I want 33's!!!

Renagade119

Eh guys! I wanna stuff 33' duratracs under my stock 06 TJ, Im assuming Ill need a 4' lift but is there anything else I NEED?

Trail_Creeper

I ran 2" coil spring lift and some longer bump stops on my '04 Rubicon when it had 33s. It rode well, and performed great of the trails.

Hell_Fire

Agreed you can run 33s on a 2" one of my buds still run his 33s with his 2" lift and it goes most places with us - just looks better on 4" :D

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Renagade119 said:
SYE kit? What is that? I posted on another forum and they suggested I get a whole bunch of other stuff to reduce CV wear and some other stuff. I think I'll just get 31's, less complications.

Slip yoke eliminator kit. I have a 4:1 kit and SYE kit for sale :)

socc3rakd25

go big or go home! but 33's will be fine with a 2" lift. shouldn't have any problems. there is minor things you could do to fix tour steering geometry and axle alignment and stuff to prevent wear but none of it is really necessary until you go bigger than 33s or higher than 2"s. Do it!!!:thumb::rock::rock::rock:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
socc3rakd25 said:
go big or go home! but 33's will be fine with a 2" lift. shouldn't have any problems. there is minor things you could do to fix tour steering geometry and axle alignment and stuff to prevent wear but none of it is really necessary until you go bigger than 33s or higher than 2"s. Do it!!!:thumb::rock::rock::rock:

You do see he has a TJ right?

Trail_Creeper

33s and locked, you will be amazed the places you can go. As for the SYE (slip yoke eliminator), if you go over 3.5" you'll start to experience drivetrain vibes. This will help fix it but you will also need a new driveshaft. A 2" lift will not create a steep enough angle for you to need a SYE or new driveshaft.

This was 2" with the hockey pucks on the coil buckets. Front sway bar disco'd, rear still connected an stock shocks.

Attachments

• image-4056112193.jpg
    image-4056112193.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 195

sm31

The 2" spacer lift for 33's is confusing to me. I'm not doubting the comments here, but I don't understand how they avoid clearance issues... especially on stock backspacing. Occasionally I would even rub my old 31's when I had a 2" BB, and that's with 3.5" backspacing (swaybar disco'd).

Edit: I suppose enough bumpstop extension would do it...

IMO the nicest complete "kit" for 33" tires is the OME Ultimate kit from dpgoffroad. The included MML addresses the drive line vibe issue (pre tummy tuck) & the small body lift allows room for a tummy tuck someday. You'll have all the clearance you need for 33's, and much better ride quality than stock.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The 2" spacer lift for 33's is confusing to me. I'm not doubting the comments here, but I don't understand how they avoid clearance issues... especially on stock backspacing. Occasionally I would even rub my old 31's when I had a 2" BB, and that's with 3.5" backspacing (swaybar disco'd).

Edit: I suppose enough bumpstop extension would do it...

IMO the nicest complete "kit" for 33" tires is the OME Ultimate kit from dpgoffroad. The included MML addresses the drive line vibe issue (pre tummy tuck) & the small body lift allows room for a tummy tuck someday. You'll have all the clearance you need for 33's, and much better ride quality than stock.

He has a JK. On it, you can easily clear 33's with just 2" of lift. On a TJ, you need more.

gouacats

On my old TJ I ran 33x12.5 with a 2" BB and a 1" body lift with hockey puck bump stops up front. Worked well for me.

EugeneTheTJ

For 33s I would recommend 2-3.5 inches total lift. If you want a good overall system grab some 2" lift coils, a 1-1.25" BL, and some new ca's (I prefer jjs on both ends). That'll be nasty for 33s and with proper bumpstops will be also great for 35s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, we've run that setup in the past, 2" budget boost and 1" body lift. Gets the job done and doesn't require an SYE/CV :cool:

xjryder

you can use a Daystar kit and you will not have to change steering geometry, and or driveshafts, , there is a kit for TJ/LJ's that if you want to run a bigger tire you can do a highline fender kit , it will run about $1000 because you change out the fender wells, I have seen guys run a 38 TSL with a 2" daystar kit and this fender set up. If you want to go a cheaper route you can take the stock fender and move it up by trimming the fenderwell and bolting the fender up 1 inch and trim the hood. You also have to trim the inner well and drill some holes, Do what you want but the Daystar kit takes about 1 hour to install and you can run a 33 no problem

Renagade119

Oh dear god, this is starting to be too much :crazyeyes: hahaha for now I think Ill just stick with stock ride height but eventually I may work my way up to 33's. I dont got the need nor the budget for all this.... Which is a bummer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh dear god, this is starting to be too much :crazyeyes: hahaha for now I think Ill just stick with stock ride height but eventually I may work my way up to 33's. I dont got the need nor the budget for all this.... Which is a bummer

LOL!! Trust me, a 2" BB is cheap and easy to install. A 1" BL even easier. Both can be done in about a day and it'll get you clearing 32's-33's and without needing to address your rear drive shaft. Here are a couple of write-ups that will help you out:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/REBB.html
http://www.4x4xplor.com/bl.html

Renagade119

Hahaha thanks, the other thing thats a bit of an issue right now is the money. Im 17 with a part time job and dad sure as hell aint going to pay for 33's and it will take me stupid long to save up for them. Maybe later in life when I have a job

Top Bottom