ESC issues....

Has anyone had their non-Rubicon JK reflashed or programmed with a different ESC algorithm?

Why I ask:
The last trip to Rausch Creek was a great time, but Alana (my wife) was plagued with the ESC kicking in and either killing the engine all together or applying the brakes to a point that she couldn’t move.

This was our first wheeling trip with a non-Rubicon, and while her Jeep is locked front and rear (technically the rear locker isn’t working so jus the front) The locker seemed to offer no advantage. You see, every time a tire would start to slip the ESC would pulse the brakes and stop the whole axle from turning. Many time this resulted in a stall.

I have never had this issue with my 4-door, but it got us wondering if it was because the Rubicon knows it has lockers and how to properly account for them with the ESC. If this is the case it seems a Rubicon flash in a non-Rubicon would be a nice fix.

Info:
Her Jeep is a 11’ JK
Yes we were in 4-Lo
Yes it said the ESC was off (but is SOOO obviously was not)
I am aware of the song and dance that supposedly turns the ESC off, but haven't tried it yet.

mattfl

Has anyone had their non-Rubicon JK reflashed or programmed with a different ESC algorithm?

Why I ask:
The last trip to Rausch Creek was a great time, but Alana (my wife) was plagued with the ESC kicking in and either killing the engine all together or applying the brakes to a point that she couldn’t move.

This was our first wheeling trip with a non-Rubicon, and while her Jeep is locked front and rear (technically the rear locker isn’t working so jus the front) The locker seemed to offer no advantage. You see, every time a tire would start to slip the ESC would pulse the brakes and stop the whole axle from turning. Many time this resulted in a stall.

I have never had this issue with my 4-door, but it got us wondering if it was because the Rubicon knows it has lockers and how to properly account for them with the ESC. If this is the case it seems a Rubicon flash in a non-Rubicon would be a nice fix.

Info:
Her Jeep is a 11’ JK
Yes we were in 4-Lo
Yes it said the ESC was off (but is SOOO obviously was not)
I am aware of the song and dance that supposedly turns the ESC off, but haven't tried it yet.

ESC should turn itself off completely when she's in 4lo or 4hi no?

I use a kill switch to disable the ESP traction control and ABS. When I'm off-road.

x2 on the switch to truly disable it or to permanently disable it, the steering wheel dance

Yea, this is what we are planning to try once we have it back together.

I was amazed how much of a pain in the rear this was. I've read threads on the disabling of the ESC but couldn’t understand what all the hubbub was about. (Again, it’s never been an issue on our Rubi.) I totally get it now! It’s got to go!!!

CedarRaider

I totally get it now! It’s got to go!!![/QUOTE]

My first time to the dunes with the new jeep I was having a hard time climbing the hills and almost lost faith till I put the switch in.

Wethy

i pulled the J6 fuse in my jeep it is much better to drive now. with the snow we get up here the traction kicks on all the time. its much nicer to not have to drive with it. although on road you will lose cruise as well. i noticed that the other day

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
i pulled the J6 fuse in my jeep it is much better to drive now. with the snow we get up here the traction kicks on all the time. its much nicer to not have to drive with it. although on road you will lose cruise as well. i noticed that the other day

Anytime you have a light on on the dash you lose cruise control.

Top Bottom