Bumpers...

el_chupo_

I got a Power Plant, and I need a place to keep it. I figured the front of the jeep made the most sense, so here we are.

A couple things I want:

Sunk/lowered winch mounting. I dont want the winch covering the grill.
Width - I like stubbys, but I like the bumper to be the width of the grill. The Evo 1/4 is just about perfect, if it had an extra 2-3" on each end.
I like stingers. The wife doesnt :grayno:. So I like winch bars that dont stick up too high. ;) In reality, I would like something that doesnt stick up past the hood, but anything lower than that I am down with.

The Evo Pro bumper has had my attention since I first saw pics on here,
10846341_10152918529831252_1193695330868308487_n.jpg

but the LOD Sig Shorty looks pretty good too.
Shorty-01.jpg

Also digging the Shrockworks

d_597.jpg

I am not opposed to "mid width" either, as the shrockworks leans that direction, but I dont want a full width, I dont like them with flat fenders very much

I am not sure if I need hi-lift jack points built into the bumper, though I like the idea. I also would like to keep factory fogs, but it isnt mandatory if everything else is perfect.

So, am I missing any to make a decision? Any particulars that I need to keep in mind? Is there a functional reason for one that barely goes outside the frame rails (a la 1/4 pounder)?

Thanks!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
The ability to crawl up to a rock, place your tire on it and crawl over it is the major advantage of stubby bumpers. The EVO 1/4 pounder gives you that and so does the new EVO bumper.

Havoc40

Just went through this dilemma as I was ordering a bumper and winch. For a recessed winch bumper I loved the look of LoD's shorty. I've been wanting one of those and a Powerplant on my "dream" Jeep long before owning one. Until a buddy bought one that also has a Powerplant. They stick out a mile and it killed it for me. He actually just sold it for the EVO pro. While it still sticks out a decent amount, it seemed like the overall profile was a little smaller than the LoD. I didn't pull a tape measure on it though...

Nothing against LoD, as I'm ordering their rear bumper tomorrow. I finally decided a PSC Brawler Lite and a Zeon was better for me. Purely from a form over function point of view.

el_chupo_

The ability to crawl up to a rock, place your tire on it and crawl over it is the major advantage of stubby bumpers. The EVO 1/4 pounder gives you that and so does the new EVO bumper.

Thanks Frank - I got you on this, but is there any difference in something like the 1/4 pounder vs something a bit wider, like the LOD or Shrockworks, which are both a little wider, but still leave the all or the large majority of the tire able to go right up to/on the obstacle.

Havoc - the bumper sticking out has caught my eye on a couple pics, and I may focus on aesthetics once I narrow things down a bit more.

Was the LOD really enough to say "wow thats out a ways", or did you just happen to notice? I know Will (Canvas) has a LOD and is local, if I go that way I will have to bug him to check it out.

Last edited:

Havoc40

It stuck out enough for me to go against what I thought my heart was set on.

I guess maybe because this was on a BB lift and 33's. It might not look so far out of place on something higher and running 35's or 37's.

MarkW13

Thanks Frank - I got you on this, but is there any difference in something like the 1/4 pounder vs something a bit wider, like the LOD or Shrockworks, which are both a little wider, but still leave the all or the large majority of the tire able to go right up to/on the obstacle.

Havoc - the bumper sticking out has caught my eye on a couple pics, and I may focus on aesthetics once I narrow things down a bit more.

Was the LOD really enough to say "wow thats out a ways", or did you just happen to notice? I know Will (Canvas) has a LOD and is local, if I go that way I will have to bug him to check it out.

View attachment 124281
Here is the lod mid on mine. Got it from 2013rubirick. Looks like he cut it to fit 37's and he sold it to get 40's. I like the look and a little extra protection up front. If you are ever going bigger than 37's, you may want to stick with the stubby.

Napalm

Thanks Napalm. My opinion on it from the first post has not changed, as much as I like it in general.

I have to say I do really like the Pro Series. It just came a little too late and I like having a stinger simply because people give me strange looks and wonder what it is for.

Armydog

I have to say I do really like the Pro Series. It just came a little too late and I like having a stinger simply because people give me strange looks and wonder what it is for.

^^^^^^^^this is EXACTLY I need a stinger!!!:thumb::thumb:

el_chupo_

All good bumpers from the sound of it, but I really am narrowing in on the Evo Pro and the LOD Stubby.

And I really do like a stinger, but that winch hoop on the the Pro has me considering pretty strong.

Oh yeah, the wife hates a stinger 3 days ago. Today, she doesnt care. :crazyeyes:
Why do I bother asking?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I run the Full Metal Fabworks Apex Pinnacle. I am not sure how far up the Powerplant would stick up, but its pretty much what you described. I almost bought the ACE stubby with bull bar before I found this one. If I didn't care about not being able to run the factory fog lights, I would personally go with the new EVO Pro bumper. Good luck on your search!

Here a few pics of the FMF
SAM_0888.jpg
SAM_0891.jpg
SAM_0965.jpg

Top Bottom