C gussets

tobias lopez

What's up wol fam. Quick question is it worth getting the "C" reenforced on a Dana 30? I'm running 35" on a 4.5 lift.

I am saving for a pr44 just not sure if I wanna waste money on the Dana 30.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yes. It is worth it. It's the only thing you should do to the 30. (Maybe regear it as well)

Wolf Man

Yep, upper C gusset minimum.
While you are in there, I would upgrade the Ball Joints to a HD Grease-able type!:thumb:

Wolf Man

Just the uppers? I didn't know anyone sold just uppers. I would gusset both upper and lower C's though.

My experience has been, that the upper is the weakest link. Most that I run with only gusset uppers!
But yes agree, doing both would even be better!:thumb:

K.D.C.H

Most that I run with only gusset uppers!

If they're already welding on the uppers why not the lowers, doesn't take but a couple more minutes of work. I would say the more strength you can have on a Jeep the better

So do the people you run with just throw the lowers away?

Wolf Man

O.K., I will try to clarify.
If most of your usage is going to be on highway, which a high percent are, then a lot of reinforcement is not justified.
In this case, running 35's, the minimum (which I stated in my original post) is upper C gussets and Hd grease-able Ball Joints. Some don't even do this, so it is a choice!

But if your primary usage is off road, let's say Rock Crawl. Plus depending on your driving experience and skills, then a lot more MOD maybe needed.
Like upper and lower C gussets, HD grease-able Ball Joints, a Truss and upgraded steering linkage. I wouldn't use Chrome Moly shafts, because your weak Link is already your R&P. Better to brake a shaft, verses blow the carrier!

I know of a experienced rock crawler, that is easy on the foot, and doesn't have any beefed up Mods, plus he runs heavy Nitto 35's, without any issues.

Yet, you can take a driver with little to no experience, he is heavy on the foot, gets it bouncing and shock loads the hell out of it. Well he needs ever beefed up MOD available, and will probably still blow the weak link Dana 30 R&P.

I will be more specific in the future when I Post and will specify the type of usage.

Thank you for taking the time to read this clarification!:thumb:

K.D.C.H

If most of your usage is going to be on highway, which a high percent are, then a lot of reinforcement is not justified.
In this case, running 35's, the minimum (which I stated in my original post) is upper C gussets and Hd grease-able Ball Joints. Some don't even do this, so it is a choice!

But if your primary usage is off road, let's say Rock Crawl. Plus depending on your driving experience and skills, then a lot more MOD maybe needed.
Like upper and lower C gussets, HD grease-able Ball Joints, a Truss and upgraded steering linkage. I wouldn't use Chrome Moly shafts, because your weak Link is already your R&P. Better to brake a shaft, verses blow the carrier!

I know of a experienced rock crawler, that is easy on the foot, and doesn't have any beefed up Mods, plus he runs heavy Nitto 35's, without any issues.

Yet, you can take a driver with little to no experience, he is heavy on the foot, gets it bouncing and shock loads the hell out of it. Well he needs ever beefed up MOD available, and will probably still blow the weak link Dana 30 R&P.

I will be more specific in the future when I Post and will specify the type of usage.

I can't speak for OverlanderJK but I don't think it was a question of driving on/off road or being heavy or light on the gas.

The companies who sell the gussets sell both top an bottom for a reason. If you strengthen just the top and make it stronger the flex of the C doesn't just go away. The flex will always transfer to the weaker area, in this case it will all be going to the lower now instead of being spread out between both upper and lower.

Even if the driver is gentle in the gas and uses it mostly as a daily driver they put the gussets on for a reason, most likely because they wanted to extra security in the event they need it.

A good company will design these gussets (and any part for that matter) with some kind of CAD design software and conduct a strength and stress test analysis program on them. All I'd say is that if the lower wasn't an integral part of the design it would most likely not be included or at the very least be an added option.

It just surprised me is all when you said that only the upper was being used when it takes so little effort to install the lower at the same time

Either way it's your Jeep, happy trails fellow WAL'er

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You really have no clue what you're talking about do you?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

So you recommend a truss, but skip the chromoly shafts? Interesting...

Wolf Man

It's obvious on this Forum, that your Administrator is very knowledgeable, when it comes to Wranglers. He is also very professional! And this is great!
But it is also very obvious that, this is where the knowledge and professionalism starts and ends! Very sad.:yup:

I picked this Forum because it was smaller, and I thought that just maybe, you would welcome some outside experience and help. But I was very wrong!

It is also very obvious, that new knowledge coming in is perceived as a threat, rather than opinions being discussed in a professional way. So it is better to try and belittle the new member, and make him look stupid. Well I guess that this is what makes you happy!!!! Just maybe this has some impact on why this Forum is still small, verses others.

O.K.,I am gone and that will make you all feel safe, plus you can now smile from ear to ear, because you accomplished you goal of chasing another one off.

Hopefully in the future, you will at least think about what I have said, and Welcome new members in a professional manner. If not, well then it is your lose, and not mine!

Seriously, I wish you all the very best, and hope that you will start to act more in a mature manner.

Admin, please pull my username, and thank you for your original Welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom