3.5inch Rough Country Lift thoughts?

tonytony9

So I am considering lifting my jeep, but I really don't have the money to be spending the thousands for a really good one. I was considering the Teraflex one until I saw this one. $500 sounds like a great deal especially since it includes everything needed.

Little background: My jeep is a daily driver and I really do not do heavy off roading. I occasionally like to but it's nothing to stressful on it. It's a 08 wrangler unlimited X with 116k miles on it (I do about 1k a month during school year). Will this be too much stress on my rig/cause problems? I am currently running 295's with 1.5 inch wheel spacers. I do get a little rubbing so this will definitely help me there.

Can someone please give me some input or suggest some options for me. Like I said I don't want to spend a ton, $500 is a lovely price. And I would like to do it myself (don't want to waste another $250 on an installation).

Grubbicon

When I got my jeep it had a 3.5 Rough Country and I decided to just leave it on for awhile do other things then come back and put a Rock Krawler long arm on it later. Well a week after I ordered my Rock Krawler this happen. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423610698.884162.jpg
Because of the Rough Country drop bracket on the track bar it put more stress and over time it started to crack the mount and I didnt catch it till it was too late and it broke the mount right off the frame. In the end it was just a easy fix because I just welded the mount back together and put a Synergy reinforcement bracket on it. So moral of the story is the one thing you dont want to do is cheap out on a lift cause you will get what you pay for an it is gonna cost you more in the long run.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'd personally save up for a better lift, but if you do go with this lift, I'd skip the dropped pitman arm and purchase a crown rhd drag link instead. You'd be better off flipping it than the pitman arm. Save up for shocks also, these don't last very long either

Tanner505

To be completely honest, don't get a rough country lift, save a get a better engineered kit rc stuff is crap in my opinion

olram30

When I got my jeep it had a 3.5 Rough Country and I decided to just leave it on for awhile do other things then come back and put a Rock Krawler long arm on it later. Well a week after I ordered my Rock Krawler this happen. View attachment 123889
Because of the Rough Country drop bracket on the track bar it put more stress and over time it started to crack the mount and I didnt catch it till it was too late and it broke the mount right off the frame. In the end it was just a easy fix because I just welded the mount back together and put a Synergy reinforcement bracket on it. So moral of the story is the one thing you dont want to do is cheap out on a lift cause you will get what you pay for an it is gonna cost you more in the long run.

Oh yeah, I thought they used an axle side bracket, frame side suck and put a lot of force on your factory bracket

tonytony9

When I got my jeep it had a 3.5 Rough Country and I decided to just leave it on for awhile do other things then come back and put a Rock Krawler long arm on it later. Well a week after I ordered my Rock Krawler this happen. View attachment 123889

Well that looks awful. That's too bad really want a lift but something I should definitely consider. Thank you.

Dune Crawler

I got their 2.5-2.75in lift bc of the price and I really wanted a lifted jeep. IMO I would run coil spacers and save for something you really want and feels better on/off road

FYI they're called ROUGH country for a reason.

olram30

To run 295 tires, I'd look into the Rancho 2" sport kit. 400 bucks with the adjustable shocks.

tonytony9

I got their 2.5-2.75in lift bc of the price and I really wanted a lifted jeep. IMO I would run coil spacers and save for something you really want and feels better on/off road

FYI they're called ROUGH country for a reason.

So then you would recommend something like the teraflex spacers?

olram30

Is that any better stress wise? Because I want to make sure this doesn't start messing up my rig.

None, new springs up front, spacers in back, bump stops, brake line brackets and really nice shocks. Amazon had them for around 400 bucks with free shipping.

Grubbicon

Well that looks awful. That's too bad really want a lift but something I should definitely consider. Thank you.
Your welcome. Hope that really did turn your thinking of their stuff being complete. That left me out on the trail broke and a long ride home with it ratchet strapped back and going 5mph home. Its a 2 hour ride running 80.

DrunkWoods

Rough Country has the best warranty out there!! Read their warranties and compare them. I have a 3.5 inch Rough Country with a RC steering stabilizer. My wife has a 6 inch long arm lift and. Double RC stabilizer. We have not had any problems out of their products at all. Just because they offer a good product for less, does not mean they are junk. If you have any issues with their products, call them and they would probably be very happy to correct the problem.

noroad

Rough Country has the best warranty out there!! Read their warranties and compare them. I have a 3.5 inch Rough Country with a RC steering stabilizer. My wife has a 6 inch long arm lift and. Double RC stabilizer. We have not had any problems out of their products at all. Just because they offer a good product for less, does not mean they are junk. If you have any issues with their products, call them and they would probably be very happy to correct the problem.

the best warranty is the one you never have to use! just saying!

Top Bottom