At the risk of being banned ala JKF days of old

bbailey

Banned
Any cage is going to be bad at 60mph.

This simply isn't correct. I've seen more than a few cages protect occupants in crashes at far greater speeds, in street cars.

My OPINION from my road race days is that if you really want something to truly protect you for "worst case scenario" you'll need a cage with x braces, and so many tubes that you'll have a dedicated Off road/trail rig.

Assuming you have the background you say, then you know it's all in the design. Many cage builders throw more and more tubing at a problem to create a structurally sound cage. And you end up with something that clearly isn't streetable. I'd also say you started with a builder that didn't truly understand what they were doing or the engineering behind it. It's not that hard to build a cage in a JKU that retains all the creature comforts of a stock JKU with the added safety of a full cage. That said, it's also not cheap.

Modifying your car/hotrod/offroad rig can often be a slippery slope between streetability and ultimate dedicated hobby-centric functionality. In my experience, the roll cage, as nice as it is to have I catastrophic events was one of the primary contributing factors that turned my street rods into garage queens based on elimination of creature comforts.

This is very true and something everyone (especially those taller than average) should think about. It's also why many sports cars with cages get relegated to garage queen status. Bumping your head on a cage, even lightly, can very easily be fatal. It's very difficult, in the tight confines of most sports cars, to build a cage that you can't whack your head on pretty easily due to even a light impact. It's why I never recommended cages in street cars (roll bars, yes, full cages, no) when I was building racecars. Jeeps are a bit different as the packaging is different but the risks are the same. Bump your head on an unpadded bar and you are likely looking at a severe concussion or worse. Even with padding, it can be very dangerous.

Think about it. Add a harness bar and you can't recline your front seats anymore. End of the world? No. Add a rear harness bar and you impact your ability to carry rear cargo. Wouldn't you want door braces or swing out door braces? More hassle to get in and out. Additional tubes impact ability to enter/exit. Then you're impacting the factory sound bar....maybe the shitty subwoofer. More squeaks and rattles to add to the suspension squeaks and wind noise and tire noise and exhaust drone. There is for most a straw that breaks the camels back....you just don't realize that you've reached that point until after you passed it. At what point are you dreading a drive to the mall or a quick errand? At what point do you find it parked for all purposes but your next trip to the trail? I've been there half a dozen times with street rods. Most of my gear head buddies have had rigs
That have done the same....and these aren't pansies that want "mall crawlers or garage queens". I personally just need a huge proof point that the more robust weld-in options are not overtly intrusive before taking the plunge this time. I added a sport cage to my build but stopped short of a weld in custom cage based on this premise. If someone can show me a truly "reasonably practical" option I would likely be willing to make a change/upgrade. I just can't envision such a system

At the risk of being banned ala JKF days of old, I would suggest you search out other options online. Most on this forum go the sport cage route. We might have a few with full custom cages, but I feel safe in saying there aren't 5 build threads on this forum that detail a fully custom cage build. There are on some of the other JK dedicated forums and quite a few of these are still very streetable. Are there trade-offs? Absolutely and you seem to understand those pretty well. It's a question of what trade off are you willing to accept. And you need to know what those are and understand them going in so you can design around those requirements before you start burning in components of your cage.

If you don't have proper racing shells, you shouldn't be running harnesses so a harness bar becomes somewhat moot (this is a whole other argument that we definitely don't want to get started on). If you are running shells, then a harness bar isn't that big a compromise because you can't recline your seat anyway. In the back, it's a question of what and how much gear you carry. I'm always using my back seat and have a cage design sitting in Solidworks right now that allows me to use the back as I need to. Of course I don't carry anything that requires folding the rear seats, so a cross bar there doesn't bother me. Only thing I carry on the floor of the back is a welder, a small tool kit, and a large cooler. Everything else fits in the basket to be strapped down. This still leaves room to tie upper rear shock mounts into the cage structure at some point in the future without impacting my ability to carry the camping/wheeling gear that I typically carry. That works great for me, might not for others.

bbailey

Banned
This simply isn't correct.

Not to get off topic but are you going to state that no one was banned from JK Forum for mentioning other forums or for mentioning manufacturers that weren't sponsors of JK Forum while under it's previous management? It was a regular and routine occurence.

I was banned for merely mentioning Poly Performance in a PM to another forum member prior them becoming a sponsor of that forum.

That's water under the bridge however and I'm not dredging up that old topic. The info is easily ascertainable if anyone cares to search it out.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not to get off topic but are you going to state that no one was banned from JK Forum for mentioning other forums or for mentioning manufacturers that weren't sponsors of JK Forum while under it's previous management? It was a regular and routine occurence.

I was banned for merely mentioning Poly Performance in a PM to another forum member prior them becoming a sponsor of that forum.

That's water under the bridge however and I'm not dredging up that old topic. The info is easily ascertainable if anyone cares to search it out.

Seems to me you are "dredging up an old topic." And in case you weren't aware, this isn't JKF this is wayalife.

MTG

Caught the Bug

My response was merely addressing your claim that I wasn't around in the JK-forum days...a point in which you are clearly wrong. But since you brought up the other stuff I'll bite.

In my experience people got/get banned for being douche bags and having an over inflated sense of self-worth and self-entitlement issues. Most of them went about spouting how they got banned for "only this" or "only that" blah blah blah. Then they run over to JKO and bragged how tough they are. Frankly I think it's sad that people's self-esteem is so low they need to have their internet buddies validate their actions (e.g. Dahreno's recent shenanigans here and on JKO).

Regardless of what your opinion is from that site, I think that is clearly not the case on this forum. So I wondered why you would be at risk of being banned and asked. But like you said you're not here to dredge anything up...although you appeared to have done just that. :crazyeyes:

bbailey

Banned
My response was merely addressing your claim that I wasn't around in the JK-forum days...a point in which you are clearly wrong. But since you brought up the other stuff I'll bite.

In my experience people got/get banned for being douche bags and having an over inflated sense of self-worth and self-entitlement issues. Most of them went about spouting how they got banned for "only this" or "only that" blah blah blah. Then they run over to JKO and bragged how tough they are. Frankly I think it's sad that people's self-esteem is so low they need to have their internet buddies validate their actions (e.g. Dahreno's recent shenanigans here and on JKO).

Regardless of what your opinion is from that site, I think that is clearly not the case on this forum. So I wondered why you would be at risk of being banned and asked. But like you said you're not here to dredge anything up...although you appeared to have done just that. :crazyeyes:

Fair point and since I'm still here, I'll leave it at that.

(e.g. Dahreno's recent shenanigans here and on JKO)

I think the term you're looking for is asshat. And yes, I'd agree with that assessment.

Regardless of what your opinion is from that site, I think that is clearly not the case on this forum.

Yep, and I'm glad thats the case.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I forgot how nice the evo option was, yes expensive but doesn't seem to take away any room like some im sure do. I guess its 5k cuz it looks the closest to oem as you are going to get. Does anyone have the pic where the hard top is on? From what I remember it fits like a glove.

Just trying to get this tread back on track somewhat.

Where did you see a pic with a hard top? I missed that.

I'll leave it at that.

Promises, promises. ;)

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Where did you see a pic with a hard top? I missed that.

maybe I am thinking of this one, can keep digging

946246_10151699176198680_1961797463_n.jpg

946246_10151699176198680_1961797463_n.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Obviously it's not water under the bridge. I was on the jk forum from the beginning.

If you still do not know how to follow the rules this is not the place for you. Lucky for you it's a different forum with a different set of rules. Maybe these rules will be easier for you to follow.

Robar

The Enforcer
Obviously it's not water under the bridge. I was on the jk forum from the beginning.

If you still do not know how to follow the rules this is not the place for you. Lucky for you it's a different forum with a different set of rules. Maybe these rules will be easier for you to follow.

He would probably have to read them first. :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: Yeah, that's what happened - you were "banned for merely mentioning Poly Performance in a PM to another forum member prior them becoming a sponsor of that forum."

Not to get off topic but, I am the previous management and if you weren't welcome on my old forum, you're certainly not welcome here. Thanks for playing :standing wave:

Top Bottom