new lift concerns

2country

hi to all. this is my first post. picked up my new JK sport 2 door ( 1st Wrangler) last Fri. Installed a Rubicon Express spring coil 2.5" lift kit (no shocks) on Tues. Looks great but ride is horrible; a lot of body roll, feeling every bump in the road x 10, etc. wondering if factory shocks cannot support the add'l height or maybe something else? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I've got to do something soon.

StrizzyChris

not having long enough shocks wont effect your feel when you hit a bump, it will however limit your down travel though. You will want a set of shocks that match your bumpstp extensions for a 2.5" lift.

usually when a lift is installed, and the ride is harsh, it is due to the coils being more firm than stock (teraflex and Rubicon Express are known for this). Also a 2.5" lift on a 2 door is very common for lifting a jeep up to 3.5" to 4" over stock. You may need to adjust your castor with front lower control arms and consider a new front driveshaft.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Lots of body roll sounds like track bars, not sure what was used to fix that. and feeling every bump might be bump steer.

Last edited:

2country

not having long enough shocks wont effect your feel when you hit a bump, it will however limit your down travel though. You will want a set of shocks that match your bumpstp extensions for a 2.5" lift.

usually when a lift is installed, and the ride is harsh, it is due to the coils being more firm than stock (teraflex and Rubicon Express are known for this). Also a 2.5" lift on a 2 door is very common for lifting a jeep up to 3.5" to 4" over stock. You may need to adjust your castor with front lower control arms and consider a new front driveshaft.

would you start by replacing shocks and if so, do you prefer one brand over another? lots to choose from out there. thanks for the input.

Ah2014jk

The feeling very bump as mentioned is probably bump steer. One thing to mention is that the rubi express has one set of sway bar extended connectors. If they were put on the back and the stock ones where left on the front, they are way to short. I had a similar problem and ended up putting the ones in the kit on the front and left the longer rear alone ( which are still way to short ). Once my sway bar was back to parallel it rode much better. Also that kit doesn't have a front track bar relocation method. Lastly if you want shocks the rubicon express ones are painted bilstiens and less money.

trailless

Caught the Bug
would you start by replacing shocks and if so, do you prefer one brand over another? lots to choose from out there. thanks for the input.

I think strizzy saying that the coils are going to be the main reason your ride is harsh. If at all possible, maybe get softer coils. :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

I guess we should clarify a few things first...

When you are talking about "body roll" do you mean that you feel top heavy when going around turns?

When you say that you have a horrible ride, when hitting bumps, do you mean that its a rough ride, or that the bumps throw your Jeep or steering in a direction?

Lastly, do you know the name/model of the exact RE lift kit you are running?

Last edited:

If by harsh ride and feeling bumps in the road x10, you mean every little bump rattles your teeth, then it is most likely your springs. While shocks are a factor in your ride, stiff springs dont really allow shocks to do much of their job.

olram30

I guess we should clarify a few things first...

When you are talking about "body roll" do you mean that you feel top heavy when going around turns?

When you say that you have a horrible ride, when hitting bumps, do you mean that its a rough ride, or that the bumps through your Jeep or steering in a direction?

Lastly, do you know the name/model of the exact RE lift kit you are running?

I agree, without knowing what components this kit included hard to tell.

Ah2014jk

The RE kit just has 4 springs a rear frame side track bar bracket one pair extended sway bar links and bump stop

olram30

The RE kit just has 4 springs a rear frame side track bar bracket one pair extended sway bar links and bump stop

Frame side brackets don't help body roll, almost makes it worse.
Sounds like more components are needed to fix stuff. Caster correction and other issues

Ah2014jk

Frame side brackets don't help body roll, almost makes it worse.
Sounds like more components are needed to fix stuff. Caster correction and other issues

Agreed. Having run this kit ( without adding the track bar bracket as they are fairly useless ) I have the rubi ( bilstien ) shocks and an adj front track bar. The first step I would do is make sure my track bar was parallel as when mine was out it rode weird 😉

Last edited:

jkuone

hi to all. this is my first post. picked up my new JK sport 2 door ( 1st Wrangler) last Fri. Installed a Rubicon Express spring coil 2.5" lift kit (no shocks) on Tues. Looks great but ride is horrible; a lot of body roll, feeling every bump in the road x 10, etc. wondering if factory shocks cannot support the add'l height or maybe something else? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I've got to do something soon.

As mentioned by some, you prob got more than 21/2" of lift from the kit. RE lifts leave a lot to be desired.
You need to get some decent shocks that will help I've heard good things on Rancho 9000xl's. Axle side raised trackbar mounts prob wouldn't hurt ( body Roll ) to address Castor either Rancho or AEV Geo correction brackets
If you can't afford Adj control arms. Did the kit come with longer sway bar links ?. These are just some suggestions...

Top Bottom