Recovery(tow) straps vs Lifting strap?

Storman1969

So I ordered a strap for saving a tree when winching, got one for straight winch then one for when i use the shackle and then I would have a spare if I ever broke one. But I remembered reading an article about a farmer being killed by a large 6 inch lifting strap that went through the window of the tandem truck when being pulled by tractor, one person commented on how he was glad he knew the difference between a lifting strap and a recovery strap. My first taught was the shackle or hook came through the window, with the lack of information in the small article it was hard to tell what exactly happen and the journalist possibly used lifting strap as his perception of what he was told by the officer. all that said It always stuck in my head "what is the difference?", I know what a lifting strap is all about being I have my rigging license and had to use in my career as a daily tool. I know its rated and made to lift, and the only thing I can see as different is that a recovery strap would be made to sling shot, stretch, tug which I am not sure that a lifting strap would have the same characteristics(won't last ). I am sure for what I am doing they will be OK and I do own a long recovery strap for pulling but I would like to ear what somebody(or all) with more knowledge than me would have to say or enlighten some of the members please.

Thanks.

David1tontj

So I ordered a strap for saving a tree when winching, got one for straight winch then one for when i use the shackle and then I would have a spare if I ever broke one. But I remembered reading an article about a farmer being killed by a large 6 inch lifting strap that went through the window of the tandem truck when being pulled by tractor, one person commented on how he was glad he knew the difference between a lifting strap and a recovery strap. My first taught was the shackle or hook came through the window, with the lack of information in the small article it was hard to tell what exactly happen and the journalist possibly used lifting strap as his perception of what he was told by the officer. all that said It always stuck in my head "what is the difference?", I know what a lifting strap is all about being I have my rigging license and had to use in my career as a daily tool. I know its rated and made to lift, and the only thing I can see as different is that a recovery strap would be made to sling shot, stretch, tug which I am not sure that a lifting strap would have the same characteristics(won't last ). I am sure for what I am doing they will be OK and I do own a long recovery strap for pulling but I would like to ear what somebody(or all) with more knowledge than me would have to say or enlighten some of the members please.

Thanks.

Also- "tow straps" don't stretch, while "snatch straps" do.
I try not to use a snatch strap. You need to make sure that people have very good tow points.. Snatch straps generate a lot of energy and can rip a bumper right off a truck if not properly bolted on.

I generally try to use a tow strap without bumping or tugging hard, and if that doesn't work, I use my winch.
There's just something about dumping the clutch and getting speed to yank someone out that doesn't sit well with me. I go for the more thought out, carefully executed recovery.

Snatch straps do work well in the snow, and other super low traction terrains though.

Armydog

I have a Bubba Rope which is a snatch strap. It does work pretty well for stuck in deep snow scenarios. I agreed with David that you need to be sure of your anchor point when snatching a stuck truck out of the deep stuff. Winching is much more methodical and safe but not always as expedient. A quick tug can get it done!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Every tool has its purpose. A snatch strap should be dynamic and act like a rubber band. They are very effective, especially when the pulling vehicle is not a big-ass tractor.

Tow straps are static and should have little or no stretch. They are great for towing vehicles. I'd never use one to yank a stuck vehicle out.

Tree savers and winch extensions should also be static.

Armydog

Every tool has its purpose. A snatch strap should be dynamic and act like a rubber band. They are very effective, especially when the pulling vehicle is not a big-ass tractor.

Tow straps are static and should have little or no stretch. They are great for towing vehicles. I'd never use one to yank a stuck vehicle out.

^^^^this......

kg6bws

I generally try to use a tow strap without bumping or tugging hard, and if that doesn't work, I use my winch.
There's just something about dumping the clutch and getting speed to yank someone out that doesn't sit well with me. I go for the more thought out, carefully executed recovery.

Im right there with you. I carry a tow strap and a retired lifting strap as a tree protector. If I cant get someone out by just pulling steadily, then I pull the winch cable out.

Jackal01

^^^^this......

Agree with this also.

MTG

Caught the Bug

So snatches should be flexible? :idontknow:

MTG

Caught the Bug
So which one of you uses the strap if the other has a snatch??? 

That's for us to know and for you to fantasize about. BTW pretty funny question coming from the guy who wrote this...

Thanks for sharing the race driver's experience with us. The cool factor must where [sic] off over time. Sitting in EVO1, with my hand on your thigh, all I could do was grin. Ha ha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom