I'm looking to replace my axles

Jeep2010

I have a sport and don't want to break my dana 30 this summer. So I want to replace both to 44s. I either need to know everything that id need or some great complete axles. I'd rather not spend 12,000 on two axles. Thanks for any advice.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The rear 44 on your sport is a true 44. If you dont plan on running more that a 37" tire I suggest you keep the rear and just replace the front with a PR44.

Jackal01

Just call Northridge 4x4 (forum sponsor) and tell them what your plans are for the Jeep. They will get you what you need.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The rear 44 on your sport is a true 44. If you dont plan on running more that a 37" tire I suggest you keep the rear and just replace the front with a PR44.

Yup this ^^ if/when the rear does break you can get a trail or pr60

Jeep2010

I am planning on going to 37s in the future that's why I'm looking to replace both. But on the other hand I've been going back and forth on whether to just do the lift tires and rear axle at the same time.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I am planning on going to 37s in the future that's why I'm looking to replace both. But on the other hand I've been going back and forth on whether to just do the lift tires and rear axle at the same time.

Sport and Sahara rear axles are fine for 37" tires, throw a arb locker, axle shafts and you don't have to be worried. You only need one spare shaft also. But the front I would look into.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Sport and Sahara rear axles are fine for 37" tires, throw a arb locker, axle shafts and you don't have to be worried. You only need one spare shaft also. But the front I would look into.

^ What he said. The problem isnt the housing, its the internals. Your rear 44 can accommodate up to 35 spline shafts and a 5.13 gear ratio. More than enough to perform with 37s.

blackops

You should consider changing the front axle housing not the rear if you're only going to do one for now. I just finished installing the pr44 front and regeared the rear factory 44. I can testify that the pr44 is a quality housing, and the install went pretty smooth.

Jackal01

So the D44 rear should get chromoly shafts if 37s are planned? I am confused. On a Sport if 37s are planned (and no larger) a PR44 with 5.13 and ARB locker. For the rear just regear to 5.13 and add ARB locker without doing shafts? Or maybe I am missing a step. :thinking:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
So the D44 rear should get chromoly shafts if 37s are planned? I am confused. On a Sport if 37s are planned (and no larger) a PR44 with 5.13 and ARB locker. For the rear just regear to 5.13 and add ARB locker without doing shafts? Or maybe I am missing a step. :thinking:

I would replace the shafts as well if you are going to do 37s.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Well there are two route to go for the rear and they are ......

1.put in a 30 spline (sport/Sahara models or 32 spline for rubicons) arb and Run the stock shafts till you bend a flange. Upgrade to chromoly's after.

2. Put in a 35 spline Arb and put in 35 spline chromoly's

The later is the more expensive route but it's also a stronger set up.

newbie question

I´ve understood that on the sport and saharah the front d30 is the weak part whenn it comes to axles. If you change that to a pr44 for example, will the dana44 rear stock axle now be the weak part or are the rear stock 44 and the pr44 front more or less equal in strenght to each other? Feels like the original setup is maybee not very balanced if you can say so.

thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
newbie question

I´ve understood that on the sport and saharah the front d30 is the weak part whenn it comes to axles. If you change that to a pr44 for example, will the dana44 rear stock axle now be the weak part or are the rear stock 44 and the pr44 front more or less equal in strenght to each other? Feels like the original setup is maybee not very balanced if you can say so.

thanks

The rear 44 is a true d44 so it is strong but compared to the pr44 yes it becomes the next weak point. You will be fine wheeling on it for a long time and if/when it breaks you can upgrade to a much stronger Dynatrac trail 60 or ProRock 60

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Now I am curious. I knew the sport rear 44 and rubicon 44 had different shafts and lengths. And obviously different differentials. Are the actual housings the same? Would they both take the 35 spline ARB and equal length?? shafts?

Wondering for future planning.

Top Bottom