Need some help yall.

tommybahama

So i have read this may be a common problem but i have an 08jk manual trans and it pops out of first gear i have read that it may be the shift boot in the way, so i am going to remove it and see if it still has problems. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do?

Brogie

Do you have a body lift? It is more prevalent for it to pop out off 4th or 6th with a body lift but it could also occur in 1st.

xrocknrollx

I can tell you a friend of mine had the same problem for over a month (he had it pop out hard enough to bruise his palm). He took the jeep to the dealer 3 separate times and on the last time of hearing "mechanics could not replicate" he brought up lemon laws (certified pre owned still under warranty)... Magically when he got it back it was fixed.

I wish the dealer would of been honest on what they did to fix it but the day after he brought up lemon laws they gave it back completely fixed and said they did nothing.

I wish I could help more but I do believe that it is a common issue in 07 & 08.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I had this issue with my 07 JK. Don't buy the "shift boot" nonsense. It's a cop out. There is a problem with the synchros. If you have a warranty take it in, if not, you may be out of luck. It's a very uncomfortable feeling and a safety issue if you ask me.

Trail JK

I had this issue with my 07 JK. Don't buy the "shift boot" nonsense. It's a cop out. There is a problem with the synchros. If you have a warranty take it in, if not, you may be out of luck. It's a very uncomfortable feeling and a safety issue if you ask me.

I had the same problem with my 07 and two synchtros needed to be replaced. The dealership didn't want to check so I had to insist. I was out of warranty and paid out of pocket.

That said, even after all was fixed it popped out of gear again. I removed the daystar switch panel that was in front of the shifter and it didn't have another issue.

tommybahama

So yall think I should take it to the dealership with the lemon laws in mind? It isnt under warranty but so i am not sure if it still falls under since ive had it for more than a month.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately I don't think the Lemon Law will apply to your JK. It's to old and not under warranty

Alright so realistically has anyone pulled their transmission without having to pull the engine?

Yep, 4 freakin times. Twice in 12 hrs. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423417116.013072.jpg

Note: don't precoat the pressure plate bolts, it'll cost you about $1300 for a clutch shop to show you the error of your ways, lol.

So did you replace your synchros or what did you have to pull off and how much are new synchros if you did?

That whole fiasco started with a bad Throwout Bearing. Didn't do the synchros. However, if you're planning to do them I'd recommend having a shop do the work.

tommybahama

That whole fiasco started with a bad Throwout Bearing. Didn't do the synchros. However, if you're planning to do them I'd recommend having a shop do the work.

Thanks man i appreciate it. Im gonna look at the shift boot just to be sure its not in the way. But ill probably end up calling a shop.

Top Bottom