Replacing Front DS Question

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Hi all!

Just made the jump to 37" Nittos and, as expected, the 4.10s aren't going to cut it.

I've spoken with Drew down at ORE and I'm planning on getting regeared to 5.13s in the very near future. While I'm at it, I think it would be worth it to replace my front driveshaft so the yoke can be changed. Talking with Drew, he recommends a 1350 Coast or Reel.

My only concern about changing out the front DS is drive line vibes. I am currently vibe free with the stock shaft and 37" Nittos. My caster is at 4.2° and has been corrected to that value using AEV correction brackets.

With caster at 4.2°, should I be safe going replacing the driveshaft and remaining vibration free? Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
-ERAU

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So long as you keep your stock caster, you should be fine even with 5.13's. And, in reality, there's no real way around a new u-joint style drive shaft. Even if you were to deal with the exhaust cross over, you would still wear out your CV boot due to the steep angle it's sitting in.

Hi all!

Just made the jump to 37" Nittos and, as expected, the 4.10s aren't going to cut it.

I've spoken with Drew down at ORE and I'm planning on getting regeared to 5.13s in the very near future. While I'm at it, I think it would be worth it to replace my front driveshaft so the yoke can be changed. Talking with Drew, he recommends a 1350 Coast or Reel.

My only concern about changing out the front DS is drive line vibes. I am currently vibe free with the stock shaft and 37" Nittos. My caster is at 4.2° and has been corrected to that value using AEV correction brackets.

With caster at 4.2°, should I be safe going replacing the driveshaft and remaining vibration free? Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
-ERAU

I run 5.13's and you will be very happy with those. (especially rock crawling)

I run the 1350 Reel drive shaft - I have moved my castor all around and settled in a 5* and start to vibrate @ 80mph - I'm not thrilled with it but it is a compromise for handling and it is only slight. If you like the way it handles now with the 37's and 4.2* then your drive line should be vibration free. But every Jeep is different (in my opinion). Not sure you can be completely vibration free with a fair amount of castor - its a give and take on handling.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
So long as you keep your stock caster, you should be fine even with 5.13's. And, in reality, there's no real way around a new u-joint style drive shaft. Even if you were to deal with the exhaust cross over, you would still wear out your CV boot due to the steep angle it's sitting in.

I actually made the mistake when I first built up the Jeep of installing the AFE Y-Pipe. It's actually a nice part, however, I wish I would have done it right with the DS in the first place.

Live and learn I guess! :)

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I run 5.13's and you will be very happy with those. (especially rock crawling)

I run the 1350 Reel drive shaft - I have moved my castor all around and settled in a 5* and start to vibrate @ 80mph - I'm not thrilled with it but it is a compromise for handling and it is only slight. If you like the way it handles now with the 37's and 4.2* then your drive line should be vibration free. But every Jeep is different (in my opinion). Not sure you can be completely vibration free with a fair amount of castor - its a give and take on handling.

Thanks Brandon!

It will probably help that I usually keep the speed to 65-70mph. :)

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Me too :thumb: and like I said I have experienced a fine line on this - if you pull the castor less then 4.2 you will have 0 vibration but you won't want to drive 80 :cheesy:

I'm hoping to run this setup for a year or so and then I'm planning a visit to ORE which would include a new front axle with 10° of pinion/caster separation. ORE says they like to run 5-6° of caster and I realize that isn't going to happen with my current setup.

I'm hoping to run this setup for a year or so and then I'm planning a visit to ORE which would include a new front axle with 10° of pinion/caster separation. ORE says they like to run 5-6° of caster and I realize that isn't going to happen with my current setup.

I have been running it for 10 months now (16k miles or so) and so far so good. And yes after I get the front half of my C/O's a axle housing with more separation should be next. :beer:

jeeeep

Hooked
been running my PR44 with Coast front DS since May 2014, still able to go 85-90 no vibrations, didn't have any issues with the stock D44 either :thumb:

jkur77

I have stock axle, 37's, and 5.13 gears. I have been running the coast 1310 in the front since 2012, and so far no issues. I wish I would've went with the 1350 just for the added security.

aermotor

I put in a 1310 Tom Woods myself almost 5 years ago and never experienced any issues with driveline vibration. I read a lot of scare tactics about it, but never had a single issue myself. Make sure your caster angle is good and you'll be just fine. Well, ORE will do all that for you :)

Top Bottom