Winch security?

rich67

Caught the Bug
So now that I slapped a winch on my bumper I started thinking..it's sure a ripe target for thieves. Is there something you can do to secure it to the bumper? I have seen some security bolts that look like a decent idea, but how effective are they, really? And are there stories of winches going missing when you park your Jeep in front of a hotel for the night on a trip? I'm thinking if I just muddy the hell out of mine and make it look like crap as fast as possible, it will not look interesting enough...:D

CastleRockJeep

Most winch "security" items just help keep people honest. Like it was mentioned you can weld it but then they will steal the bumper too. I did a factor 55 security bolt. Like I said it'll keep them honest or at least make them work for it.

darthmurdoch

Most winch "security" items just help keep people honest. Like it was mentioned you can weld it but then they will steal the bumper too. I did a factor 55 security bolt. Like I said it'll keep them honest or at least make them work for it.

Agree with completely. Most people who steal shit steal shit because they are too lazy to work and pay for it themselves. If they are too lazy to work then chances are they will be too lazy to work to steal your shit. Like the man said, just make them work for it.

Last edited:

Wardell

It is possible, but how much of a risk there is really depends on your kind of neighbourhood. If you live in a good area you're probably fine. If you live in a place that has a lot of shady characters, then you may be right to be a little more concerned.

I know people up here who have had winches and light bars stolen, and one of them even caught the guy who stole from him trying to sell his stuff on Facebook. Spare tires could also be lifted on you too if you don't have a security lug nut on them. And if you don't have a hood lock, there's the possibility that someone could pop it open and swipe your battery on you. There's even been cases of people stealing doors off Jeeps too. The Vineland Police in New Jersey recently put out a warning for Jeep owners about this, since there have been a rash of door thefts there lately.

The harder you can make it for someone to lift this stuff off your vehicle, the less likely it will get stolen. If you are concerned about this sort of thing, I'd get a security bolt as a bare minimum.

Last edited:

Siebermd

The quick and simple fix is a winch cover. Believe it or not, things that are out of site are out of mind. Thieves are easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Top Bottom