Clock-spring replacement

Clark Collins

I just had my clock-spring replaced at our local Jeep dealer. (airbag light flashing) Parts and labor came to just over $380. I checked all over the web to see if there was any information on an extended warranty for this issue and couldn't find anything other than for the RHD models. If anyone has verification of Jeep extending the warranty for this, please post it so the rest of us can possibly get reimbursed. Have any of you that have had this issue reported it to the NHTSB? This appears to be a common JK problem that Jeep should address.

Mikes Offroad

Not sure if it is the same for you guys in the states but Chrysler Canada replaced mine and said that it would now be covered till I think it was 180000km. I will try to find the letter but to be honest it was last year. If it helps it is an 2007, my sons went out on his 2008 and they said that it was only the 2007 that were covered under this recall.

Last edited:

jknikos

I have a 2010 model and have the clockspring issue. The dealership here doesnt cover it. Jeep should extend the warranty for this cause it happens to everyone i know with a jk.:naw::naw::naw:

BumblebeeZA

Yip, Im in South Africa with a 2008 JKU Rubicon (RHD) also a clockspring issue. Dealer wants to know NOTHING!
I still have a hooter and cruise control, just the airbag light chime and light every 5mins :mad:

Ill order a new one from Amazon soon and fit my self, its pretty basic to replace it, I took mine off to see If I could repair it, but I got no clue how to open the clockspring itself :crazyeyes:

Clark Collins

filed complaint

filed the following complaint today with the NHTSA. Hopefully enough people will file and Chrysler will be compelled to reimburse us for this faulty part replacement.

"While driving the Jeep the airbag warning light came on with the warning chime. The light continued to go on and off intermittently and the chime sounded. I took the Jeep to the local dealer who I bought it from and they determined it was a faulty clock spring in the steering column. I researched this issue on line and learned that this is a common problem on this model of Jeep. Right hand drive models have been recalled for this issue and the clock springs replaced, but there is no such recall for the Left hand drive vehicles. The on line information indicated that this issue could cause the airbag to not deploy in an accident, so I had it replaced by the dealer at my expense. This issue should be addressed by Chrysler and owners who've had their clock springs replaced for this issue should be reimbursed for their expense."

2011jk

I filed last year, I keep the old one and my receipt....and fingers crossed that we will get our $ back.

Clark Collins

filed complaint

I also filed a complaint with Chrysler with the same wording as I used in the NHTSA complaint and have gotten a request from customer service for the info on my dealer who replaced the part. I'll post updates to this thread as this progresses.

Top Bottom