Question/ Possible problem with Transfer case

Tree Frog

So please bear with me, I know I will be called a newbie and that is fine.
These new fangled electronic controlled whiz bang Jeeps are way smarter than me but...

Vehicle: 2013 JKUR Auto with stock drivetrain.

Problem: In 4 Lo, Both front and rear lockers on. Climbing a pretty steep hill in very deep sand (Sand Dunes) I just could not make it. Began to sink, so to avoid the dreaded long dig out, I knew better and stopped.
Upon shifting into Reverse it was as if my transfer case was in Neutral. I just sat there as the engine revved up. I let off right away and double checked that in fact the transfer case was engaged all the way in. It was. I shifted into Neutral and back into Reverse and again it just sat there. I let off again and waited a second as I motioned to my spotter a WTF look.
After a few seconds I could feel the drivetrain engage and I was able to then back down under power. It was not going anywhere without power as I was about half buried up.

Again I tried to climb this hill with a bit more of a run and again same results. (Dang it) Upon shifting into Reverse it was the same story. It really acted like I was in Neutral.
I stopped and shifted the tranny into Neutral and then back into reverse and again the same long delay going into Reverse occurred.

This same stupid problem cropped up many times today. However everything else seems to be working fine.
I was in deep sand in 4 Lo with both lockers on and it pulled great. (You were NOT moving this beast without being locked in)

Is this "Delay" between Drive and Reverse normal? I have read the owners manual and can find nothing on this.

Thank you in advance for any help or advise you can give.

ClarksAdventures

I've had rare occasional problems with it not wanting to shift into reverse. But it's never been a consistent thing.

I do know that you're not really suppose to be traveling fast with your lockers on, or in 4lo for that matter. I think the manual suggests not more than 15mph-ish. If you were having a run at a hill doing more than that, could that have been your problem?

Tree Frog

First few attempts at this hill were pretty low speed as it went up kinda steep with a sharp break over and no view of the other side. (reason to deploy a spotter)
After several attempts and only digging in deeper, I did try a bit faster run, but really don't think I was anywhere near 15 MPH.

As soon as the forward momentum was lost the Jeep would just come to a stop quickly. I was at a complete stop before shifting into Neutral and then into Reverse.

You know thinking about it I can not remember putting my foot on the brake. I did not have to because as soon as it stopped going up I was about half sunk into the sand.
Wonder if that has anything to do with it? :idontknow:

hydrohut

Are you sure what you were experiencing wasn't just the hill start assist working? When you stop on a hill like that, with your foot on the brake, even when you take your foot off the brake pedal the hill assist will hold the brakes on for around three seconds, then it will automatically speed up the idle a little and release the brakes so you can accelerate away without using the handbrake. It can be a bit confusing when this first happens. Just thinking that may be it? Even with lockers on, on a steep hill and in deep sand Im not surprised maybe it couldn't get up.

Top Bottom