Performance cylinder heads??

I need to replace the heads on my jeep and found a place claiming to sell a performance cylinder head.

The site says "These come fully ported, new valve springs, new valves, fully machined and ready for installation."

It's about $400 more than OEM heads.

I feel like the 3.8 is basically a lost cause for "performance" upgrades.

Do you guys feel like it would be worth it?

Also any recommendations on a machine shop in SoCal or a solid place to buy new heads other than from MOPAR?

I'm so out of the loop here.

jeeeep

Hooked
I need to replace the heads on my jeep and found a place claiming to sell a performance cylinder head.

The site says "These come fully ported, new valve springs, new valves, fully machined and ready for installation."

It's about $400 more than OEM heads.

I feel like the 3.8 is basically a lost cause for "performance" upgrades.

Do you guys feel like it would be worth it?

Also any recommendations on a machine shop in SoCal or a solid place to buy new heads other than from MOPAR?

I'm so out of the loop here.

Are those from 505 Performance? since you have to replace the heads, it may be worth the cost - how much HP gain?

If you chose to have a machine shop rebuild them, make sure they have a good reputation and tell you everything they will do, IMO they should rebuild the entire head and replace everything on it.
a shoddy job will end up causing you more issues down the road.

Last edited:

thardy

Banned
Why not just have a machine shop freshen up your heads and do some porting while they're at it?

Viable option, as long as they're not cracked of course. The one problem I've found with getting head work done is that you really need to do your research on the machine shop. Its SO easy to get royally screwed in that situation.

Fridge81

Understandable on both replies. I guess I'm just used to knowing the (trustworthy) shops and machinists in my area who do good work and who to stay well away from. I guess I tend to take that for granted and assume everyone has easy choices in that department. My bad guys, my bad.

Wolf Man

I would just get the OEM Heads. This way you will have warranty, and you won't be buying somebody else's possible workmanship problems.

Top Bottom