Aluminum bumpers vs Steel

Spartan

Finally got a Jeep again a 2015 JKU Rubicon and now I'm looking for options and experience with Aluminum bumpers vs Steel. I try to go down to Moan at least once, and will also be doing some trails in ID,CO, and CA. My Jeep is also my daily driver.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Aluminum pros are they are lighter, and they don't rust. All the other pros go to steel (stronger, cheaper, etc.)

Finally got a Jeep again a 2015 JKU Rubicon and now I'm looking for options and experience with Aluminum bumpers vs Steel. I try to go down to Moan at least once, and will also be doing some trails in ID,CO, and CA. My Jeep is also my daily driver.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.
Love this question - it's a chance for a Jeeper to really get involved in an important build decision.

Aluminum vs steel is a major gut check. You either know going in aluminum is right for you or you really want steel but are curious about aluminum. Aluminum offers massive weight savings, won't rust if exposed to the elements, and for lighter duty off road use may just be a perfect fit. It does cost more but for some wheelers the value is certainly there.

Steel is what we all grew up with. Our dads all ran it on their CJ's and it's an option that's been proven for decades. That's what makes aluminum vs steel a gut check. If you're going to sleep better at night knowing you've selected steel, then there's your answer. Steel normally costs less anyways. It does weight significantly more, but with that added weight comes durability. Our steel armor line is a mix of 3/16" and 1/4" thick steel - which can get you through any trail Nature lays before you.

James just built his mom the blue Rubicon you see in our install videos and covered it in our aluminum armor. Now our aluminum bumpers and skid plates are 1/4" thick, but that's their key. We know based on her driving style in Moab (you bet she wheels with the boys) and daily driving in Nebraska that aluminum will work just fine for her, be safe, and obviously keep some weight off the Jeep.

jeeeep

Hooked
Love this question - it's a chance for a Jeeper to really get involved in an important build decision.

Aluminum vs steel is a major gut check. You either know going in aluminum is right for you or you really want steel but are curious about aluminum. Aluminum offers massive weight savings, won't rust if exposed to the elements, and for lighter duty off road use may just be a perfect fit. It does cost more but for some wheelers the value is certainly there.

Steel is what we all grew up with. Our dads all ran it on their CJ's and it's an option that's been proven for decades. That's what makes aluminum vs steel a gut check. If you're going to sleep better at night knowing you've selected steel, then there's your answer. Steel normally costs less anyways. It does weight significantly more, but with that added weight comes durability. Our steel armor line is a mix of 3/16" and 1/4" thick steel - which can get you through any trail Nature lays before you.

James just built his mom the blue Rubicon you see in our install videos and covered it in our aluminum armor. Now our aluminum bumpers and skid plates are 1/4" thick, but that's their key. We know based on her driving style in Moab (you bet she wheels with the boys) and daily driving in Nebraska that aluminum will work just fine for her, be safe, and obviously keep some weight off the Jeep.

Have these been tested? the thing that keeps me away from aluminum even at 1/4" are the following thoughts I have (no real science or experience) on aluminum versus steel

1. aluminum less less flexible than steel and instead of bending it can break

1. a rock hit will cause more damage and gouging

2. a winch mounted to aluminum will not have as much mounting strength and can deform, warp or break under the stress of a winch pull

weight savings is great but the abuse it has to endure on the trail... :thinking:

Top Bottom