Tire Rotation

TheStick

So I've been slacking on doing my tire rotations. As Gus would say, I'm glad I'm not afraid to be lazy.

Anyways, my spare tread is now measuring a solid 1/8" + more of tread than the others. Do you think it is still safe to rotate in? Or should I just start doing the basic 4 tire rotation?

The 4 on now have about 20k miles on them and it's been about 10k since my last rotation (so the spare has about 10k on it).

If it matters, I will more than likely stick with 35's for my next set of tires.

And before anyone says it. I know. I know :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can rotate your spare in without any problems but honestly, at this point and time, I would just stick with a standard 4 tire rotation and call it a day. With as many miles as you have on them, you'll just need to get 4 new tires as opposed to 5 when the time comes.

toxicwaste29

I was doing a 5 tire on mine until they got low on tread. The past 10k miles or so I haven't changed them just because they are almost worn down there is no reason in my mind at this point.

TheStick

Cool. I like the advice. Getting that spare on and off is a PITA :D

I'm putting 20k miles on a year unfortunately, so a new set isn't far down the road anyways.

Then. Just maybe. 37's :D

aermotor

You can rotate your spare in without any problems but honestly, at this point and time, I would just stick with a standard 4 tire rotation and call it a day. With as many miles as you have on them, you'll just need to get 4 new tires as opposed to 5 when the time comes.

This is the way to go.

I had a nice 5 tire rotation going until I I got a non-repairable flat a couple years into the tires, so then I had a brand new one that I just keep as the spare. Eventually I needed another one replaced and ended up with 2 older ones and 2 newer ones.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug

Sound advice. Can't speak for anyone but my guess is lots of us change sizes and brands often. I like to do a five tire every 5k from the git in an attempt maximize mileage and minimize weird tread wear. After 11k mi. on my stock size Trail Graps it looks like they are happy and I am to. Good luck with whatever you choose.:yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I did 5 with my Duratracs and 4 with my Nittos. I'll be doing a 5 tire rotation with my new set of Nittos. To me it doesn't make sense to have a $400 tire sitting on the back of my jeep getting exposed to the sun and never using it. I was able to purchase a certificate from DT for the spare and will simply rotate it in as soon as the others show up.

5 tire with every oil change just cause. I also wouldn't hesitate to rotate that spare in this case. Especially if you plan on buying 5 tires when your due for them.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424365225.595186.jpg .

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I still don't think it makes sense to not rotate it in. What if you get a flat with your tires at 40 or 50%, now you have one brand new tire and 3 at 40%.

Yes, but I treat my spare as exactly that, a spare. I roll on it to get the other fixed (if I can't do it myself) and then put the fixed tire back. I don't treat my spare as "one of the 4 boys"....I treat it like a donut in a sedan....but thats just me. Having said that, In my 3 years of owning 2 JKs with duratracs, I have yet to have a flat.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Yes, but I treat my spare as exactly that, a spare. I roll on it to get the other fixed (if I can't do it myself) and then put the fixed tire back. I don't treat my spare as "one of the 4 boys"....I treat it like a donut in a sedan....but thats just me. Having said that, In my 3 years of owning 2 JKs with duratracs, I have yet to have a flat.

So you don't rotate your spare?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So you don't rotate your spare?

Nope. Never did it on any vehicle I've ever owned. I don't see the point (for someone like me that won't switch tire sizes/brand) Just my preference. Not saying rotating all 5 is wrong, I just don't see the benefit.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Ok and if you get a flat because of sidewall damage then you put a new spare on and replace the damaged one you still have one new tire and 3 that are half tread.

And no offense but you don't really wheel (and when you do it's not rocky or fast) so I can see how you haven't gotten a flat. Between one buddy and myself we have had 5 flats in a year and a half.

I mean nothing offensive by that, just putting things into perspective.

Top Bottom