew who went with 33" changed to 35" not much later... Are you really minded for 33"?

If you do want to go for 35", I'd suggest changing your fender or adding a body mount....

I do have the 2.5" TF with daystar 1" bodymount and it runs great with my 35". I did the installation myself without any problem following the youtube video.

Tackerdown

Banned
Thank for the input
My plan is to go with the BB lift threw this set if tires ( new ) 225/75/17 - stock rubi tires, 32" basically. then slip in the larger 33's on the next change 33.6" i think they are, unsuspecting to my wife :idontknow:. At the end of there life I'm hoping to have other investments payed down and proceed to the full system. For my reality I think I'll do 35's or 37's and a 4" lift. I haven't looked that fare so I'm not sure on what size lift to do yet if i go 37's. I have time to figure that out later and by then I'm sure things will have evo lved and maybe supply and demand will have brought the price down :icon_crazy: wishful thinking. So BB lift with stock tires, then larger tires w/1.5" spacers, and then dodge the wife with her right hook as I mention the $2,000 lift kit. I think this should work.:thinking: oh I guess i might need to rethink gearing to I have a Stock 2011 rubi .

Tranquillity

dodge the wife with her right hook

lolllll I do that all the time...

Just to be sure. You will need wheel spacer with yout stock mag if you lift.... and an alignment.

Your gear with the stock rubi is fine with 37", I run 3.73 ratio with my 35". But if you can afford it, why not !! Anyway that should easily slip through the wife's X-ray vision... I managed to pass a body mount with mine lollll.

Tackerdown

Banned
I'm going to need to build up some major browny points.
I think I can swing the spacers with what I'll save on the cheep lift. I guess I'll spend the money for good ones since I'm keeping them with the next lift.

Thanks for the info.

Tackerdown

Banned
install update /rundown :Ok I went with the rough country 2.5" budget boost spacer lift kit (series II) on my 2011 JKU rub automatic. First everything seems durable except I'm not sure of the front shock extensions, you go from the stock 1/4" steal bracket to maybe an 1/8"extension bracket,others seem to be the same though.
1st the instructions start you in the front but if your going to put the old rear sway links from the back in the front I would start in the back, it only made sense to me.
2nd the front passenger side spring seemed to be very difficult to get on ,maybe a spring compressor would have been nice. but i got it on without one and the passenger side brake line doesn't seem to really want or need to relocate ( I haven't flexed it yet so don't take my word on that)
I used my fancy sears 3 ton pump jack a two 3 ton jack stands sold at sears in a kit, air comp. & impact made the job much easier. NOTE I think if you are to put on a bigger lift you might need higher jack stands. oh and to get the last spring on i used an old lawn mower blade (passenger side front)

now in my haste i forgot to measure my height before I installed the lift to see what my 2.5" front 2" rear lift would give me, so if anyone out there reading this has a stock 2011 JKUR with 225/75/17 on I'd appreciate some input. From the ground to the top of the rear bumper I now have 29" inches and in the front to the center of the fog light I have 26". I'm sure tread will effect this but get me close, I'm over half tread life left.

I'm sure anyone with some mechanical ability would be able to do this, the instructions seem to be easy to follow if you need them.note that I would take the rear passenger side e-brake cable off its clip at the top,pull the breather tube out of the axle FR/R and pull the plastic insert clips out for the lockers and break lines FR/R to allow more travel and if your not putting on longer sway links you may need to disconnect them too for more travel.
This took me less than 6 hrs. but i'm not sure, the in-laws stopped in while i kept working but with interruption, and one thread on the old sway bar link was bad and I had to fix it without a tap. I used my cable cutters to fix the thread.

Alright that's my input. If anyone has any questions comments input please chime in, this sight helped me and my boy's and I hope this will help others in the same way. :drinks:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
this image that is posted in the tech FAQ should help you to figure things out.

attachment.php

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...stions-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-JK-Wrangler

:yup:

Tackerdown

Banned
Thanks, After I posted that I went to that section and found it. I was going to post it but didn't have time. Thanks again for the help.

Top Bottom