Is RCV feeding me BS?

We twisted both RCV shafts this last weekend. And when we removed them I noticed the CV feels like ShiPooPoo. (They have around 5k miles on them and this was their first wheeling venture.)

Called RCV this AM to discuss warranty and they are claiming the twist is normal and okay. “They are designed to twist up to 110 degrees and not break.” So they are not accepting a claim on them. They also claim the CV is considered normal wear. Really, 5k miles is all you get?

In fairness, I haven’t cleaned the CV and looked to see what is making them rough, but I’m not happy to be dumping more money into rebuild kits for an already very expensive shaft set.

RCV did offer a “deal” to upgrade to the 300M shafts as a replacement, but the last thing I want to do is put an even stronger shaft on a D30 much less dump more $ into the turd axle.

My big concern is I am regearing so the carrier will be getting reshimmed. Even if the twist is “okay” I’m worried it will prevent them from seating properly in the carrier’s new place.

No matter how you look at it tt seems there are some questions in the “no question’s asked” warranty….

Has anyone else had their shafts twist? Are the still okay? Are they selling me a line of BS?

IMG_20150212_190443686.jpg
IMG_20150212_190518669.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I cant help ob the issue. But I do feel bad for you and all the problems youve been having with your second jeep. I hope you are able to get it fixed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WTF?? Really?? What a load of BS!!

It's great that your shaft twisted and didn't break on the trail but honestly, once it gets to this point, it's time to be replaced. If you don't, the next time you go out and put it under enough stress to twist it again - IT WILL BREAK and at a really bad place. A break here can take out your locker and do damage to your carrier bearings and even axle housing. IF it's on the stub shaft, you'll still run the risk of taking out your ball joints. When I inspect my shafts - IF I see this, it's time for a replacement.

What good is a lifetime warranty if the company who offers it won't even honor it. Guess they'd rather have you break everything else in your axle before they give you new shafts that you can't even use. :naw:

WTF?? Really?? What a load of BS!!

It's great that your shaft twisted and didn't break on the trail but honestly, once it gets to this point, it's time to be replaced. If you don't, the next time you go out and put it under enough stress to twist it again - IT WILL BREAK and at a really bad place. A break here can take out your locker and do damage to your carrier bearings and even axle housing. IF it's on the stub shaft, you'll still run the risk of taking out your ball joints. When I inspect my shafts - IF I see this, it's time for a replacement.

What good is a lifetime warranty if the company who offers it won't even honor it. Guess they'd rather have you break everything else in your axle before they give you new shafts that you can't even use. :naw:

This is EXACTLY how I feel... I was just looking for a reality check. They actually said… “Once it breaks, we will replace it.”

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
We twisted both RCV shafts this last weekend. And when we removed them I noticed the CV feels like ShiPooPoo. (They have around 5k miles on them and this was their first wheeling venture.)

Called RCV this AM to discuss warranty and they are claiming the twist is normal and okay. “They are designed to twist up to 110 degrees and not break.” So they are not accepting a claim on them. They also claim the CV is considered normal wear. Really, 5k miles is all you get?

In fairness, I haven’t cleaned the CV and looked to see what is making them rough, but I’m not happy to be dumping more money into rebuild kits for an already very expensive shaft set.

RCV did offer a “deal” to upgrade to the 300M shafts as a replacement, but the last thing I want to do is put an even stronger shaft on a D30 much less dump more $ into the turd axle.

My big concern is I am regearing so the carrier will be getting reshimmed. Even if the twist is “okay” I’m worried it will prevent them from seating properly in the carrier’s new place.

No matter how you look at it tt seems there are some questions in the “no question’s asked” warranty….

Has anyone else had their shafts twist? Are the still okay? Are they selling me a line of BS?

View attachment 124329
View attachment 124330
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423850078.425958.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
This is EXACTLY how I feel... I was just looking for a reality check. They actually said… “Once it breaks, we will replace it.”

Who did you buy it from? I would be raising hell. Are they going to pay when it breaks your locker ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, that is just BULLSHIT!! I've run RCV's in the past and only recommended against them because of their significantly higher price but now, I think I have a new reason not to recommend them. :naw:

thardy

Banned
I wonder if you could call and try to talk to someone else and see if you get a different result. Hell, it could have been someone that just didn't want to mess with filling out the claims paperwork.

Either way, it's complete bullshit and not what you expect when you spend that kind of money on a part.

Who did you buy it from? I would be raising hell. Are they going to pay when it breaks your locker ?

They were purchased through Northridge (but this isn't really their issue IMO).

Honestly, that is just BULLSHIT!! I've run RCV's in the past and only recommended against them because of their significantly higher price but now, I think I have a new reason not to recommend them. :naw:

RIGHT! :yup: The ONLY advantage I saw in these was the warranty and "last set of shafts you ever need".

BTW this was done with 35" AT tires.

I wonder if you could call and try to talk to someone else and see if you get a different result. Hell, it could have been someone that just didn't want to mess with filling out the claims paperwork.

Either way, it's complete bullshit and not what you expect when you spend that kind of money on a part.

Unfortunately we did.... Two people, same response.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I do recall NR saying that was the weak spot on these d30 shafts, right at the splines. Feel bad for you, really sucks when rcv won't honor their lifetime guarantee.

I think what has surprised me the most is that this happened before my cheap-ass greasable 1310 drive shaft joint gave up... It tells me this happened with a relatively low torque.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They were purchased through Northridge (but this isn't really their issue IMO).

They would tell you that you need to contact RCV anyway as they are the ones offering the so called "warranty" :naw:

RIGHT! :yup: The ONLY advantage I saw in these was the warranty and "last set of shafts you ever need".

BTW this was done with 35" AT tires.

I don't doubt it. As I always say, RCV's really do have stupid strong joints and WHEN it breaks, it'll be at the shaft or on your ring and pinion. Yet another reason why I prefer running shafts with u-joints even on my ProRock 60.

I do recall NR saying that was the weak spot on these d30 shafts, right at the splines. Feel bad for you, really sucks when rcv won't honor their lifetime guarantee.

Well, at least they acknowledge as much. Can't blame a vendor for selling people shit they really want to buy.

I think what has surprised me the most is that this happened before my cheap-ass greasable 1310 drive shaft joint gave up... It tells me this happened with a relatively low torque.

So for those following this thread, the D30 RCV shafts can not handle ~1500 lb/ft of torque (greasable 1310 u-joint elastic limit) without twisting badly.

They have a harder "300M" material that is more expensive that may help this. :idontknow:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
They would tell you that you need to contact RCV anyway as they are the ones offering the so called "warranty" :naw:

FWIW, I have always had good luck contacting NR with warranty issues. I give them all of the pertinent information and they work it out with the vendor.

I actually was just working with them earlier this week with an issue with one of my JW Speaker fog lights. The adjustment bushing appears to be worn out allowing the light assembly to shake and NR worked it out with JW to ship me a new bushing. Granted, this isn't a multi hundred dollar part, but they have always taken good care of me.

To the OP... YMMV... Sorry to hear about the shafts and good luck!

I just found this:

www.rcvperformance.compdfrcv_jeep_catalog.png

If I understand it correctly, it is showing that even low torque will result in twisting... It appears to support that the twisting will continue for up to 100 degrees before failure. If the chart is right it will require ~7500 lb/ft to twist the shaft this far.

My problem is the material is not elastic... so will 5 (1500 lb/ft) loads break it :idontknow:

What I do know is new shafts are not twisted, so there is no denying the ones I have are damaged. RCV really needs to be more clear on their "no questions asked warranty" being for failure and not damage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So for those following this thread, the D30 RCV shafts can not handle ~1500 lb/ft of torque (greasable 1310 u-joint elastic limit) without twisting badly.

They have a harder "300M" material that is more expensive that may help this. :idontknow:

Will the more expensive option at least come with a no BS warranty? :naw:

FWIW, I have always had good luck contacting NR with warranty issues. I give them all of the pertinent information and they work it out with the vendor.

I actually was just working with them earlier this week with an issue with one of my JW Speaker fog lights. The adjustment bushing appears to be worn out allowing the light assembly to shake and NR worked it out with JW to ship me a new bushing. Granted, this isn't a multi hundred dollar part, but they have always taken good care of me.

Fair enough. Maybe a call to NR should be in order. Maybe they'll get a different answer than the 2 the OP got from RCV.

I just found this:

View attachment 124348

If I understand it correctly, it is showing that even low torque will result in twisting... It appears to support that the twisting will continue for up to 100 degrees before failure. If the chart is right it will require ~7500 lb/ft to twist the shaft this far.

My problem is the material is not elastic... so will 5 (1500 lb/ft) loads break it :idontknow:

What I do know is new shafts are not twisted, so there is no denying the ones I have are damaged. RCV really needs to be more clear on their "no questions asked warranty" being for failure and not damage.

The sad truth is, if you're going to be playing hard enough to twist a shaft like this, you really need to be running bigger axles that have BIGGER shafts, more splines and even bigger a ring and pinion. What's annoying is that companies like this try to push off their expensive axle shafts as being some kind of alternative solution that is just as good. Hell, they'll even offer up a so called "lifetime warranty" like it should mean something. Of course, once the axle shaft starts to fail, they'll ONLY warranty it AFTER it completely breaks and jacks up the rest of your axle. The whole thing is just so frustrating to hear.

Will the more expensive option at least come with a no BS warranty? :naw:

:cheesy: I have no plans to go with this (the STD RCVs are a tough pill to swallow) but trying to keep things factual and all on the table.

The sad truth is, if you're going to be playing hard enough to twist a shaft like this, you really need to be running bigger axles that have BIGGER shafts, more splines and even bigger a ring and pinion. What's annoying is that companies like this try to push off their expensive axle shafts as being some kind of alternative solution that is just as good. Hell, they'll even offer up a so called "lifetime warranty" like it should mean something. Of course, once the axle shaft starts to fail, they'll ONLY warranty it AFTER it completely breaks and jacks up the rest of your axle. The whole thing is just so frustrating to hear.

I know this and agree with you completely. Our purpose for this Jeep wasn't to wheel hard. But Alana wanted to play with her Lil-Punkin'. I would do anything for my lady, and she isn't one to back down from a challenge. I accept that when you play you need to be prepared to pay. The reason I liked (and like) the CV shafts is actually for 4-HI driving on snow covered roads. While Alana has never used it, I like the ability to drive in 4-Hi with mixed road conditions and have no binding.

I would not recommnd that ANYONE "build" a D30.

jeeeep

Hooked
Wow! that really sucks, so much for "no questions asked", I wonder if you filed a complaint with their area BBB and Consumer Affairs Office if that would help them reassess their answer...

On another note, glad I talked my buddy out of getting RCV's, I'm going to show him this thread as proof that just because they market them as "stronger" doesn't mean better.

Top Bottom