Final Blast of Advice!!!

theilkjam

What I've got:

2009 JKU Sahara

What I'm looking to do:

Get 5 new tires and maybe wheels. And a small lift kit if possible with my small budget.

I'm in central IL, I would never do any hardcore rock crawling. But I would love to go out west some day. I'll be doing mostly trail running. Creek crossings etc...

Budget: $2300

I've had the jeep for a year and it needs new tires.

Needing new tires has now turned this into a significantly larger project.

33" or 35"...

New wheels or not?

Budget boost or full lift kit?

It's starting to seem like 35's makes the project more serious and more expensive.

I would like to keep the stock wheels... I like how simple they look but I understand that they aren't exactly wide enough for big tires.

I'm currently thinking 33" tires with 15" wheels. And possibly a lift if needed.

I'm ready for any pictures and advice that you all have to offer. I'm pumped to get the ball rolling on this project! As soon as it's done maybe I'll hit the road down to TN and check out the dirt devil trails (I saw some cool YouTube videos)

Thanks in advance for any help!

darthmurdoch

My first step was to search Craigslist and local eBay. Try and find someone that has taken the tires and wheels off their Rubincon. The Rubicon tires make a big difference and you can usually find them relatively cheap.

theilkjam

It's even crossed my mind to not even lift it, to just get the biggest and most aggressive tire possible on the stock wheel. I've even read somewhere that I could put a 275/70/18 on my stock wheel. That's definitely an option

RjSkippy

Looking to do something similar here and move to 33s on my stock (DD but want don't want to fall too far behind on the trail either). There are a few threads going over tire size and what you may need to do. So far what I have gathered is that you are pretty good up to a 33 on stock with maybe some minor rubbing but if you are going 33 or more you will want to modify the front bumper for clearance issues. The budget boosts up to 2" seem pretty cheap too and will easily give you clearance for 35s (sans rubbing issues). It's late and I tired so hopefully I am not mis-stating anything! lol We'll see if this posts this time... again long day... :doh:

ClarksAdventures

Have you checked out discount tires promotion for vday? Up to $400 off. It's a pretty good deal.

On a side note, I'm ditching my rubicon tired next week. Only 10k on them(with probably another 30-40 left). I think they're a great tire. If you're interested we could talk price and shipping.

oscar.maur

I got a teraflex leveling kit, good year duratracs 285/70/17, and spydertrax 1.5 in spacers. All together it's about $1900-$2000. I love the setup I have, on my jku

Attachments

• 1423708885464.jpg
    1423708885464.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 183

theilkjam

I got a teraflex leveling kit, good year duratracs 285/70/17, and spydertrax 1.5 in spacers. All together it's about $1900-$2000. I love the setup I have, on my jku

Are those factory wheels? The guys at discount tire always tell me I can't put a bigger tire on my factory wheels due to width issues. But then I read on forums like this that people don't have any issues.

oscar.maur

Are those factory wheels? The guys at discount tire always tell me I can't put a bigger tire on my factory wheels due to width issues. But then I read on forums like this that people don't have any issues.

Yes they are. I did have rubbing without the wheel spacers at full turn but went away now that I have the spydertrax. I went to big o tires because they did it without question.

ClarksAdventures

I'm not sure how wide the Sahara rims are. My 2014rubicon is 7.5". They told me the 35x12.5r17 required an 8"+ rim. But the 315/70r17 only required 7. The tires are really close in size. That being said. I know plenty of people who have put the wider tire on stock rims and haven't had any problems.

I also find some people at the store are more knowledgable about jeeps than others. Ask for that guy, not the guy installing tires on the prius.

theilkjam

UPDATE: did some reading on another thread and now I'm curious about budget boosts compared to a value lift kit (like a rough country)

What are the actual differences? Can I still get some moderate off road usage out of a BB?

Knuckles76

Wave from chatham ill... im looking to either do 33s or 35s also ithink im going 35s though don't want to be disappointed with my purchase. I thought you could do 35s with slight rubbing at full turn then just trim fender flares

theilkjam

Wave from chatham ill... im looking to either do 33s or 35s also ithink im going 35s though don't want to be disappointed with my purchase. I thought you could do 35s with slight rubbing at full turn then just trim fender flares

Do you do any local trail riding?

chipper

This is a 35/12.5/17 on a factory wheel. Just added some 1 1/2" spacers. I also have a 3" lift but I wanted to show you that you can put bigger tires on the stock rim.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423918956.864927.jpg

Top Bottom