DIY RHD drag link flip kit

twoxstreem

This is probably the biggest handling improvement I have made to my Jk yet.

The basics of my original lift:

4 inch lift
4" drop pitman arm:grayno:
raised axle side track bar bracket
3" bumps stops
35" tires
Adjustable control arms all the way around.

Why:
I noticed after about 30,000 my steering box was working a little harder to turn the 35's when sitting stationary. After considering sector shaft kits I decided it would be better to eliminate the drop pitman arm as the first and best course of action.

The Plan:
Replace the aftermarket drop pitman and factory drag link with a stock pitman, RHD drag link, synergy tapered insert.

Parts:

Stock pitman Crown PN 52060056ac $33
RHD draglink Crown PN 52126058ad $42
Synergy insert 8001-03-01 $14
7/8 hardened drill bit $17

Total $106

I also added the fairly new to the market JK steering Attenuator in place of the stock drag link sleeve for $129. It caught my interest and I decided to give it a go even though I was thinking there was a 50/50 chance it was purely snake oil.

Installation:

With an impact wrench, 34MM socket (for pitman nut), other metric size 18-21MM sockets and wrenches, 15MM wrench, small ball joint puller from harbor freight and a drill w a 1/2 chuck, I was able to complete the install in about 2 hours on a lift. Pretty straight forward. The toughest part was drilling the knuckle, its a slow process and took about 20-30 min. letting the bit cool every few min and using plenty of oil. Hand cranking the Attenuator on wasn't fun but after 20 min of turning, the drag link was back to the correct length at about 39 - 3/4".

Result:

:thumb::thumb:After a week of driving, almost all (say 95%) of neg road feedback and steering wheel shaking/vibration when driving over bumps was almost entirely eliminated. The weird pull to the left that I have been trying to diagnose for a year is gone as well. My jk Drive's straight as an arrow.

Per the attenuator, I think it actually helps soften vibration and neg feed back to the steering wheel however, I am sure the flip kit is responsible for the majority of the improvement. It had a rubber "grone" upon initial installation when turning but that went away after about 1 day of driving.

Ultimately this mod. will drastically help driver fatigue on long road trips and make everyday driving a totally different experience.

If you don't have a raised track bar bracket, evo sells the entire flip kit including the brackets (minus the tools) and it is practically the same as what I sourced independently for a few more dollars.

Good luck.:beer:

Updated Photos after the install -

IMG_5994.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
it replaces the drag link adjuster and is supposed to counter the harsh steering by frequency tuning I think..or rubber absorbtion, something like that.

My buddy installed it on his TJ (his wife bought it as a gift) and it didn't make any noticeable difference.

twoxstreem

it looks like this. It is used on may different vehicles from the factory to keep road vibration from be transferred to the steering wheel. It's basically a steel can with a hard rubber insert inside. The drag link sleeve it replaces is located between the upper draglink end and the lower.

The manufacture claims they produce a product like this on some Chevy short wheelbase trucks from the factory. I figured why not try it. I haven't noticed any negative feeling from using it. I guess one drawback is that it could be one more part that could wear out some day but i have the original sleeve which I could always put back on.

attenuator_1_large.png

Attachments

• jeep-jk-attenuator.jpg
    jeep-jk-attenuator.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 204

twoxstreem

The jks links are in the factory location. The raised track bar bracket is a legacy piece from the original BDS.

Top Bottom