Blown Head Gasket ?

Got an 08 with 90,000 give or take. Won't start up and when it does got exhaust coming out near the manifold and oil smells like gas, think my diagnosis is correct ?

Check the oil and see if it is milky. usually an big indication that the head gasket is blown. Also you would be smelling anti-freeze and not gas. I am not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

SFNick

Does not sound like a head gasket. Sounds like a leak in the intake manifold gasket, which causes the computer to think the engine is running leaner so the computer compensates by richer fuel mixture.

Well just called Jeep and I am no longer under warranty... so I don't know if I want to go through the effort of rebuilding this motor or just get a new one... I don't have the money for a swap so that is sadly not an option for me. :grayno:

el_chupo_

did you ask how much to diagnose?

Do you have a reputable independent mechanic that can look at it for you?

As noted above, head gaskets typically dont result in gas smells, its usually anti-freeze.

Well just called Jeep and I am no longer under warranty... so I don't know if I want to go through the effort of rebuilding this motor or just get a new one... I don't have the money for a swap so that is sadly not an option for me. :grayno:

What you are not liquid for $100k. 😜

Take it to the base hobby shop and have the mechanic look at it for you.

did you ask how much to diagnose?

Do you have a reputable independent mechanic that can look at it for you?

As noted above, head gaskets typically dont result in gas smells, its usually anti-freeze.

55$ for an hour for downtown, don't trust the mechanics on base.

jeeeep

Hooked
doesn't sound like a head gasket sounds more like a cracked manifold or gasket. I would check the manifold bolts to see if any are lose and if not, remove it to check for cracks, gaskets are around $10, manifold around $80
it's easy to do, just time consuming

Figured out what the issue is, the tanks for premium unleaded at Minot AFB got filled with diesel by mistake... So repairs will be made by the gas stations company/insurance

jeeeep

Hooked
wow! well, good they admitted fault and will take care of it. you did want a diesel though right??:doh:

el_chupo_

Push hard, and worst case see if they can pay for an extended warranty or guarantee. And when it does go in for repairs, talk to the tech working on it. Tell him to check for anything else. Even if they wont pay for it, it will probably be cheaper to have them fix anything else or replace other gaskets/seals while it is already apart. May only cost you parts, or they may toss it in for free if it is minor.

May not work, but I have had good luck with that in the past, though mine was with a door ding when it was getting a new fender due to a lady not paying attention. But I got the door fixed and resprayed for way less because they were already doing work, and painting...

Push hard, and worst case see if they can pay for an extended warranty or guarantee. And when it does go in for repairs, talk to the tech working on it. Tell him to check for anything else. Even if they wont pay for it, it will probably be cheaper to have them fix anything else or replace other gaskets/seals while it is already apart. May only cost you parts, or they may toss it in for free if it is minor.

May not work, but I have had good luck with that in the past, though mine was with a door ding when it was getting a new fender due to a lady not paying attention. But I got the door fixed and resprayed for way less because they were already doing work, and painting...

Thanks man, I appreciate the information. I am push for all I can outta this. It ran for a solid 45 minutes on diesel

Last edited:
What did it damage running on diesel?

No clue as of now, she is currently sitting in front of my work building. Do know that she wont turn over, cranking though so it isn't seized up, which is good I guess. However there is thick smoke coming from where the headers mate up to the block so I mighta fried a multitude of gaskets but wont know for sure until it gets taken to a shop on the trucking company's dime so who knows how long that can take. Appreciate yalls good thoughts and such.:grayno:

jeeeep

Hooked
No clue as of now, she is currently sitting in front of my work building. Do know that she wont turn over, cranking though so it isn't seized up, which is good I guess. However there is thick smoke coming from where the headers mate up to the block so I mighta fried a multitude of gaskets but wont know for sure until it gets taken to a shop on the trucking company's dime so who knows how long that can take. Appreciate yalls good thoughts and such.:grayno:

chances are they won't do much more than drain the tank, fill it with gas, maybe add some octane boost and then keep trying to start it until it fires up and burns any remaining diesel off.

Since diesel is oily it hasn't done any damage. just won't fire because it's so thick and oily.

I had a couple of friends that were severely mechanically challenged and filled the tank with diesel on his mother's car...when I asked how they even got the nozzle in, they said they didn't - they just held it and pumped slow!!! they wondered why it didn't fit. These are the same mechanical savants that thought they'd check the antifreeze level and when they couldn't see any on the dipstick (hint), they proceeded to fill it with about 4 gallons of antifreeze, they checked and filled the engine block with anti-freeze! drove about a block before it died :doh: anti-freeze and oil don't mix

chances are they won't do much more than drain the tank, fill it with gas, maybe add some octane boost and then keep trying to start it until it fires up and burns any remaining diesel off.

Since diesel is oily it hasn't done any damage. just won't fire because it's so thick and oily.

I had a couple of friends that were severely mechanically challenged and filled the tank with diesel on his mother's car...when I asked how they even got the nozzle in, they said they didn't - they just held it and pumped slow!!! they wondered why it didn't fit. These are the same mechanical savants that thought they'd check the antifreeze level and when they couldn't see any on the dipstick (hint), they proceeded to fill it with about 4 gallons of antifreeze, they checked and filled the engine block with anti-freeze! drove about a block before it died :doh: anti-freeze and oil don't mix

Just don't know how bad the damage would be from running it diesel/premium mix for 50 minutes or so

Top Bottom