Battery on JK

Randonizer

Well I experienced a dead battery yesterday morning and the morning before in this cold weather we have. So I unplugged the negative last night and plug it in this morning and started right up. So obviously something is draining the battery. Now I just need to find out what. But I was wondering if I needed to upgrade my battery since I do have a winch, cb, a light bar and two set of LEDs hooked up to my jeep.

Do you have your lights and CB wired directly to the battery or are they going through a relay? I would start by disconnecting the winch and see what that does then disconnect items to see which is causing the draw.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
It would be a good idea to install a SPOD or a DIY mini-bussman to ensure you have a fuse and a relay between your components and your battery at a minimum. There are great write-ups on here for both types of installs. Not hard, just a little time consuming. You'll know your Jeep a lot better after you do the install.

Running your 12,000lb winch alone under heavy strain may destroy your stock battery. I would look into upgrading your battery to a heavy duty battery with at least 650 CCA. Keep the stock battery as a back-up or sell it.

Randonizer

Do you have your lights and CB wired directly to the battery or are they going through a relay? I would start by disconnecting the winch and see what that does then disconnect items to see which is causing the draw.

Set up through a relay. Winch is direct. Was planning on disconnecting each item to see what is drawing. But my question is the stock jk battery too small to power all the extra accessories

Randonizer

It would be a good idea to install a SPOD or a DIY mini-bussman to ensure you have a fuse and a relay between your components and your battery at a minimum. There are great write-ups on here for both types of installs. Not hard, just a little time consuming. You'll know your Jeep a lot better after you do the install.

Running your 12,000lb winch alone under heavy strain may destroy your stock battery. I would look into upgrading your battery to a heavy duty battery with at least 650 CCA. Keep the stock battery as a back-up or sell it.

I have a diy dbox like YouTube user newerejk made.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I had this happen (2012 battery) about a week ago, the jeep did sit for maybe 2 weeks tho without being driven and it was very cold, but the batter was a little low, but I ended up just getting a higher cca one that fit at the store cuz I was going wheeling the next day.

Running the spod and winch to the battery so I dunno if something was draining the system or if I killed it winching.

jkur77

I am also having this problem. My jeep only does this after sitting 4 to 5 days.I'm gonna do some digging. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Set up through a relay. Winch is direct. Was planning on disconnecting each item to see what is drawing. But my question is the stock jk battery too small to power all the extra accessories

No it's not to small. I'm still running the stock battery in my '11 with a winch, cb, and light bar. You must have the winch pulling power for some reason for it to drain it like that or a short somewhere else.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Use a meter and see if you have a draw from something. I am no expert, but I would disconnect a cable, probably the ground, and put the meter between the cable and the post on dc volts. That is how I would start. If you show a draw, then disconnect one item a time (pulling each relay would work too).

Also, check your battery terminals for corrosion and clean them. I have never had long term luck with car batteries after they die once though.

Good luck.

Randonizer

Use a meter and see if you have a draw from something. I am no expert, but I would disconnect a cable, probably the ground, and put the meter between the cable and the post on dc volts. That is how I would start. If you show a draw, then disconnect one item a time (pulling each relay would work too).

Also, check your battery terminals for corrosion and clean them. I have never had long term luck with car batteries after they die once though.

Good luck.

Yeah I am aware of this method, I just have not had time to do it yet. The battery is good as I had it tested the other day. I know something is draining the battery but thought maybe I needed a bigger battery since I have several accessories connected.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
When the lights, etc are not being used, there should be no draw (or extra draw when driving).

Sounds like something is bleeding juice somewhere for sure then. Not sure, but I think it is possible a relay itself could cause it. When you figure out what circuit, I would swap a relay and see if it changes. Check for pinched or worn wires on the circuit too.

I am no electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Exprees last night (seems like that is an old commercial that nobody knows any more).

Good luck. Definately a pain to figure out.

Randonizer

When the lights, etc are not being used, there should be no draw (or extra draw when driving).

Sounds like something is bleeding juice somewhere for sure then. Not sure, but I think it is possible a relay itself could cause it. When you figure out what circuit, I would swap a relay and see if it changes. Check for pinched or worn wires on the circuit too.

I am no electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Exprees last night (seems like that is an old commercial that nobody knows any more).

Good luck. Definately a pain to figure out.

Yeah something is draining for sure cause I disconnected the negative the other night and put it back on the morning and it fired right up. Problem is gonna be finding the drain. And yeah that is an old commercial but defiantly remember them haha.

darthmurdoch

I had a charger attached to the power outlet in the center console and even though there was nothing being charged it still drained the battery.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I had a charger attached to the power outlet in the center console and even though there was nothing being charged it still drained the battery.

I have read that wall chargers use as much juice with nothing connected as they do charging stuff. A 12v phone charger type should't be that bad though, unless it is a weak battery. I have had dying batteries still test ok at the store. My home charger on the other hand says just about any battery is bad, and refuses to charge. Stupid computerized charger. Or is it?

Check for a draw and go from there. Then go for likely sources first.

Randonizer

Good luck.

Well just tested my battery, it's good. Alternator tests good. Unplugged winch and lights and negative terminal test still shows a drain. Pulled each fuse one at a time and none are draining it. So I have no idea what is draining it.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
The only thing I can think right now is to try pulling relays while you have the meter connected. Don't forget the underhood and under dash for fuses and relays and anything that may have been tapped for power (fuses should have caught all of this I would think).

Now that I think about it, there should be some very minor drain for the brain and radio. But very minor.

Since you have a 14, might be time for a dealer check. I could check my 13 for what the normal draw is tomorrow, if I can find my meter since I moved. I don't think I left it OK. I have a winch, but no lights.

Randonizer

I have tapped into a couple spots in the interior but they all seemed fine. I'm taking it to a dealer today, so I'll see what they say.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
The battery is more than sufficient, but these types of scenarios are what dual battery setups were made for.

Randonizer

Well couldn't get it started this morning and missed the dealership appointment and have to take it Monday now. Really annoying that a 2014 jeep is having this problem. Already has a bad clock spring so i don't know if that is the battery drain issue

Top Bottom