2014 JKUR with DTC P0461

NV375

Anyone know what could cause a P0461 - Fuel Level Sensor 1 Performance DTC?

The check engine light came on while pulling a grade on the way home tonight. I used the key method and only the one code came up.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I hope it's an easy fix. Perhaps change in altitude coupled with maybe your Fuel level and angle in the tank made you pop the code. Clear it and see if it comes back on.

Remlap

Kind of related, we have a 14' as well and keep getting a P0306 code when pulling grades - right at 4500 RPM it flashes and if I let off it quits, if I stay on it light goes steady and get that code.

Dealer can't find anything of course, but ours is a misfire in Cylinder 6.

Could these both be Head related like in the 2012's?

jeeeep

Hooked
Anyone know what could cause a P0461 - Fuel Level Sensor 1 Performance DTC?

The check engine light came on while pulling a grade on the way home tonight. I used the key method and only the one code came up.

I know this...sort of, my neighbor's Chrysler minivan had this code and there is a TSB (may be only for the minivan??) dealership replace the fuel float/sensor assembly under warranty, he got it taken care of a few weeks ago. Only reason I know about it he came over and asked me if I had received the TSB.

You should take it to the dealer and ask.

jeeeep

Hooked
Kind of related, we have a 14' as well and keep getting a P0306 code when pulling grades - right at 4500 RPM it flashes and if I let off it quits, if I stay on it light goes steady and get that code.

surprised they can't find anything...did they replace any parts? coil, plug wire, spark plug, injector, injector harness??? If they did a full trouble shoot they should have replaced parts, at minimum the spark plug on that cylinder. If all they did was stick a diagnostics reader on it when it was reading okay well.... I'd take it back and make them start doing a real troubleshoot.

Remlap

Please disregard, saw pulling grades and check engine and thought they might be related, probably not after re-reading your code, sorry to go off topic.

Remlap

surprised they can't find anything...did they replace any parts? coil, plug wire, spark plug, injector, injector harness??? If they did a full trouble shoot they should have replaced parts, at minimum the spark plug on that cylinder. If all they did was stick a diagnostics reader on it when it was reading okay well.... I'd take it back and make them start doing a real troubleshoot.

Thanks for the response, didn't want to derail the OP's thread though - they switched plugs around I think to see if problem moves and did a compression check.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for the response, didn't want to derail the OP's thread though - they switched plugs around I think to see if problem moves and did a compression check.

their next check will probably be the coil then the injector/harness. only reason I know is my neighbor is going through the same issues on his 3.6 minivan. I keep working him to let me do an engine swap since my 3.8 hasn't had those issues :cheesy:

Skid_Kid

Sounds like a short in the harness, loose connection or a bad sensor. This is in your fuel tank, not a harness or sensor on or near the engine.

From the interwebs....

The fuel level sensor is mounted in the fuel level sensor unit. The sensor detects a fuel level in the fuel tank and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The fuel level sensor consists of two parts, one is mechanical float and the other side is variable resistor. The fuel level sensor output voltage changes depending on the movement of the fuel mechanical float.

NV375

Sounds like a short in the harness, loose connection or a bad sensor. This is in your fuel tank, not a harness or sensor on or near the engine.

From the interwebs....

The fuel level sensor is mounted in the fuel level sensor unit. The sensor detects a fuel level in the fuel tank and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The fuel level sensor consists of two parts, one is mechanical float and the other side is variable resistor. The fuel level sensor output voltage changes depending on the movement of the fuel mechanical float.

Thanks Skid_Kid.

I gave up last night and was planning to do more research today. A coworker's car died on that same pass with a fuel problem. I pulled my code while waiting for them to get in my jeep. One thing I did different this time than the last time I checked codes was recorded a video of the display. Last time I did not write fast enough and missed some codes.

NV375

I picked up the jeep from the dealer today. They couldn't find a problem with my cooling system and cleared the code. Yes they had the same code as I did and insist it is a cooling system code?

shoeless

I had the same fuel sensor code once about 4,000 miles ago. Cleared it and it has not come back. Mine came on a downhill trail........

Top Bottom