Windshield crack from heat/cold?

scull20

It's been quite frigid here in NJ the past couple days. Got in the jeep today after work and turned my front defroster on...30 seconds later..."pop" and a large crack running horizontally about 2 inches from the bottom came out of nowhere.

Could this have been attributed to the cold outside and the blast furnace temperature heat on the inside from the defroster?

From my searches, it seems like JK windshields get replaced about as frequently as the gas in their gas tanks.

I'm still under warranty...but is it even worth my time going to the dealer to get this looked at? I have a feeling they're just going to attribute it to a rock and send me packing.

-Ryan

MaxPower

I've heard of this but havnt had it happen to me. I would think if you're covered under warranty they should take care of it. I'd atleast take it because the worst they could say is no

Christarp

if they try to say it's a rock you could ask them to point out exactly where it impacted for you (hopefully they won't be able to find anything), that being said I don't know if they would cover it. I have heard of this happening before, and my friend had this exact same thing happen to him.

xrocknrollx

Same thing happened to me.... But after investigating I learned it was a crack from a rock on the edge of the windshield in the blacked out area that I did not notice.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Happened to me and it was somewhere between 35-45° with the defroster on haha...not covered under warranty and no chips or any other signs of debris hitting it.

tdougherty81

Same thing happened to me.... But after investigating I learned it was a crack from a rock on the edge of the windshield in the blacked out area that I did not notice.

Happen to me too, rock chip in the black area. It was fine then one day it popped, shot a crack across the driver side.

Remlap

It's been quite frigid here in NJ the past couple days. Got in the jeep today after work and turned my front defroster on...30 seconds later..."pop" and a large crack running horizontally about 2 inches from the bottom came out of nowhere.

Could this have been attributed to the cold outside and the blast furnace temperature heat on the inside from the defroster?

From my searches, it seems like JK windshields get replaced about as frequently as the gas in their gas tanks.

I'm still under warranty...but is it even worth my time going to the dealer to get this looked at? I have a feeling they're just going to attribute it to a rock and send me packing.

-Ryan

There is a term for glass breakage called Thermal Stress if you want to check it out (I deal with it from time to time in my line of work).

Extreme temperature difference spread throughout a pane of glass is the main cause and normally occurs due to a flaw in the edge of the glass. It would be characterized by a crack running perpendicular from an edge then splitting off within a few inches, running one or more crack lines parallel to the factory edge.

I have never seen it occur in anything other than annealed glass but it is possible.

If that is what it looks like, with no visible rock chip, maybe you can convince them it was a manufacturer defect on the windshield. That bastard is in-between the bumpers last I checked ha-ha.

Hit em' with that shit, hope it works!

Wardell

I've never actually seen this happen, but I have seen plenty of vehicles with this sort of crack across the lower windshield. If there's a weak spot in the glass, I suppose it's just a matter of time before a constant freeze & thaw causes it to expand.

All this reminds me that I still have a rock chip in my windshield that I need to get taken care of before it can spread...

KingCopperhead

Happened to me this weekend :-( had -10 degree weather in NY. Driving to work and same story, POP started out as a small crack, by the time I got home after my night of work, it spanned the bottom of the windshield.

Sucks. If the dealership won't warranty it, I have full glass coverage on my insurance. Gonna have to order a new wayalife banner now lmao.

Wardell

You're lucky your insurance will cover it. I have no such luck up here... glass damage is way to common for anyone to cover that because they gravel the roads in winter. :gaah:

TerpForHire

I worked for a windshield company and the change in temp can mess with your glass especially with a small (maybe can't even see) chip or weak spot.

I agree with the previous post that your insurance is probably the route to go. Usually only $50-$100 deductible and might be covered 100%. Your insurance company sees a bad windshield as a liability.

Either way, good luck

jeeeep

Hooked

-Ryan

it's not unusual,
The slightest chip will cause it to crack.

Used to have it happen on my Jeeps and other cars when I lived in winter areas. I found it happened less if I warm up the interior, scraped the windshield, then slowly introduce the heat to the windshield - usually a 20 minute+ ordeal depending on the ice. I've gotten in a cold car, shut the door and then the sweet sound of "pop" as I watched a crack spread across the windshield.

I've also had it happen in a carwash on a hot summer day when the cold water hits the hot windshield.

scull20

Quick update:

After calling multiple dealerships in the area and finally confirming with 877-IAM-JEEP, the front windshield and rear glass are indeed covered under warranty.

The catch...it's for 1 year, 12,000 miles.

Naturally I'm at 13k.

I think I'll just wait for the spring for the warmer weather and less debris on the road from salt and potholes.

-Ryan

USMC Wrangler

I've already had two replacement windshields in my JKU. Both were before I had it for a year and both caused by oil field trucks passing the opposite direction. Mine were covered under my comprehensive coverage, so just had to pay the $100 deductible. A buddy with a '09 had his replaced with an aftermarket version (no little Jeep in the corner) for about $150 in San Antonio. He chose not to use his comp coverage, but I cannot remember why.

Sorry it happened, but the F-150 I had for 11 years got a new windshield at least once a year. Yes, the Wrangler windshield has a steeper angle to deflect this stuff, but it just seems to happen to me a lot, no matter what I drive.

Good luck and stay warm!

CJW

Same thing just happened to me last weekend. Really cold out, blasting the defroster, then pop! Was actually thinking it cold have been the temp difference. Now I see this thread.....sounds like a jeep defect to me.
......and no chips in that area by the way.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a 2010 and have replaced the windshield 3 time.

The last chip I got in it last summer was pretty big, a car wash was doing chip repair for $20 so I figure why not - it's still holding strong almost 2 years :thumb:

Flyboy88

Happened to me two days ago in WV! Safelite came out and did a "repair" yesterday, then it spread horizontally when I went out later. Just called insurance to get a replacement. Only a $50 glass deductible on my policy.

Edit: Not sure why the pic is sideways...

Attachments

• 1424453994158.jpg
    1424453994158.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom